feedback from a gerrit newbie: gerrit questions; improvement of the Git/Tutorial;

mail at tgries

Jun 4, 2012, 3:27 AM

feedback from a gerrit newbie: gerrit questions; improvement of the Git/Tutorial;

1. Side-by-side diffs
How can I see side-by-side diffs between _arbitrary_ patchsets of a
changeset, for example difference between patchset #1 and #3 ?

2. On https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Tutorial we have full screenshots,
I suggest to prune them so the the page can be read easier. Any objections?

3. git review options
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Tutorial#Push_your_change_set_to_Gerrit
suggest

In the Tutorial, git review -R is suggested to be used.

Hashar showed me git review -f
(documented on
https://labsconsole.wikimedia.org/wiki/Git-review#Full_feature_branch_workflow_with_git-review
)

I suggest that the tutorial uses -f this (instead of -R). Please can you
experts think what's is better suited, or if both should be covered in
Tutorial ?

4. The Tutorial should in my view also explain in the introduction to
set up aliases
like explained on https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/aliases#all_together

5. The page https://labsconsole.wikimedia.org/wiki/Git-review should be
moved to mediawiki.org and get [[Category:Git]] there.

Many thanks for your valuable help (Saper) and answering questions
(Hashar) and the Tutorial (Preilly) @Hackathon Berlin 2012,
and all organizers. Hope to see you soon again.

Tom
(Wikinaut)
Attachments: signature.asc (0.48 KB)

amir.aharoni at mail

Jun 4, 2012, 3:51 AM

Re: feedback from a gerrit newbie: gerrit questions; improvement of the Git/Tutorial; [In reply to]

2012/6/4 Thomas Gries <mail [at] tgries>:
> 1. Side-by-side diffs
> How can I see side-by-side diffs between _arbitrary_ patchsets of a
> changeset, for example difference between patchset #1 and #3 ?

I added a way to do it here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Tutorial#Comparing_patch_sets

Notice the comment about browser tabs.

Everybody should feel free to change and move it to a more appropriate place.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

saper at saper

Jun 5, 2012, 1:17 AM

Re: feedback from a gerrit newbie: gerrit questions; improvement of the Git/Tutorial; [In reply to]

>> Thomas Gries <mail [at] tgries> wrote:

> In the Tutorial, git review -R is suggested to be used.
>
> Hashar showed me git review -f
> (documented on
> https://labsconsole.wikimedia.org/wiki/Git-review#Full_feature_branch_wor=
> kflow_with_git-review
> )
>
> I suggest that the tutorial uses -f this (instead of -R). Please can you
> experts think what's is better suited, or if both should be covered in
> Tutorial ?

Everything is fine given that you don't want to --amend the commit later
for some reason.

The more we get into this the more I regret we recommended using git-review
in the first place ;)

//Saper