Suggestions for tasks for new contributors during hackathon

lists at asheesh

Jun 21, 2012, 1:43 PM

Suggestions for tasks for new contributors during hackathon

Hey all wikitech peeps,

In helping organize the upcoming Wikimania DC Hackathon, I wanted
to ask if there are particular categories of work that people with
fairly limited experience could do that would have a meaningful impact.

For example:

* Updating extensions to work with the latest version of MediaWiki

* Testing extensions so that we can update mediawiki.org pages about
the extension's compatibility with different MediaWiki revisions

* Converting user scripts into Gadgets

* Convert templates into Lua (but seems lower-impact than some of
the above because Lua scripts aren't deployed very many places yet)

* (Only applicable to attendees who mntain an extension) Teaching
maintainers how to move extensions from the wiki into things that
live in Git and are updated through Gerrit

I'm especially interested in tasks where there's a lot of work to do --
that way, people can be given lots of hands-on things to do that can
provide practice to help people be more comfortable with tools like git
and gerrit, or more comfortable with the MediaWiki hooks, or where the
task gives people a reason to install MediaWiki on their own machine.
Additionally, it's important the task meaningfully contributes to the
project, so people feel the value of what they're doing.

I expect that we'll get a lot of people with some PHP experience but who
have little experience with, say, Git and Gerrit.

Also, if you'll be at the Wikimania DC 2012 Hackathon and want to help
mentor people through any of these, reply as well.

Other ideas welcome. I'll be collating these over the next few days,
and then trying to pick the ones with the highest probable impact based
on the attendees. One warning: this is intended just as a research
question for now. I can't promise that I'll focus a portion of the
hackathon on your particular suggestion. But I do aim to stay in touch
as the planning progresses.

-- Asheesh.

nischayn22 at gmail

Jun 21, 2012, 2:18 PM

Re: Suggestions for tasks for new contributors during hackathon [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 2:13 AM, Asheesh Laroia <lists [at] asheesh> wrote:

> Hey all wikitech peeps,
>
> In helping organize the upcoming Wikimania DC Hackathon, I wanted
> to ask if there are particular categories of work that people with
> fairly limited experience could do that would have a meaningful impact.
>
> For example:
>
> * Updating extensions to work with the latest version of MediaWiki
>
> * Testing extensions so that we can update mediawiki.org pages about
> the extension's compatibility with different MediaWiki revisions
>
> * Converting user scripts into Gadgets
>
> * Convert templates into Lua (but seems lower-impact than some of
> the above because Lua scripts aren't deployed very many places yet)
>
> * (Only applicable to attendees who mntain an extension) Teaching
> maintainers how to move extensions from the wiki into things that
> live in Git and are updated through Gerrit
>
> I'm especially interested in tasks where there's a lot of work to do --
> that way, people can be given lots of hands-on things to do that can
> provide practice to help people be more comfortable with tools like git
> and gerrit, or more comfortable with the MediaWiki hooks, or where the
> task gives people a reason to install MediaWiki on their own machine.
> Additionally, it's important the task meaningfully contributes to the
> project, so people feel the value of what they're doing.
>
> I expect that we'll get a lot of people with some PHP experience but who
> have little experience with, say, Git and Gerrit.
>
> Also, if you'll be at the Wikimania DC 2012 Hackathon and want to help
> mentor people through any of these, reply as well.
>
> Other ideas welcome. I'll be collating these over the next few days,
> and then trying to pick the ones with the highest probable impact based
> on the attendees. One warning: this is intended just as a research
> question for now. I can't promise that I'll focus a portion of the
> hackathon on your particular suggestion. But I do aim to stay in touch
> as the planning progresses.
>
> -- Asheesh.

Since you mentioned "Updating extensions to work with the latest version of
MediaWiki "
I think writing unit tests for extensions could be very useful and fairly
easy to learn.

Nischay Nahata
http://nischayn22.in

cmcmahon at wikimedia

Jun 21, 2012, 2:44 PM

Re: Suggestions for tasks for new contributors during hackathon [In reply to]

On the QA front, this came up in a WMF discussion recently, and I proposed
it as a Weekend Testing Americas session, but it would work equally well at
Wikimania, and it fits our goal of bringing in more community testing
nicely:

----
Wikipedia has a large number of open bug reports, like around 8000 right
now, and that number is growing by approximately 3000/year last I looked.
It is probable that many of those open bugs should be marked RESOLVED or
possibly UNCONFIRMED, but our triaging resources are scarce right now.

So what I'm proposing is a session to take a manageable number of open bug
reports for a particular "extension" or two, read them, try to reproduce
them, and then either a) mark them RESOLVED or else b) mark them
UNCONFIRMED and/or c) leave a helpful comment on the open bug describing
what the tester found when trying to reproduce the issue. An example would
be
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/buglist.cgi?resolution=---&query_format=advanced&component=Moodbar&product=MediaWiki%20extensions&list_id=123286
----

Our community testing session with Openhatch on June 9 was pretty
successful and a lot of fun, this might be a nice way to get people
familiar with how we manage issues in Bugzilla, which can be pretty
daunting for newcomers. And of course it is a repeatable exercise, so
doing it at Wikimania does not prevent doing it again with WTA or anywhere
else.
-Chris

rlane32 at gmail

Jun 21, 2012, 3:25 PM

Re: Suggestions for tasks for new contributors during hackathon [In reply to]

> I'm especially interested in tasks where there's a lot of work to do --
> that way, people can be given lots of hands-on things to do that can
> provide practice to help people be more comfortable with tools like git
> and gerrit, or more comfortable with the MediaWiki hooks, or where the
> task gives people a reason to install MediaWiki on their own machine.
> Additionally, it's important the task meaningfully contributes to the
> project, so people feel the value of what they're doing.

It's also a good opportunity for people to get familiar with Labs, and
maybe help out with a current project that does something MediaWiki
related.

> I expect that we'll get a lot of people with some PHP experience but who
> have little experience with, say, Git and Gerrit.

Getting enough of the basics of Git/Gerrit to push in code is easy
enough that people can really focus more on coding.

> Also, if you'll be at the Wikimania DC 2012 Hackathon and want to help
> mentor people through any of these, reply as well.
>
> Other ideas welcome. I'll be collating these over the next few days,
> and then trying to pick the ones with the highest probable impact based
> on the attendees. One warning: this is intended just as a research
> question for now. I can't promise that I'll focus a portion of the
> hackathon on your particular suggestion. But I do aim to stay in touch
> as the planning progresses.

Don't forget about opportunities for volunteer operations work as
well. People don't necessarily need to hack on MediaWiki. If they want
to fix operations things, that's doable as well.

- Ryan

agarrett at wikimedia

Jun 22, 2012, 10:53 PM

Re: Suggestions for tasks for new contributors during hackathon [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 7:44 AM, Chris McMahon <cmcmahon [at] wikimedia>wrote:

> On the QA front, this came up in a WMF discussion recently, and I proposed
> it as a Weekend Testing Americas session, but it would work equally well at
> Wikimania, and it fits our goal of bringing in more community testing
> nicely:

Speaking of QA, I'd love to participate in a test-writing-a-thon. Currently
I have no idea how to write tests for my code. It would be awesome if I
could learn that at Wikimania.

—Andrew

--
Andrew Garrett
Wikimedia Foundation

sumanah at wikimedia

Jun 23, 2012, 1:28 AM

Re: Suggestions for tasks for new contributors during hackathon [In reply to]

On 06/22/2012 10:53 PM, Andrew Garrett wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 7:44 AM, Chris McMahon <cmcmahon [at] wikimedia>wrote:
>
>> On the QA front, this came up in a WMF discussion recently, and I proposed
>> it as a Weekend Testing Americas session, but it would work equally well at
>> Wikimania, and it fits our goal of bringing in more community testing
>> nicely:
>>

> Speaking of QA, I'd love to participate in a test-writing-a-thon. Currently
> I have no idea how to write tests for my code. It would be awesome if I
> could learn that at Wikimania.
>
> —Andrew

This might indeed be a good training session/topic for the pre-Wikimania
hackathon. We might be able to repurpose Chad Horohoe's testing
training from the fall of 2011 - a lecture on how to write tests,
walking attendees through the documentation and teaching them how to run
tests. Notes and audio are available:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/NOLA_Hackathon/Sunday#Chad.27s_test_training

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:Git_notes_-_NOLA_Hackathon_2011.oga

"I'll find a simple function we still need a test for, and use it as
an example. I'll briefly touch on setting up PHPUnit (with the caveat
that *sometimes* it's harder than it should be, so ask if you need extra
help). Then dive into how to write the test."

You might also like skimming this category and re-filing/moving/creating
pages as relevant: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Tutorials

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager

krinklemail at gmail

Jun 23, 2012, 2:55 AM

Re: Suggestions for tasks for new contributors during hackathon [In reply to]

On Jun 23, 2012, at 10:28 AM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:

> On 06/22/2012 10:53 PM, Andrew Garrett wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 7:44 AM, Chris McMahon <cmcmahon [at] wikimedia>wrote:
>>
>>> On the QA front, this came up in a WMF discussion recently, and I proposed
>>> it as a Weekend Testing Americas session, but it would work equally well at
>>> Wikimania, and it fits our goal of bringing in more community testing
>>> nicely:
>>>

>> Speaking of QA, I'd love to participate in a test-writing-a-thon. Currently
>> I have no idea how to write tests for my code. It would be awesome if I
>> could learn that at Wikimania.
>>
>> —Andrew
>
> This might indeed be a good training session/topic for the pre-Wikimania
> hackathon. We might be able to repurpose Chad Horohoe's testing
> training from the fall of 2011 - a lecture on how to write tests,
> walking attendees through the documentation and teaching them how to run
> tests. Notes and audio are available:
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/NOLA_Hackathon/Sunday#Chad.27s_test_training
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:Git_notes_-_NOLA_Hackathon_2011.oga
>
> "I'll find a simple function we still need a test for, and use it as
> an example. I'll briefly touch on setting up PHPUnit (with the caveat
> that *sometimes* it's harder than it should be, so ask if you need extra
> help). Then dive into how to write the test."
>
> You might also like skimming this category and re-filing/moving/creating
> pages as relevant: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Tutorials

I could also (co-)host that or another session regarding front-end unit testing.

-- Krinkle