Gerrit downtime this Friday

afeldman at wikimedia

Jul 17, 2012, 5:26 PM

Gerrit downtime this Friday

Hi All,

Ryan Lane and I are migrating gerrit's db to a server in eqiad (where the
gerrit app server is located) on Friday, and have a downtime window of
18:00-19:00 UTC (11am-12pm PDT). Actual downtime should be shorter.
Gerrit makes many mysql queries for some page requests; this will improve
the latency of such pages. Additionally, the new db will have both slow
and sample based query profiling in ishmael which should assist with
further optimizations.

-A

agarrett at wikimedia

Jul 18, 2012, 9:34 AM

Re: Gerrit downtime this Friday [In reply to]

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Asher Feldman <afeldman [at] wikimedia>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Ryan Lane and I are migrating gerrit's db to a server in eqiad (where the
> gerrit app server is located) on Friday, and have a downtime window of
> 18:00-19:00 UTC (11am-12pm PDT). Actual downtime should be shorter.
> Gerrit makes many mysql queries for some page requests; this will improve
> the latency of such pages. Additionally, the new db will have both slow
> and sample based query profiling in ishmael which should assist with
> further optimizations.

I wish email had a "like" button. :-)

--
Andrew Garrett
Wikimedia Foundation

innocentkiller at gmail

Jul 18, 2012, 9:38 AM

Re: Gerrit downtime this Friday [In reply to]

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Andrew Garrett <agarrett [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Asher Feldman <afeldman [at] wikimedia>wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Ryan Lane and I are migrating gerrit's db to a server in eqiad (where the
>> gerrit app server is located) on Friday, and have a downtime window of
>> 18:00-19:00 UTC (11am-12pm PDT). Actual downtime should be shorter.
>> Gerrit makes many mysql queries for some page requests; this will improve
>> the latency of such pages. Additionally, the new db will have both slow
>> and sample based query profiling in ishmael which should assist with
>> further optimizations.
>

> I wish email had a "like" button. :-)

Me too. I've been wanting us to fix this ever since we were
forced to put them in different datacenters to begin with.

Also, profiling is awesome and results can be shared upstream
too :D

-Chad

benapetr at gmail

Jul 18, 2012, 10:24 AM

Re: Gerrit downtime this Friday [In reply to]

* LIKE * :)

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Andrew Garrett <agarrett [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Asher Feldman <afeldman [at] wikimedia>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Ryan Lane and I are migrating gerrit's db to a server in eqiad (where the
>>> gerrit app server is located) on Friday, and have a downtime window of
>>> 18:00-19:00 UTC (11am-12pm PDT). Actual downtime should be shorter.
>>> Gerrit makes many mysql queries for some page requests; this will improve
>>> the latency of such pages. Additionally, the new db will have both slow
>>> and sample based query profiling in ishmael which should assist with
>>> further optimizations.
>>

>> I wish email had a "like" button. :-)
>>

> Me too. I've been wanting us to fix this ever since we were
> forced to put them in different datacenters to begin with.
>
> Also, profiling is awesome and results can be shared upstream
> too :D
>
> -Chad

sumanah at wikimedia

Jul 20, 2012, 10:41 AM

Re: Gerrit downtime this Friday [In reply to]

On 07/17/2012 08:26 PM, Asher Feldman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Ryan Lane and I are migrating gerrit's db to a server in eqiad (where the
> gerrit app server is located) on Friday, and have a downtime window of
> 18:00-19:00 UTC (11am-12pm PDT). Actual downtime should be shorter.
> Gerrit makes many mysql queries for some page requests; this will improve
> the latency of such pages. Additionally, the new db will have both slow
> and sample based query profiling in ishmael which should assist with
> further optimizations.
>
> -A

Reminder: Gerrit upgrade window in about 20 min, lasting 1 hour.

If you're looking for something to do during that hour, adding
easy-to-solve Bugzilla issues and hints to
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Annoying_little_bugs would be great. :-)

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager

afeldman at wikimedia

Jul 20, 2012, 11:28 AM

Re: Gerrit downtime this Friday [In reply to]

Mission accomplished!

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Asher Feldman <afeldman [at] wikimedia>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Ryan Lane and I are migrating gerrit's db to a server in eqiad (where the
> gerrit app server is located) on Friday, and have a downtime window of
> 18:00-19:00 UTC (11am-12pm PDT). Actual downtime should be shorter.
> Gerrit makes many mysql queries for some page requests; this will improve
> the latency of such pages. Additionally, the new db will have both slow
> and sample based query profiling in ishmael which should assist with
> further optimizations.
>
> -A

erik at wikimedia

Jul 20, 2012, 11:31 AM

Re: Gerrit downtime this Friday [In reply to]

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Asher Feldman <afeldman [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> Mission accomplished!

Woo - Gerrit is actually fast now. :) Thanks, guys.
--
Erik Möller

innocentkiller at gmail

Jul 20, 2012, 11:33 AM

Re: Gerrit downtime this Friday [In reply to]

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Erik Moeller <erik [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Asher Feldman <afeldman [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>> Mission accomplished!
>
> Woo - Gerrit is actually fast now. :) Thanks, guys.

Funny what putting it on better hardware in the same datacenter
as the app server will do ;-)

But yes: thank you so much Ryan and Asher for taking care of
this!

-Chad