Free software license for (global) gadgets

helder.wiki at gmail

Aug 6, 2012, 6:45 PM

Free software license for (global) gadgets

Hi!

According to some pages on mediawiki.org[1][2], it seems that wiki is
going to be
a central repository for gadgets which will be shared with WMF projects
(and other projects using MediaWiki).

I would like to know if there is any chance of changing the licence requirements
for the new "Gadget:" namespace of this central wiki, so that they can be
licensed under a true free ''software'' licence such as GPL (without needing to
license also under CC-BY-SA, which is not compatible).
The main advantage is that this would allow us to import GPL-licensed scripts
for use on WMF wikis. Gadget developers could e.g.:
* Copy parts of MediaWiki code, and modify it on-wiki (to try to fix bugs,
or to customize the default behavior)
* Adapt other external scripts for use on Wikimedia Wikis.
See also[3].

What do you think?

Best regards,
Helder

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ResourceLoader/Version_2_Design_Specification#Shared_gadgets
[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Thread:Talk:ResourceLoader/V2_testing/Questions_about_permission_model_and_developer_workflow
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(policy)#Proper_licensing_of_gadgets_and_user_scripts

raylton.sousa at gmail

Aug 7, 2012, 12:57 PM

Re: Free software license for (global) gadgets [In reply to]

I'm also interested in a reply

2012/8/6 Helder . <helder.wiki [at] gmail>

> Hi!
>
> According to some pages on mediawiki.org[1][2], it seems that wiki is
> going to be
> a central repository for gadgets which will be shared with WMF projects
> (and other projects using MediaWiki).
>
> I would like to know if there is any chance of changing the licence
> requirements
> for the new "Gadget:" namespace of this central wiki, so that they can be
> licensed under a true free ''software'' licence such as GPL (without
> needing to
> license also under CC-BY-SA, which is not compatible).
> The main advantage is that this would allow us to import GPL-licensed
> scripts
> for use on WMF wikis. Gadget developers could e.g.:
> * Copy parts of MediaWiki code, and modify it on-wiki (to try to fix bugs,
> or to customize the default behavior)
> * Adapt other external scripts for use on Wikimedia Wikis.
> See also[3].
>
> What do you think?
>
> Best regards,
> Helder
>
> [1]
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ResourceLoader/Version_2_Design_Specification#Shared_gadgets
> [2]
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Thread:Talk:ResourceLoader/V2_testing/Questions_about_permission_model_and_developer_workflow
> [3]
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(policy)#Proper_licensing_of_gadgets_and_user_scripts

liangent at gmail

Aug 7, 2012, 1:07 PM

Re: Free software license for (global) gadgets [In reply to]

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 3:57 AM, Raylton P. Sousa
<raylton.sousa [at] gmail> wrote:
> I'm also interested in a reply
>
> 2012/8/6 Helder . <helder.wiki [at] gmail>
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> According to some pages on mediawiki.org[1][2], it seems that wiki is
>> going to be
>> a central repository for gadgets which will be shared with WMF projects
>> (and other projects using MediaWiki).
>>
>> I would like to know if there is any chance of changing the licence
>> requirements
>> for the new "Gadget:" namespace of this central wiki, so that they can be
>> licensed under a true free ''software'' licence such as GPL (without
>> needing to
>> license also under CC-BY-SA, which is not compatible).
>> The main advantage is that this would allow us to import GPL-licensed
>> scripts
>> for use on WMF wikis. Gadget developers could e.g.:
>> * Copy parts of MediaWiki code, and modify it on-wiki (to try to fix bugs,
>> or to customize the default behavior)
>> * Adapt other external scripts for use on Wikimedia Wikis.
>> See also[3].

Also Lua modules?

-Liangent

>> What do you think?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Helder
>>
>> [1]
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ResourceLoader/Version_2_Design_Specification#Shared_gadgets
>> [2]
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Thread:Talk:ResourceLoader/V2_testing/Questions_about_permission_model_and_developer_workflow
>> [3]
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(policy)#Proper_licensing_of_gadgets_and_user_scripts

helder.wiki at gmail

Aug 7, 2012, 2:42 PM

Re: Free software license for (global) gadgets [In reply to]

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Liangent <liangent [at] gmail> wrote:
> Also Lua modules?

Good point!

Helder