MediaWiki to Latex Converter

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Wikipedia wikitech RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

cananian at wikimedia

Nov 25, 2013, 1:34 PM

Re: MediaWiki to Latex Converter [In reply to]

The new PDF rendering pipeline includes a new wikitext to latex
converter, based on the Parsoid parser. You might want to check out:

https://git.wikimedia.org/summary/mediawiki%2Fextensions%2FCollection%2FOfflineContentGenerator%2Fbundler

and

https://git.wikimedia.org/summary/mediawiki%2Fextensions%2FCollection%2FOfflineContentGenerator%2Flatex_renderer

to see if they are useful to you.
--scott

santhosh.thottingal at gmail

Nov 25, 2013, 7:49 PM

Re: MediaWiki to Latex Converter [In reply to]

To support complex
scripts<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_text_layout> we
need to use a tex system that can support Unicode and complex script
rendering system. Xetex <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XeTeX> works very
well with these scripts.I tried the MediaWiki to Latex converter with
Malayalam script, and the result is buggy.

Thanks
Santhosh

cananian at wikimedia

Nov 26, 2013, 7:01 AM

Re: MediaWiki to Latex Converter [In reply to]

The new PDF rendering pipeline does indeed use XeLaTeX. I haven't
used it to typeset non-latin scripts since a summer I spent at SIL in
1996 (and that might have been Omega, not XeLaTeX), so if you wanted
to pitch in and help out I'd greatly appreciate it. To start with,
short example LaTeX articles typeset in your script would probably
help me ensure I've got all the prologue bits and packages right.
--scott

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM, Santhosh Thottingal
<santhosh.thottingal [at] gmail> wrote:
> To support complex
> scripts<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_text_layout> we
> need to use a tex system that can support Unicode and complex script
> rendering system. Xetex <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XeTeX> works very
> well with these scripts.I tried the MediaWiki to Latex converter with
> Malayalam script, and the result is buggy.
>
> Thanks
> Santhosh

(http://cscott.net)

dirk.hunniger at googlemail

Dec 8, 2013, 12:30 PM

Re: MediaWiki to Latex Converter [In reply to]

Hi Scott,
I saw you started to work on an LaTeX Export yourself. I needed more
than 3 year for mine. So I want you to be aware that it might take you a
long time to come up with something that really works. I also want to
offer you to share all my experience with you if you decide to do it
yourself, since it might significantly speed up your develpment process.
Unfortunatly I am currently neither unimployed nor a student anymore and
can not esaly get out of my current full time position at university. So
I do not have much time actully help you. My project is actually also
using xelatex. The problem is that it is using freeserif by default and
you have to manully enable megafont to get full 16 Bit Unicode support.
Still this does not solve the problem that some codepoints in unicode
stand for more than one character and you have to take into account
external information to guess the character to print.
Yours Dirk

Re: MediaWiki to Latex Converter [In reply to]

Hi Scott,
I saw you started to work on an LaTeX Export yourself. I needed more
than 3 year for mine. So I want you to be aware that it might take you a
long time to come up with something that really works. I also want to
offer you to share all my experience with you if you decide to do it
yourself, since it might significantly speed up your develpment process.
Unfortunatly I am currently neither unimployed nor a student anymore and
can not esaly get out of my current full time position at university. So
I do not have much time actully help you. My project is actually also
using xelatex. The problem is that it is using freeserif by default and
you have to manully enable megafont to get full 16 Bit Unicode support.
Still this does not solve the problem that some codepoints in unicode
stand for more than one character and you have to take into account
external information to guess the character to print.
Yours Dirk

On 26.11.2013 16:01, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> The new PDF rendering pipeline does indeed use XeLaTeX. I haven't
> used it to typeset non-latin scripts since a summer I spent at SIL in
> 1996 (and that might have been Omega, not XeLaTeX), so if you wanted
> to pitch in and help out I'd greatly appreciate it. To start with,
> short example LaTeX articles typeset in your script would probably
> help me ensure I've got all the prologue bits and packages right.
> --scott
>

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM, Santhosh Thottingal
> <santhosh.thottingal [at] gmail> wrote:
>> To support complex
>> scripts<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_text_layout> we
>> need to use a tex system that can support Unicode and complex script
>> rendering system. Xetex <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XeTeX> works very
>> well with these scripts.I tried the MediaWiki to Latex converter with
>> Malayalam script, and the result is buggy.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Santhosh

cananian at wikimedia

Dec 10, 2013, 11:17 AM

Re: MediaWiki to Latex Converter [In reply to]

Sure, I'd love to look at your code. Hopefully we can avoid
reinventing the wheel *too* many times. Is it available some where?
Or a written report?
--scott

cananian at wikimedia

Dec 10, 2013, 12:06 PM

Re: MediaWiki to Latex Converter [In reply to]

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM, Santhosh Thottingal
<santhosh.thottingal [at] gmail> wrote:
> To support complex
> scripts<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_text_layout> we
> need to use a tex system that can support Unicode and complex script
> rendering system. Xetex <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XeTeX> works very
> well with these scripts.I tried the MediaWiki to Latex converter with
> Malayalam script, and the result is buggy.

Could you take a look at the attached PDF, generated from
https://ml.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B4%AE%E0%B4%B2%E0%B4%AF%E0%B4%BE%E0%B4%B3%E0%B4%82
with our not-yet-deployed new software? Any Malayam-specific feedback
you could provide would be very useful.
--scott

ps. the images in the pdf are deliberately very low resolution to keep
the overall size of the PDF small.

--
(http://cscott.net)

cananian at wikimedia

Dec 10, 2013, 2:04 PM

Re: MediaWiki to Latex Converter [In reply to]

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM, C. Scott Ananian
<cananian [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> Could you take a look at the attached PDF, generated from
> https://ml.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B4%AE%E0%B4%B2%E0%B4%AF%E0%B4%BE%E0%B4%B3%E0%B4%82
> with our not-yet-deployed new software? Any Malayam-specific feedback
> you could provide would be very useful.

It was brought to my attention that this mailing list strips
attachments. I've uploaded the PDF to
http://cscott.net/wmf/malayalam.pdf
--scott

--
(http://cscott.net)

santhosh.thottingal at gmail

Dec 11, 2013, 12:10 AM

Re: MediaWiki to Latex Converter [In reply to]

On 12/11/2013 01:36 AM, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> Could you take a look at the attached PDF, generated from
> https://ml.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B4%AE%E0%B4%B2%E0%B4%AF%E0%B4%BE%E0%B4%B3%E0%B4%82
> with our not-yet-deployed new software? Any Malayam-specific feedback
> you could provide would be very useful.

The output is very good. Did not notice any issues. The hyphenation in
some languages should use non-visible hyphen characters. XeTeX allows
customizing it(hyphenchar). In the specific case of Malayalam, people
normally use U+200C for causing line break without visible hyphen.

Thanks
Santhosh

dirk.hunniger at googlemail

Jul 17, 2014, 12:30 PM

Re: MediaWiki to Latex Converter [In reply to]

Hi
its on Labs now.

http://mediawiki2latex.wmflabs.org/

The only problem is that only about five people a day are using it. Its
good on the one hand since the server is small. On the other hand the
might be some people who would like to use it but still don't find it.
So if anybody got an idea how to make it more publicly known just tell me.

Yours Dirk