Request for data from Wikimedia Foundation for academic research

pradeep.bangera at imdea

Jun 14, 2012, 2:58 AM

Request for data from Wikimedia Foundation for academic research

Hello Wikimedia's system administrators and developers,

I am a PhD student from Institute IMDEA Networks, Spain. I very much
appreciate the data that you have published in Wikimedia Report Card. I
am writing this email as a kind request for a possible cooperation for
assisting me in my research work by sharing your data without violating
anyone's privacy.

I have a task of developing a list of Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
around the globe for 2012. One way of doing it is by mapping the IP
addresses of the internet users who visit your websites to their
corresponding Autonomous System Numbers (ASNs) of the ISPs. For this I
need to have IP address dataset logged by your web server in 2012 and
certainly I do not seek it (IPs) being well aware of the privacy
concerns of any website companies. So instead of the IP addresses, if
you can cooperate in running a simple bash script (which I will send if
you agree) on my behalf which will map the IP address (2012 recorded)
from your database to its corresponding ASN and handover the ASNs
dataset to me, I will be thankful and greatly appreciate for your time
and cooperation.

Awaiting for your reply.

Thanks & regards

Pradeep Bangera
PhD student
Institute IMDEA Networks
Madrid, Spain
Ph: +34 914 816 986

pradeep.bangera at imdea

Jun 14, 2012, 2:58 AM

Request for data from Wikimedia Foundation for academic research [In reply to]

[...]

lcarr at wikimedia

Jun 14, 2012, 10:11 AM

Re: Request for data from Wikimedia Foundation for academic research [In reply to]

Pradeep -

You may have better luck with this request at a network specific group
such as nanog, arin, or ripe. A group such as Arbor Networks may also
have a large amount of information on this request. I'm not the
end-all of this information but I believe that it would be both
non-trivial and a possible violation of user privacy.

Best of luck!
Leslie

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 2:58 AM, Pradeep Bangera
<pradeep.bangera [at] imdea> wrote:
> Hello Wikimedia's system administrators and developers,
>
> I am a PhD student from Institute IMDEA Networks, Spain. I very much
> appreciate the data that you have published in Wikimedia Report Card. I
> am writing this email as a kind request for a possible cooperation for
> assisting me in my research work by sharing your data without violating
> anyone's privacy.
>
> I have a task of developing a list of Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
> around the globe for 2012. One way of doing it is by mapping the IP
> addresses of the internet users who visit your websites to their
> corresponding Autonomous System Numbers (ASNs) of the ISPs. For this I
> need to have IP address dataset logged by your web server in 2012 and
> certainly I do not seek it (IPs) being well aware of the privacy
> concerns of any website companies. So instead of the IP addresses, if
> you can cooperate in running a simple bash script (which I will send if
> you agree) on my behalf which will map the IP address (2012 recorded)
> from your database to its corresponding ASN and handover the ASNs
> dataset to me, I will be thankful and greatly appreciate for your time
> and cooperation.
>
> Awaiting for your reply.
>
> Thanks & regards
>
> Pradeep Bangera
> PhD student
> Institute IMDEA Networks
> Madrid, Spain
> Ph: +34 914 816 986

Leslie Carr
Wikimedia Foundation
AS 14907, 43821
http://as14907.peeringdb.com/

pradeep.bangera at imdea

Jun 14, 2012, 3:22 PM

Re: Request for data from Wikimedia Foundation for academic research [In reply to]

Dear Leslie,

Thanks for responding. I guess my earlier email request was
misunderstood.

As Wikimedia report card publishes the unique visitors per geographic
region (http://reportcard.wmflabs.org/) similarly I was looking just for
the Autonomous System numbers (ASNs) (ISP's administrative numbers) in
every region.

For e.g., IP address "208.80.152.209" (Wikimedia) belongs to ASN "14907"
or "130.206.164.68" belongs to ASN "766" (my regional ISP in Madrid)

I DO NOT seek the IP addresses of the users NOR the unique visitors per
ISP, but only the ASN of the IP address i.e just the number "766" only.
I sincerely believe that the ASN (ISP) information will not violate any
user's privacy. And more over, the mapping of the IP address to the
corresponding ASN will be done by your team (therefore no IP addresses
are shared outside) using mine/your script (to automate the process).

ARIN or RIPE do not distinguish between ASNs of ISPs ("766") and ASNs of
a content providers ("14907"). I need the ASNs of the ISPs. I approached
Wikimedia because it gets hits vastly from the Internet users (IP) of
ISPs rather from content providers and it publishes data in
http://reportcard.wmflabs.org/ . Therefore I am hopeful. Thanks for your
time.

Best regards
Pradeep Bangera
PhD student
Institute IMDEA Networks
Madrid, Spain
Ph: +34 914 816 986

On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 10:11 -0700, Leslie Carr wrote:

> Pradeep -
>
> You may have better luck with this request at a network specific group
> such as nanog, arin, or ripe. A group such as Arbor Networks may also
> have a large amount of information on this request. I'm not the
> end-all of this information but I believe that it would be both
> non-trivial and a possible violation of user privacy.
>
> Best of luck!
> Leslie
>
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 2:58 AM, Pradeep Bangera
> <pradeep.bangera [at] imdea> wrote:
> > Hello Wikimedia's system administrators and developers,
> >
> > I am a PhD student from Institute IMDEA Networks, Spain. I very much
> > appreciate the data that you have published in Wikimedia Report Card. I
> > am writing this email as a kind request for a possible cooperation for
> > assisting me in my research work by sharing your data without violating
> > anyone's privacy.
> >
> > I have a task of developing a list of Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
> > around the globe for 2012. One way of doing it is by mapping the IP
> > addresses of the internet users who visit your websites to their
> > corresponding Autonomous System Numbers (ASNs) of the ISPs. For this I
> > need to have IP address dataset logged by your web server in 2012 and
> > certainly I do not seek it (IPs) being well aware of the privacy
> > concerns of any website companies. So instead of the IP addresses, if
> > you can cooperate in running a simple bash script (which I will send if
> > you agree) on my behalf which will map the IP address (2012 recorded)
> > from your database to its corresponding ASN and handover the ASNs
> > dataset to me, I will be thankful and greatly appreciate for your time
> > and cooperation.
> >
> > Awaiting for your reply.
> >
> > Thanks & regards
> >
> > Pradeep Bangera
> > PhD student
> > Institute IMDEA Networks
> > Madrid, Spain
> > Ph: +34 914 816 986

z at mzmcbride

Jun 14, 2012, 7:31 PM

Re: Request for data from Wikimedia Foundation for academic research [In reply to]

Pradeep Bangera wrote:
> I am a PhD student from Institute IMDEA Networks, Spain. I very much
> appreciate the data that you have published in Wikimedia Report Card. I
> am writing this email as a kind request for a possible cooperation for
> assisting me in my research work by sharing your data without violating
> anyone's privacy.
>
> I have a task of developing a list of Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
> around the globe for 2012. One way of doing it is by mapping the IP
> addresses of the internet users who visit your websites to their
> corresponding Autonomous System Numbers (ASNs) of the ISPs. For this I
> need to have IP address dataset logged by your web server in 2012 and
> certainly I do not seek it (IPs) being well aware of the privacy
> concerns of any website companies. So instead of the IP addresses, if
> you can cooperate in running a simple bash script (which I will send if
> you agree) on my behalf which will map the IP address (2012 recorded)
> from your database to its corresponding ASN and handover the ASNs
> dataset to me, I will be thankful and greatly appreciate for your time
> and cooperation.

Hi Pradeep,

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Index was designed for this
purpose. "The Wikimedia Research Index is the main research hub for wiki
researchers and the Wikimedia community. It's run by the Wikimedia Research
Committee and collaboratively maintained by its participants."

You should consult the Research Committee about the type of data you're
after and whether it's possible to obtain it given Wikimedia's privacy
policy and other considerations.

MZMcBride

datzrott at alizeepathology

Jun 15, 2012, 5:33 AM

Re: Request for data from Wikimedia Foundation for academic research [In reply to]

Although I can't speak for the Research Committee, I agree with Pradeep that
this is unlikely to violate any users privacy.

ASN cover very broad areas, significantly broader areas than you can gain
with the first three octets of an IP address. So they should reveal less
information than 125.237.89.xxx would reveal. Plainly put, they reveal a
user's ISP and maybe general region, but that is it.

Hope this explanation helps you with your efforts to convince the Research
Committee Pradeep.

Thank you,
Derric Atzrott