Lua deployed to test2wiki

tstarling at wikimedia

Aug 14, 2012, 7:49 PM

Lua deployed to test2wiki

The Lua extension (Scribunto) is now enabled on test2wiki.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially if it comes in the
form of bug reports and feature requests filed in the "Scribunto"
component in Bugzilla.

<https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=MediaWiki%20extensions&component=Scribunto>

-- Tim Starling

robla at wikimedia

Aug 14, 2012, 11:31 PM

Re: Lua deployed to test2wiki [In reply to]

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Tim Starling <tstarling [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> The Lua extension (Scribunto) is now enabled on test2wiki.
>
> Feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially if it comes in the
> form of bug reports and feature requests filed in the "Scribunto"
> component in Bugzilla.
>
> <https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=MediaWiki%20extensions&component=Scribunto>

Huzzah!

Next step is to deploy this on mediawiki.org, which we plan to do soon
(as early as next week). From there, we'll need some time figuring
out the performance characteristics of this (making sure we're
actually coming out ahead) as well as converting some key templates
over. Of course, I'm using "we" pretty loosely; Tim's largely been
managing this process himself. :)

Just poking around this evening, I imported some work that TheDJ did
over from scribunto.wmflabs.org over to test2, and it seems to work
about as well there:
http://test2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Coord/testcases

It looks like there still some work to do to finish off that template,
but he made a lot of progress.

One obvious target for converting to Lua would be the Cite template.
It would be really great to take an article with a long parse time
(e.g. the "Barack Obama" or "The Beatles"), import it to test2, and
try to get the parse time down to something reasonable simply by
converting the Cite+other key templates to Lua.

Rob

z at mzmcbride

Aug 15, 2012, 1:37 AM

Re: Lua deployed to test2wiki [In reply to]

Tim Starling wrote:
> The Lua extension (Scribunto) is now enabled on test2wiki.

test2wiki --> https://test2.wikipedia.org

Congrats on the deployment. :-) I'll probably file a few bugs against
Scribunto in the coming days.

MZMcBride

ori at wikimedia

Aug 20, 2012, 12:30 AM

Re: Lua deployed to test2wiki [In reply to]

On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> One obvious target for converting to Lua would be the Cite template.
> It would be really great to take an article with a long parse time
> (e.g. the "Barack Obama" or "The Beatles"), import it to test2, and
> try to get the parse time down to something reasonable simply by
> converting the Cite+other key templates to Lua.

Template:Cite is terrifyingly complex. What are some other key templates?

There must be others like me who want the fame and fortune of being an early adopter, without all that the hard work :)

--
Ori Livneh
ori [at] wikimedia

ori at wikimedia

Aug 20, 2012, 12:44 AM

Re: Lua deployed to test2wiki [In reply to]

To answer my own question:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_reports/Templates_transcluded_on_the_most_pages

--
Ori Livneh
ori [at] wikimedia

On Monday, August 20, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Ori Livneh wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> > One obvious target for converting to Lua would be the Cite template.
> > It would be really great to take an article with a long parse time
> > (e.g. the "Barack Obama" or "The Beatles"), import it to test2, and
> > try to get the parse time down to something reasonable simply by
> > converting the Cite+other key templates to Lua.
>

> Template:Cite is terrifyingly complex. What are some other key templates?
>
> There must be others like me who want the fame and fortune of being an early adopter, without all that the hard work :)
>
> --
> Ori Livneh
> ori [at] wikimedia (mailto:ori [at] wikimedia)

tylerromeo at gmail

Aug 20, 2012, 6:46 AM

Re: Lua deployed to test2wiki [In reply to]

I know if I happen to have time to learn Lua, I'd definitely tackle the
ArticleHistory template. One of the more complex ones out there.

*--*
*Tyler Romeo*
Major in Computer Science
www.whizkidztech.com | tylerromeo [at] gmail

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 3:44 AM, Ori Livneh <ori [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> To answer my own question:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_reports/Templates_transcluded_on_the_most_pages
>
> --
> Ori Livneh
> ori [at] wikimedia
>

> On Monday, August 20, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Ori Livneh wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> > > One obvious target for converting to Lua would be the Cite template.
> > > It would be really great to take an article with a long parse time
> > > (e.g. the "Barack Obama" or "The Beatles"), import it to test2, and
> > > try to get the parse time down to something reasonable simply by
> > > converting the Cite+other key templates to Lua.
> >

> > Template:Cite is terrifyingly complex. What are some other key templates?
> >
> > There must be others like me who want the fame and fortune of being an
> early adopter, without all that the hard work :)
> >
> > --
> > Ori Livneh
> > ori [at] wikimedia (mailto:ori [at] wikimedia)

z at mzmcbride

Aug 20, 2012, 8:29 PM

Re: Lua deployed to test2wiki [In reply to]

Ori Livneh wrote:
> On Monday, August 20, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Ori Livneh wrote:
>> On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Rob Lanphier wrote:
>>> One obvious target for converting to Lua would be the Cite template.
>>> It would be really great to take an article with a long parse time
>>> (e.g. the "Barack Obama" or "The Beatles"), import it to test2, and
>>> try to get the parse time down to something reasonable simply by
>>> converting the Cite+other key templates to Lua.
>>
>> Template:Cite is terrifyingly complex. What are some other key templates?
>>
>> There must be others like me who want the fame and fortune of being an early
>> adopter, without all that the hard work :)
>
> To answer my own question:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_reports/Templates_transcluded
> _on_the_most_pages

Templates that are transcluded a lot usually are not the most complex or the
most interesting.

As I understand it, brace substitution and recursion depth were/are the big
performance killers with ParserFunctions.

I could swear that you used to be able to profile Parser::BraceSubstitution
or something similar directly with a ?forceprofile=true or ?forcetrace=true
URL parameter, but it doesn't seem to be working now. (?forceprofile=true
still outputs an HTML comment with some profiling information;
?forcetrace=true seems to do nothing.)

I believe Tim has created or plans to create better profiling tools for
templates. I have no idea what the status of that is.

If you're looking for other nerdy/fun templates to convert, the chess
templates come to mind.

MZMcBride