Re: Show Pages by pageid not by title

lists at nadir-seen-fire

Aug 9, 2012, 12:08 AM

Re: Show Pages by pageid not by title

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 02:37:39 -0700, Jens Albrecht <jens.alb [at] gmx> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> is there a way to show a page not by using the title-form
> "index.php/Main_Page" but instead by using the page id like
> "index.php?pageid=X" ?
>
> I hope you get what I mean! Sorry for bad english.
>

> Regards

&curid= should work.

However you should avoid it as much as possible. There are multiple
situations where the page id for one page can change.

denny.vrandecic at wikimedia

Aug 9, 2012, 1:07 AM

Re: Show Pages by pageid not by title [In reply to]

2012/8/9 Daniel Friesen <lists [at] nadir-seen-fire>:
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 02:37:39 -0700, Jens Albrecht <jens.alb [at] gmx> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> is there a way to show a page not by using the title-form
>> "index.php/Main_Page" but instead by using the page id like
>> "index.php?pageid=X" ?
>>
>> I hope you get what I mean! Sorry for bad english.
>>

>> Regards
>

> &curid= should work.
>
> However you should avoid it as much as possible. There are multiple
> situations where the page id for one page can change.
>

> --
> ~Daniel Friesen (Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire) [http://daniel.friesen.name]

Can someone give examples of these situations? I thought the page id
would be even more stable than the page title for a page.

(Maybe the answer is: it depends on what you regard as "a page")

Cheers,
Denny

lists at nadir-seen-fire

Aug 9, 2012, 1:38 AM

Re: Show Pages by pageid not by title [In reply to]

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 01:07:21 -0700, Denny Vrandečić
<denny.vrandecic [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> 2012/8/9 Daniel Friesen <lists [at] nadir-seen-fire>:
>> On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 02:37:39 -0700, Jens Albrecht <jens.alb [at] gmx>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> is there a way to show a page not by using the title-form
>>> "index.php/Main_Page" but instead by using the page id like
>>> "index.php?pageid=X" ?
>>>
>>> I hope you get what I mean! Sorry for bad english.
>>>

>>> Regards
>>

>> &curid= should work.
>>
>> However you should avoid it as much as possible. There are multiple
>> situations where the page id for one page can change.
>>

>> --
>> ~Daniel Friesen (Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire) [http://daniel.friesen.name]
>
> Can someone give examples of these situations? I thought the page id
> would be even more stable than the page title for a page.
>
> (Maybe the answer is: it depends on what you regard as "a page")
>
> Cheers,
> Denny

This was actually a mediawiki-l mail. I use a gmane with a newsreader but
have to send via email. So I have to set the To: line manually every time.
I barely ever post to mediawiki-l so I instinctively used wikitech-l
instead by accident.

The primary case where a page id changes is deletion. If someone randomly
deletes a page (even if they have no valid reason and it's later
undeleted) when it's undeleted it usually comes back with a different
page_id. Because deletion is done by deleting the page row and inserting
revisions into the archive table.

denny.vrandecic at wikimedia

Aug 9, 2012, 1:42 AM

Re: Show Pages by pageid not by title [In reply to]

Thank you!

2012/8/9 Daniel Friesen <lists [at] nadir-seen-fire>:
> On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 01:07:21 -0700, Denny Vrandečić
> <denny.vrandecic [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>
>> 2012/8/9 Daniel Friesen <lists [at] nadir-seen-fire>:

>>> &curid= should work.
>>>
>>> However you should avoid it as much as possible. There are multiple
>>> situations where the page id for one page can change.
>>>

>>> --
>>> ~Daniel Friesen (Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire) [http://daniel.friesen.name]
>>

>> Can someone give examples of these situations? I thought the page id
>> would be even more stable than the page title for a page.
>>
>> (Maybe the answer is: it depends on what you regard as "a page")
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Denny
>

> This was actually a mediawiki-l mail. I use a gmane with a newsreader but
> have to send via email. So I have to set the To: line manually every time. I
> barely ever post to mediawiki-l so I instinctively used wikitech-l instead
> by accident.
>
> The primary case where a page id changes is deletion. If someone randomly
> deletes a page (even if they have no valid reason and it's later undeleted)
> when it's undeleted it usually comes back with a different page_id. Because
> deletion is done by deleting the page row and inserting revisions into the
> archive table.
>

> --
> ~Daniel Friesen (Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire) [http://daniel.friesen.name]

Project director Wikidata
Tel. +49-30-219 158 26-0 | http://wikimedia.de

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das