Try the new Wiki Loves Monuments Android App!

pchang at wikimedia

Aug 1, 2012, 10:18 PM

Try the new Wiki Loves Monuments Android App!

Announcing the Wiki Loves Monuments Android App, V1.1 beta 1!

This app enables mobile monument discovery and photo uploads for the first
time, both in terms of mobile functionality overall and for the Wiki Loves
Monuments contest.

Please turn on "Unknown sources" in Settings => Applications, click on the
link below and install. Then go out and take lots of photos! Uploads will
go to test wiki so feel free to upload whatever you like (and want to share
with the world).

http*://* <http://bit.ly/OFS82I>bit.ly/wlmappv1 <http://bit.ly/OFS82I>

This is the first public release and is not quite feature-complete.
Comments and bugs can go on this page:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Monuments_mobile_application/Feedback

Please try the following:

* Browse by campaign (this will become browse by country/region/city)
* Sort the list by name and address
* Search with a search term
* Open a monument, click on "Get directions"
* Click on add a photo
* Login or create a Commons account
* Choose from gallery or take a photo
* Start uploading
* Click on "Use my current location"
* Move around the map, open a cluster (a group of monuments close together)
* Click on a pin, open the monument
* Add a photo (login should be retained)
* Start uploading

Let us know what you think!

Known issues:

* Browse by country/region/city not fully implemented
* Full-text search is slow
* Map attribution is missing
* Sort by distance appears when browsing by country
* List view should have a "more" link when lists exceed 100 monuments
* Map view will have two types of pins to distinguish monuments with and
without photos
* Upload later is not yet implemented

Please forward this email as appropriate.

Initial distribution: mobile-l, wmfall, internal-l, wikitech-l

--
Phil Inje Chang
Product Manager, Mobile

jamesmikedupont at googlemail

Aug 1, 2012, 10:55 PM

Re: Try the new Wiki Loves Monuments Android App! [In reply to]

Sounds exciting, where can I find the source?
thanks,
mike

James Michael DuPont
Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3

tfinc at wikimedia

Aug 1, 2012, 11:03 PM

Re: Try the new Wiki Loves Monuments Android App! [In reply to]

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Mike Dupont
<jamesmikedupont [at] googlemail> wrote:
> Sounds exciting, where can I find the source?

https://github.com/wikimedia/WLMMobile

We'd love to see more people hacking on this with us. You can find our
bug list here:

http://bit.ly/NKJdNP

You can typically find someone on the mobile team if you join irc
(freenode) #wikimedia-mobile

Come hack with us!

--tomasz

lists at nadir-seen-fire

Aug 1, 2012, 11:08 PM

Re: Try the new Wiki Loves Monuments Android App! [In reply to]

On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 23:03:07 -0700, Tomasz Finc <tfinc [at] wikimedia>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Mike Dupont
> <jamesmikedupont [at] googlemail> wrote:
>> Sounds exciting, where can I find the source?
>
> https://github.com/wikimedia/WLMMobile
>
> We'd love to see more people hacking on this with us. You can find our
> bug list here:
>
> http://bit.ly/NKJdNP
*cough*

https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/buglist.cgi?resolution=---&resolution=LATER&resolution=DUPLICATE&query_format=advanced&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&product=WikiLoves%20Monuments%20Mobile&list_id=134559

I know it's long but we're not on Twitter.

> You can typically find someone on the mobile team if you join irc
> (freenode) #wikimedia-mobile
>
> Come hack with us!
>
> --tomasz

jamesmikedupont at googlemail

Aug 1, 2012, 11:14 PM

Re: Try the new Wiki Loves Monuments Android App! [In reply to]

Great, well I will take a look at this. I hope that it could be used
also for a general commons tool.
thanks,
mike

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 6:03 AM, Tomasz Finc <tfinc [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Mike Dupont
> <jamesmikedupont [at] googlemail> wrote:
>> Sounds exciting, where can I find the source?
>
> https://github.com/wikimedia/WLMMobile
>
> We'd love to see more people hacking on this with us. You can find our
> bug list here:
>
> http://bit.ly/NKJdNP
>
> You can typically find someone on the mobile team if you join irc
> (freenode) #wikimedia-mobile
>
> Come hack with us!
>
> --tomasz

James Michael DuPont
Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3

pchang at wikimedia

Aug 1, 2012, 11:29 PM

Re: Try the new Wiki Loves Monuments Android App! [In reply to]

Mike, this app will be a sort of prototype for general photo upload
functionality in our mobile site and WIkipedia apps.

If you'd like to help us, you are more than welcome ;-)

Phil

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 6:03 AM, Tomasz Finc <tfinc at wikimedia.org

--

--
Phil Inje Chang
Product Manager, Mobile

jayvdb at gmail

Aug 1, 2012, 11:39 PM

Re: Try the new Wiki Loves Monuments Android App! [In reply to]

It hangs when talking to the satellites here in Oz. Probably because OZ
isnt part of WLM?.. :(

It would be good to have a generic Commons uploader app, with WLM app built
as a front-end on top.

Is the source available?

pchang at wikimedia

Aug 2, 2012, 12:13 AM

Re: Try the new Wiki Loves Monuments Android App! [In reply to]

Hi John,

The map view takes a couple of tries sometimes. Some bugs are still present.

We do intend to develop general upload functionality in the mobile site and
apps, and this app is a first step in that direction.

Tomasz responded earlier about the source:

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:39 PM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb [at] gmail> wrote:

> It hangs when talking to the satellites here in Oz. Probably because OZ
> isnt part of WLM?.. :(
>
> It would be good to have a generic Commons uploader app, with WLM app built
> as a front-end on top.
>
> Is the source available?
> On Aug 2, 2012 3:19 PM, "Philip Chang" <pchang [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>
> > Announcing the Wiki Loves Monuments Android App, V1.1 beta 1!
> >
> > This app enables mobile monument discovery and photo uploads for the
> first
> > time, both in terms of mobile functionality overall and for the Wiki
> Loves
> > Monuments contest.
> >
> > Please turn on "Unknown sources" in Settings => Applications, click on
> the
> > link below and install. Then go out and take lots of photos! Uploads will
> > go to test wiki so feel free to upload whatever you like (and want to
> share
> > with the world).
> >
> > http*://* <http://bit.ly/OFS82I>bit.ly/wlmappv1 <http://bit.ly/OFS82I>
> >
> > This is the first public release and is not quite feature-complete.
> > Comments and bugs can go on this page:
> >

> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Monuments_mobile_application/Feedback
> >
> > Please try the following:
> >
> > * Browse by campaign (this will become browse by country/region/city)
> > * Sort the list by name and address
> > * Search with a search term
> > * Open a monument, click on "Get directions"
> > * Click on add a photo
> > * Login or create a Commons account
> > * Choose from gallery or take a photo
> > * Start uploading
> > * Click on "Use my current location"
> > * Move around the map, open a cluster (a group of monuments close
> together)
> > * Click on a pin, open the monument
> > * Add a photo (login should be retained)
> > * Start uploading
> >
> > Let us know what you think!
> >
> > Known issues:
> >
> > * Browse by country/region/city not fully implemented
> > * Full-text search is slow
> > * Map attribution is missing
> > * Sort by distance appears when browsing by country
> > * List view should have a "more" link when lists exceed 100 monuments
> > * Map view will have two types of pins to distinguish monuments with and
> > without photos
> > * Upload later is not yet implemented
> >
> > Please forward this email as appropriate.
> >
> > Initial distribution: mobile-l, wmfall, internal-l, wikitech-l
> >
> > --
> > Phil Inje Chang
> > Product Manager, Mobile
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > 415-812-0854 m
> > 415-882-7982 x 6810

Phil Inje Chang
Product Manager, Mobile
Wikimedia Foundation
415-812-0854 m
415-882-7982 x 6810

maarten at mdammers

Aug 2, 2012, 12:59 AM

Re: Try the new Wiki Loves Monuments Android App! [In reply to]

Hi John,

Op 2 aug 2012 om 08:39 heeft John Vandenberg <jayvdb [at] gmail> het
volgende geschreven:\

> It hangs when talking to the satellites here in Oz. Probably because
> OZ
> isnt part of WLM?.. :(

Or because we're still using the Toolserver as a backend in this beta.

> It would be good to have a generic Commons uploader app, with WLM
> app built
> as a front-end on top.

We're doing it the other way around. First we build an app for WLM.
Based on that experience a more general app will be build.

Maarten

> Is the source available?
> On Aug 2, 2012 3:19 PM, "Philip Chang" <pchang [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>
>> Announcing the Wiki Loves Monuments Android App, V1.1 beta 1!
>>
>> This app enables mobile monument discovery and photo uploads for
>> the first
>> time, both in terms of mobile functionality overall and for the
>> Wiki Loves
>> Monuments contest.
>>
>> Please turn on "Unknown sources" in Settings => Applications, click
>> on the
>> link below and install. Then go out and take lots of photos!
>> Uploads will
>> go to test wiki so feel free to upload whatever you like (and want
>> to share
>> with the world).
>>
>> http*://* <http://bit.ly/OFS82I>bit.ly/wlmappv1 <http://bit.ly/
>> OFS82I>
>>
>> This is the first public release and is not quite feature-complete.
>> Comments and bugs can go on this page:
>>

>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Monuments_mobile_application/Feedback
>>
>> Please try the following:
>>
>> * Browse by campaign (this will become browse by country/region/city)
>> * Sort the list by name and address
>> * Search with a search term
>> * Open a monument, click on "Get directions"
>> * Click on add a photo
>> * Login or create a Commons account
>> * Choose from gallery or take a photo
>> * Start uploading
>> * Click on "Use my current location"
>> * Move around the map, open a cluster (a group of monuments close
>> together)
>> * Click on a pin, open the monument
>> * Add a photo (login should be retained)
>> * Start uploading
>>
>> Let us know what you think!
>>
>> Known issues:
>>
>> * Browse by country/region/city not fully implemented
>> * Full-text search is slow
>> * Map attribution is missing
>> * Sort by distance appears when browsing by country
>> * List view should have a "more" link when lists exceed 100 monuments
>> * Map view will have two types of pins to distinguish monuments
>> with and
>> without photos
>> * Upload later is not yet implemented
>>
>> Please forward this email as appropriate.
>>
>> Initial distribution: mobile-l, wmfall, internal-l, wikitech-l
>>
>> --
>> Phil Inje Chang
>> Product Manager, Mobile
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>> 415-812-0854 m
>> 415-882-7982 x 6810

datzrott at alizeepathology

Aug 2, 2012, 4:20 AM

Re: Try the new Wiki Loves Monuments Android App! [In reply to]

>It hangs when talking to the satellites here in Oz. Probably because OZ
isnt part of WLM?.. :(

>It would be good to have a generic Commons uploader app, with WLM app built
as a front-end on top.

>Is the source available?

Yes, she says the source is available here:
https://github.com/wikimedia/WLMMobile

Thank you,
Derric Atzrott

jdlrobson at gmail

Aug 2, 2012, 10:46 AM

Re: Try the new Wiki Loves Monuments Android App! [In reply to]

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:39 PM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb [at] gmail> wrote:

> It hangs when talking to the satellites here in Oz. Probably because OZ
> isnt part of WLM?.. :(

Sounds like a nasty bug. I'm pretty sure I can replicate this and know
what's causing it but yes.. essentially it is due to a lack of monuments in
your area :-(

Have opened a bug = https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=38983