wfMsg and associated functions

jeroendedauw at gmail

Aug 6, 2012, 10:00 AM

wfMsg and associated functions

Hey,

Siebrand, one of our i18n overloards, is stating that some wfMsg function
has been deprecated here:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/17055/4/SRF_Utils.php

However, the functions do definitely not have any deprecation notice. Do we
want to deprecate them at this point? If so, @deprecated and wfDeprecated
should be added. And if not, it's probably still good to mention using the
newer methods if your code can depend on 1.18 or later in the function docs.

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw
http://www.bn2vs.com

krenair at gmail

Aug 6, 2012, 10:04 AM

Re: wfMsg and associated functions [In reply to]

This says they're deprecated as well:https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Messages_API#Comparison_with_the_deprecated_wfMsg.2A_functions

On 06/08/12 18:00, Jeroen De Dauw wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Siebrand, one of our i18n overloards, is stating that some wfMsg function
> has been deprecated here:
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/17055/4/SRF_Utils.php
>
> However, the functions do definitely not have any deprecation notice. Do we
> want to deprecate them at this point? If so, @deprecated and wfDeprecated
> should be added. And if not, it's probably still good to mention using the
> newer methods if your code can depend on 1.18 or later in the function docs.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Jeroen De Dauw
> http://www.bn2vs.com
> Don't panic. Don't be evil.

marktraceur at riseup

Aug 6, 2012, 10:05 AM

Re: wfMsg and associated functions [In reply to]

> Siebrand, one of our i18n overloards, is stating that some wfMsg function
> has been deprecated here:
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/17055/4/SRF_Utils.php
>
> However, the functions do definitely not have any deprecation notice. Do we
> want to deprecate them at this point? If so, @deprecated and wfDeprecated
> should be added. And if not, it's probably still good to mention using the
> newer methods if your code can depend on 1.18 or later in the function docs.

The deprecation notes come from the mw.org page on wfMessage [0], so
unless that page is incorrect, those functions have been deprecated for
some time. In fact, several patches have gone by my screen about making
this specific change (including one you merged [1]).

This seems like it's already been decided, unless I'm mistaken.

[0]
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WfMessage#Comparison_with_the_deprecated_wfMsg.2A_functions
[1] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/16043/

(oh, Krenair beat me to the 0th link, sending message anyway)

--
Mark Holmquist
Contractor, Wikimedia Foundation

jeroendedauw at gmail

Aug 6, 2012, 10:34 AM

Re: wfMsg and associated functions [In reply to]

Hey,

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/17820/

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/17821/

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw
http://www.bn2vs.com

maxsem.wiki at gmail

Aug 6, 2012, 10:54 AM

Re: wfMsg and associated functions [In reply to]

On 06.08.2012, 21:34 Jeroen wrote:

> Hey,

> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/17820/

> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/17821/

Congratulations, you've just made developer warnings and your IDE's
deprecation warnings useless due to the amount of noise. These
functions are used WIDELY across the core, so deprecation should be as
soft as possible. I suggest to revert these commits (why merge them so
hastily, anyway?!) and revisit this issue when MW core and popular
extensions will be (mostly) clean.

--
Best regards,
Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])