Personal sandbox space in Gerrit

innocentkiller at gmail

Jul 2, 2012, 10:35 AM

Personal sandbox space in Gerrit

Hi everyone,

I've just come across (and enabled) a feature in Gerrit that I think
many will find useful. I'm calling them "personal sandboxes." The
basic premise is that each user can have a personal branch space
that they have push rights to that don't require admin intervention.

The branches are named in the format "sandbox/$username/*" so I
could make a sandbox called "sandbox/demon/weekend-hacking"
and push that to gerrit without requiring review or anyone to make
the branch first. Quick example:

$ cd mediawiki/core
$ git checkout -b sandbox/demon/foo-bar
[ hack away ]
$ git push --set-upstream origin sandbox/demon/foo-bar

(The --set-upstream is only necessary the first time you push)

This isn't designed to replace long-lived branches where you are
collaborating with others, but to simply give you a space where you
can push some work when you want to stash it (and it should be
viewable by Gitweb, if you want others to see it).

Happy hacking!

-Chad

otto at wikimedia

Jul 2, 2012, 10:46 AM

Re: Personal sandbox space in Gerrit [In reply to]

Ah that is useful! Thanks Chad!

On Jul 2, 2012, at 1:35 PM, Chad wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've just come across (and enabled) a feature in Gerrit that I think
> many will find useful. I'm calling them "personal sandboxes." The
> basic premise is that each user can have a personal branch space
> that they have push rights to that don't require admin intervention.
>
> The branches are named in the format "sandbox/$username/*" so I
> could make a sandbox called "sandbox/demon/weekend-hacking"
> and push that to gerrit without requiring review or anyone to make
> the branch first. Quick example:
>
> $ cd mediawiki/core
> $ git checkout -b sandbox/demon/foo-bar
> [ hack away ]
> $ git push --set-upstream origin sandbox/demon/foo-bar
>
> (The --set-upstream is only necessary the first time you push)
>
> This isn't designed to replace long-lived branches where you are
> collaborating with others, but to simply give you a space where you
> can push some work when you want to stash it (and it should be
> viewable by Gitweb, if you want others to see it).
>
> Happy hacking!
>
> -Chad

ori at wikimedia

Jul 2, 2012, 10:50 AM

Re: Personal sandbox space in Gerrit [In reply to]

This is awesome!

--
Ori Livneh
ori [at] wikimedia

On Monday, July 2, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Chad wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've just come across (and enabled) a feature in Gerrit that I think
> many will find useful. I'm calling them "personal sandboxes." The
> basic premise is that each user can have a personal branch space
> that they have push rights to that don't require admin intervention.
>
> The branches are named in the format "sandbox/$username/*" so I
> could make a sandbox called "sandbox/demon/weekend-hacking"
> and push that to gerrit without requiring review or anyone to make
> the branch first. Quick example:
>
> $ cd mediawiki/core
> $ git checkout -b sandbox/demon/foo-bar
> [ hack away ]
> $ git push --set-upstream origin sandbox/demon/foo-bar
>
> (The --set-upstream is only necessary the first time you push)
>
> This isn't designed to replace long-lived branches where you are
> collaborating with others, but to simply give you a space where you
> can push some work when you want to stash it (and it should be
> viewable by Gitweb, if you want others to see it).
>
> Happy hacking!
>
> -Chad

z at mzmcbride

Jul 2, 2012, 11:24 PM

Re: Personal sandbox space in Gerrit [In reply to]

Chad wrote:
> I've just come across (and enabled) a feature in Gerrit that I think
> many will find useful. I'm calling them "personal sandboxes." The
> basic premise is that each user can have a personal branch space
> that they have push rights to that don't require admin intervention.
>
> The branches are named in the format "sandbox/$username/*" so I
> could make a sandbox called "sandbox/demon/weekend-hacking"
> and push that to gerrit without requiring review or anyone to make
> the branch first. Quick example:
>
> $ cd mediawiki/core
> $ git checkout -b sandbox/demon/foo-bar
> [ hack away ]
> $ git push --set-upstream origin sandbox/demon/foo-bar
>
> (The --set-upstream is only necessary the first time you push)
>
> This isn't designed to replace long-lived branches where you are
> collaborating with others, but to simply give you a space where you
> can push some work when you want to stash it (and it should be
> viewable by Gitweb, if you want others to see it).

I've thrown this on mediawiki.org here:
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit/personal_sandbox>.

MZMcBride