Some labs beta cluster milestones

cmcmahon at wikimedia

Aug 1, 2012, 12:05 PM

Some labs beta cluster milestones

As you might know, we have been making significant improvements to the beta
cluster in labs[1]. I wanted to point out two developments of the last few
days that I think are important milestones.

First, the TimedMediaHandler extension that we've been testing in the beta
commons wiki for quite some time has moved off of the the beta cluster and
is now being installed on test2wiki in preparation for a production
deployment. Much work has gone into TMH, and this move would not have been
possible without the extensive improvements to beta commons to support TMH
development and testing.

Second, there is a working, testable version of the new Article Feedback
Tool Version 5 on the beta enwiki right now. This is the first major
user-facing extension under development to be deployed to the beta cluster.
The beta cluster will give us a much more sophisticated test and
development environment for such extensions (and their combinations) in the
very near future.

Versions of Mediawiki core and extensions are deployed to the beta cluster
directly from our git repository[2]. This process should be automated in
the very near future. An issue with the shared file system GlusterFS has
prevented any easy or convenient automated deployment, but our GlusterFS
system is being upgraded to the latest version (pretty much any minute now)
which should make deployment directly from git much more convenient.

Thanks to Antoine Musso, Faidon Liambotis, Jan Gerber, Michael Dale, and
Matthias Mullie for all your work and all your help. The labs beta cluster
is becoming an important part our software development environment.

-Chris

[1] http://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Main_Page for example
[2] https://labsconsole.wikimedia.org/wiki/Deployment/Overview#Configure

mah at everybody

Aug 1, 2012, 12:33 PM

Re: Some labs beta cluster milestones [In reply to]

On 08/01/2012 03:05 PM, Chris McMahon wrote:
> The labs beta cluster is becoming an important part our software
> development environment.

It makes me very happy to read this.

Mark.

benapetr at gmail

Aug 2, 2012, 12:05 AM

Re: Some labs beta cluster milestones [In reply to]

Good work, especially many thanks to Antoine (hashar), he did a lot of hard work