EtherEditor testing, round 3: Minor stress test

mtraceur at member

Aug 15, 2012, 10:05 AM

EtherEditor testing, round 3: Minor stress test

Good evening, wikitech-l!

I've been developing an extension recently called EtherEditor [0]. I
emailed this list about it twice [1] before [2], mostly to ask for help
testing it at various times.

To sum up, the extension, with proper configuration, enables multi-user,
real-time collaborative editing of the wikitext of any page.

Well, this project is coming to the point where *I* think it's pretty
stable. There are still a few details to iron out, and I'm excited to
fix those things, but there are also a few things I haven't ever tested.
Most notably, multiple users for an extended period of time, and all the
fun bugs that are sure to appear in that case.

So I'm here to ask for some volunteers to help me test EtherEditor
tomorrow, between 20:00 and 22:00 UTC. I'll be in #ethereditor on
Freenode with a list of things to try out, and really, some number of
people helping me stress test the connections to the backend would be
immensely useful.

If you don't have an account on Freenode, or prefer to contact me in
some other way, the best way is probably to use this email address. If
you have any questions, you can always ask them on-list.

If you want to chat about the extension at any time, you can always join
the IRC channel (#ethereditor on Freenode), and I'm always online.
Remember that IRC isn't necessarily a synchronous communication system,
and be patient when asking questions.

In case you want to try the extension, it is and has been running on my
TestWiki instance [3], so feel free to attack it! If you could report
any problems on the Bugzilla [4], I will gladly fix them with great
quickness! If you want to try installing it on your own MediaWiki
instance, the mw.org entry [0] has some instructions for that. As
before, please report problems to the Bugzilla [4] :)

Links:

[0] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:EtherEditor
[1] http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2012-June/061188.html
[2] http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2012-July/061517.html
[3] http://etherpad.wmflabs.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
[4]
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=MediaWiki%20extensions&component=EtherEditor

Thanks, everyone!

--
Mark Holmquist
Contractor, Wikimedia Foundation

mail at tgries

Aug 15, 2012, 11:45 AM

Re: EtherEditor testing, round 3: Minor stress test [In reply to]

Am 15.08.2012 19:05, schrieb Mark Holmquist:
> Good evening, wikitech-l!

Mark

, nice, but why haven't you

+ installed the OpenID extension for simple account creation
+ set "collaborate" as default for any page
+ set collaborate as default in all newly created accounts in
http://etherpad.wmflabs.org/wiki/index.php/Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing

of that wiki.

mtraceur at member

Aug 15, 2012, 11:50 AM

Re: EtherEditor testing, round 3: Minor stress test [In reply to]

> + installed the OpenID extension for simple account creation

Registration is open, so account creation is simple now! Is there that
much increased ease with OpenID?

> + set "collaborate" as default for any page

This is a question of the extension's defaults--I assume that most
people will not want to have that default, but there is a way to enable
it on page load--set collaborate=true in the URL, or use the link in the
text field above the edit box.

> + set collaborate as default in all newly created accounts

That preference is actually pretty much deprecated, but I'll consider
fixing it up and using it again. I want the switch behavior to be part
of the testing, though, so I'll keep it as-is for now.

Thanks for the feedback!

Oh, and bonus: If you go to http://etherpad.wmflabs.org/pad/ you can
play with the Etherpad Lite interface without integration into MW.

--
Mark Holmquist
Contractor, Wikimedia Foundation
mtraceur [at] member
http://marktraceur.info

mail at tgries

Aug 15, 2012, 11:54 AM

Re: EtherEditor testing, round 3: Minor stress test [In reply to]

Am 15.08.2012 20:50, schrieb Mark Holmquist:
>> + installed the OpenID extension for simple account creation
>
> Registration is open, so account creation is simple now! Is there that
> much increased ease with OpenID?

Saves much time and efforts
You don't use it, otherwise you wouldn't have asked that question.

>> + set "collaborate" as default for any page
>
> This is a question of the extension's defaults--I assume that most
> people will not want to have that default, but there is a way to
> enable it on page load--set collaborate=true in the URL, or use the
> link in the text field above the edit box.
>
>> + set collaborate as default in all newly created accounts
>
> That preference is actually pretty much deprecated, but I'll consider
> fixing it up and using it again. I want the switch behavior to be part
> of the testing, though, so I'll keep it as-is for now.
>
> Thanks for the feedback!
>
> Oh, and bonus: If you go to http://etherpad.wmflabs.org/pad/ you can
> play with the Etherpad Lite interface without integration into MW.

Uhh, I *am* developer for Etherpad Lite and have that running in many of
my servers.

mtraceur at member

Aug 15, 2012, 11:58 AM

Re: EtherEditor testing, round 3: Minor stress test [In reply to]

> Saves much time and efforts
> You don't use it, otherwise you wouldn't have asked that question.

Clearly--but could you elaborate more as to why it's helpful? (Thomas is
currently in #ethereditor having this conversation)

> Uhh, I *am* developer for Etherpad Lite and have that running in many of
> my servers.

I have seen your patches, yes :)

It was more for the benefit of the others on the list who might be tired
or frustrated with the old etherpad.wikimedia.org interface.

--
Mark Holmquist
Contractor, Wikimedia Foundation
mtraceur [at] member
http://marktraceur.info

mail at tgries

Aug 15, 2012, 12:00 PM

Re: EtherEditor testing, round 3: Minor stress test [In reply to]

Am 15.08.2012 20:58, schrieb Mark Holmquist:
>> Saves much time and efforts
>> You don't use it, otherwise you wouldn't have asked that question.
>
> Clearly--but could you elaborate more as to why it's helpful? (Thomas
> is currently in #ethereditor having this conversation)
OpenID was discussed in other threads; a discussion of pros and cons
would be off-topic here.

mtraceur at member

Aug 16, 2012, 2:20 PM

Re: EtherEditor testing, round 3: Minor stress test [In reply to]

> So I'm here to ask for some volunteers to help me test EtherEditor
> tomorrow, between 20:00 and 22:00 UTC. I'll be in #ethereditor on
> Freenode with a list of things to try out, and really, some number of
> people helping me stress test the connections to the backend would be
> immensely useful.

All right! A bunch of awesome people showed up to help, and I got a
bunch of interesting results. I'm sure I'll be back soon to announce a
more stable release.

Thanks especially to Chris McMahon, Thomas Gries (Wikinaut), S Page, and
all the others who hopped on to help break my software :)