WMF Site nginx problem?

george.herbert at gmail

Aug 2, 2012, 2:17 PM

WMF Site nginx problem?

I'm getting 502 bad gateways / nginx error from all attempts to hit
WMF sites including en.wikipedia and wikimedia.org and others, right
now...

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert [at] gmail

george.herbert at gmail

Aug 2, 2012, 2:26 PM

Re: WMF Site nginx problem? [In reply to]

...And back for me.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert [at] gmail

lewiscawte at googlemail

Aug 2, 2012, 2:38 PM

Re: WMF Site nginx problem? [In reply to]

On 02/08/2012 22:26, George Herbert wrote:
> ...And back for me.
>
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 2:17 PM, George Herbert <george.herbert [at] gmail> wrote:
>> I'm getting 502 bad gateways / nginx error from all attempts to hit
>> WMF sites including en.wikipedia and wikimedia.org and others, right
>> now...
>>

>> --
>> -george william herbert
>> george.herbert [at] gmail

From #wikimedia-operations

[22:24:08] <Lcawte> What happened?
[22:24:43] <LeslieCarr> you know, everyone else gets vacation, the wiki
takes a 5 minute bathroom break and everyone's upset !
[22:26:13] <LeslieCarr> in reality, looks like a bad squid config was
pushed, then when it was rolled back, the site came back up

dgerard at gmail

Aug 2, 2012, 3:07 PM

Re: WMF Site nginx problem? [In reply to]

On 2 August 2012 22:38, Lewis Cawte <lewiscawte [at] googlemail> wrote:

> From #wikimedia-operations
> [22:24:08] <Lcawte> What happened?
> [22:24:43] <LeslieCarr> you know, everyone else gets vacation, the wiki
> takes a 5 minute bathroom break and everyone's upset !
> [22:26:13] <LeslieCarr> in reality, looks like a bad squid config was
> pushed, then when it was rolled back, the site came back up

This outage just got a press query from the BBC Newsroom!

Out of interest (if anyone has it quickly to hand), what is our uptime
like? I recall it came through email in the last week or two, but I
can't find the message ...

- d.

jeremy at tuxmachine

Aug 2, 2012, 3:12 PM

Re: WMF Site nginx problem? [In reply to]

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 6:07 PM, David Gerard <dgerard [at] gmail> wrote:
> This outage just got a press query from the BBC Newsroom!
>
> Out of interest (if anyone has it quickly to hand), what is our uptime
> like? I recall it came through email in the last week or two, but I
> can't find the message ...

There's some #s at http://status.wikimedia.org/ but they don't go back
in time too far.

-Jeremy

dgerard at gmail

Aug 2, 2012, 3:27 PM

Re: WMF Site nginx problem? [In reply to]

On 2 August 2012 23:12, Jeremy Baron <jeremy [at] tuxmachine> wrote:

> There's some #s at http://status.wikimedia.org/ but they don't go back
> in time too far.

That's great :-) Here's what I sent them. Seems Wikipedia is *rather
important* to the BBC newsroom at the moment ...

- d.