Wiki Loves Monuments Android App v1.1beta2

pchang at wikimedia

Aug 17, 2012, 6:44 PM

Wiki Loves Monuments Android App v1.1beta2

Greetings WLM testers,

Below you'll find a new beta of our android app that's very close to being
feature complete.

As before, make sure to have "Unknown sources" in Settings => Applications
turned on.

Uploads will go to test wiki so feel free to upload whatever you like.

Download:
http://dumps.wikimedia.org/android/WLM-v1.1beta2.apk

Feedback:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Monuments_mobile_application/Feedback

Please try the following:
* Browse by campaign and drill down to the desired region's monuments
* Sort the list by name and address
* Search with a search term
* Open a monument, click on "Get directions"
* Click on add a photo
* Login or create a Commons account
* Choose from gallery or take a photo
* Choose "Save for Later" on the Confirm Upload screen
* Click on "Use my current location"
* Move around the map, open a cluster (a group of monuments close together)
* Click on a pin, open the monument
* Add a photo (login should be retained)
* Choose "Save for Later" on the Confirm Upload screen
* Click OK and choose or take another photo
* Go to Uploads and see the uploads saved for later

Let us know what you think!

Known issues:

* Browse by country shows coded region names in some places
* Incomplete/Completed Uploads tab is buggy
* Upload of incomplete uploads not yet functional
* Some back behavior is inconsistent
* Sort by distance appears when browsing by country
* List view should have a "more" link when lists exceed 100 monuments

Please forward this email as appropriate.

--
Phil Inje Chang
Product Manager, Mobile

--
Phil Inje Chang
Product Manager, Mobile

kikkocristian at gmail

Aug 19, 2012, 11:45 AM

Re: Wiki Loves Monuments Android App v1.1beta2 [In reply to]

2012/8/18 Philip Chang <pchang [at] wikimedia>:
> Greetings WLM testers,
>
> Below you'll find a new beta of our android app that's very close to being
> feature complete.
>
> As before, make sure to have "Unknown sources" in Settings => Applications
> turned on.
>
> Uploads will go to test wiki so feel free to upload whatever you like.
>
> Download:
> http://dumps.wikimedia.org/android/WLM-v1.1beta2.apk
>
> Feedback:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Monuments_mobile_application/Feedback

Just one question:
reading the app development timeline[*], it says that the beta version
would be downloadable from the Play store as a beta app.
I tried to search it with no success, both from the play store[+] and
from the phone (the results I obtain are the same, btw) .

When will be the app available on the store? (or it's just me which
can't find it?)

Cristian

[*] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Monuments_mobile_application#Project_timeline
[+] https://play.google.com/store/search?q=wiki+loves+monuments&c=apps&price=0&sort=1

pchang at wikimedia

Aug 20, 2012, 10:18 AM

Re: Wiki Loves Monuments Android App v1.1beta2 [In reply to]

Very sorry for the confusion. We scaled back this beta release because it
was not yet at a point where a public beta release on Google Play made
sense.

The project page will be updated to say the next release, which is intended
to be this Friday, will be put on Google Play.

Phil

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Cristian Consonni <kikkocristian [at] gmail