Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Wikipedia wikitech RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

dvanliere at gmail

Jun 1, 2012, 7:33 AM

Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers

Hi all,

Ryan Lane just showed me that in Gerrit there is a separate right for creating repositories. I suggest we give this right to all WMF engineers. A repo is free and fun and will prevent unnecessary delays.

Best,
Diederik

jeremy at tuxmachine

Jun 1, 2012, 7:35 AM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Diederik van Liere <dvanliere [at] gmail> wrote:
> Ryan Lane just showed me that in Gerrit there is a separate right for creating repositories. I suggest we give this right to all WMF engineers. A repo is free and fun and will prevent unnecessary delays.

For the record this is a reference to

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/admin/groups/119,info

-Jeremy

innocentkiller at gmail

Jun 1, 2012, 8:41 AM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

I don't want to give this right to all engineers because setting up new
repositories is more than just choosing the name. There's also the issue of
understanding how Gerrit permissions work so you can set them up properly.
I did make a new "Project Creators" group that I'm more than willing to add
people to, once they've learned Gerrit permissions.

In addition, unless you make a group you're in the owner of the repo (which
can't be done via the GUI, only the CLI--this is a bug), you won't be able
to set permissions at all (this is by design).

So yeah, its not as easy as it sounds on the tin, so I don't want to hand
this out en masse. In an ideal world, I want us to have a special page
where people can request repos and we can automate the icky backend stuff.

-Chad
On Jun 1, 2012 10:33 AM, "Diederik van Liere" <dvanliere [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Ryan Lane just showed me that in Gerrit there is a separate right for
> creating repositories. I suggest we give this right to all WMF engineers. A
> repo is free and fun and will prevent unnecessary delays.
>
> Best,
> Diederik

dvanliere at gmail

Jun 1, 2012, 9:35 AM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

Could you please add David Schoonover and Andrew Otto to the Project Creators group?
Best,
Diederik

On 2012-06-01, at 5:41 PM, Chad wrote:

> I don't want to give this right to all engineers because setting up new
> repositories is more than just choosing the name. There's also the issue of
> understanding how Gerrit permissions work so you can set them up properly.
> I did make a new "Project Creators" group that I'm more than willing to add
> people to, once they've learned Gerrit permissions.
>
> In addition, unless you make a group you're in the owner of the repo (which
> can't be done via the GUI, only the CLI--this is a bug), you won't be able
> to set permissions at all (this is by design).
>
> So yeah, its not as easy as it sounds on the tin, so I don't want to hand
> this out en masse. In an ideal world, I want us to have a special page
> where people can request repos and we can automate the icky backend stuff.
>
> -Chad
> On Jun 1, 2012 10:33 AM, "Diederik van Liere" <dvanliere [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Ryan Lane just showed me that in Gerrit there is a separate right for
>> creating repositories. I suggest we give this right to all WMF engineers. A
>> repo is free and fun and will prevent unnecessary delays.
>>
>> Best,
>> Diederik

ori.livneh at gmail

Jun 4, 2012, 10:50 PM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:

> So yeah, its not as easy as it sounds on the tin, so I don't want to hand
> this out en masse. In an ideal world, I want us to have a special page
> where people can request repos and we can automate the icky backend stuff.

If it isn't easy, let's make it easy. I'm a new developer and not having a
repository to develop in has been absolutely paralyzing. (I requested one
on May 23, for what it's worth).

Gerrit is not just an SCM: there is a rapidly growing ecosystem of services
that integrate with it -- and if your code isn't there, you're persona non
grata. I've whipped up two iterations of a data collection backend for my
team and got it set up on a labs instance, but that was a week ago, and
since then things are at a standstill. It's been hard to get anyone to look
at it, because everyone's workflow and attentional habits are interwoven
with Gerrit now.

This particular side-project is a useful illustration of another important
point: Git's usefulness isn't limited to managing mature projects like
Mediawiki -- it has a crucial role to play in the earliest stages of
development, too. I have no idea if what I wrote is usable and scalable,
and it would've been good to get some feedback early. In the past, I have
found it useful and productive to whip up quick prototypes and put them up
on GitHub for feedback, instead of trading in inchoate ideas, or sitting on
them until the ideas feel mature (which *never* happens for me until I sit
down and start writing code). The ideas that stick get developed into
full-fledged products. Using Git in this way has been such a tremendous
boon for me as a developer, and not having that has been really frustrating.

I don't think expanding git-creation rights to a few more individuals goes
far enough, because the point at which you need a repository is antecedent
to the point in time at which you feel comfortable describing your work to
someone. For cool projects to happen, people need to feel empowered to
start repos for projects that seem speculative and maybe even a little
silly, and that won't happen when you make it necessary to ask for
permission.

At this point I expect someone to come along and point out that you don't
need Gerrit to start a Git repository -- "git init" will suffice. And
that's true, as long as you don't need to collaborate with anyone, or
develop on more than one machine (say rsync & I'll bop you on the head!),
or have stable urls to share with people.

jeremy at tuxmachine

Jun 4, 2012, 11:00 PM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 1:50 AM, Ori Livneh <ori.livneh [at] gmail> wrote:
> If it isn't easy, let's make it easy. I'm a new developer and not having a
> repository to develop in has been absolutely paralyzing. (I requested one
> on May 23, for what it's worth).
>
> Gerrit is not just an SCM: there is a rapidly growing ecosystem of services
> that integrate with it -- and if your code isn't there, you're persona non
> grata. I've whipped up two iterations of a data collection backend for my
> team and got it set up on a labs instance, but that was a week ago, and
> since then things are at a standstill. It's been hard to get anyone to look
> at it, because everyone's workflow and attentional habits are interwoven
> with Gerrit now.
>
> This particular side-project is a useful illustration of another important
> point: Git's usefulness isn't limited to managing mature projects like
> Mediawiki -- it has a crucial role to play in the earliest stages of
> development, too. I have no idea if what I wrote is usable and scalable,
> and it would've been good to get some feedback early. In the past, I have
> found it useful and productive to whip up quick prototypes and put them up
> on GitHub for feedback, instead of trading in inchoate ideas, or sitting on
> them until the ideas feel mature (which *never* happens for me until I sit
> down and start writing code). The ideas that stick get developed into
> full-fledged products. Using Git in this way has been such a tremendous
> boon for me as a developer, and not having that has been really frustrating.
>
> I don't think expanding git-creation rights to a few more individuals goes
> far enough, because the point at which you need a repository is antecedent
> to the point in time at which you feel comfortable describing your work to
> someone. For cool projects to happen, people need to feel empowered to
> start repos for projects that seem speculative and maybe even a little
> silly, and that won't happen when you make it necessary to ask for
> permission.
>
> At this point I expect someone to come along and point out that you don't
> need Gerrit to start a Git repository -- "git init" will suffice. And
> that's true, as long as you don't need to collaborate with anyone, or
> develop on more than one machine (say rsync & I'll bop you on the head!),
> or have stable urls to share with people.

I mostly agree with what you've said.

Just wanted to point out gerrit projects (aka repos) can never be
destroyed. so if you e.g. typo or rename a project or kill it 5 days
after you started it's still there forever. Only very recently have we
even been able to hide projects from project listings in the UI.

-Jeremy

ori.livneh at gmail

Jun 4, 2012, 11:13 PM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 11:00 PM, Jeremy Baron <jeremy [at] tuxmachine> wrote:

> I mostly agree with what you've said.
>
> Just wanted to point out gerrit projects (aka repos) can never be
> destroyed. so if you e.g. typo or rename a project or kill it 5 days
> after you started it's still there forever. Only very recently have we
> even been able to hide projects from project listings in the UI.

Isn't the same basically true of Wiki articles? I understand the desire to
keep things tidy, okay. But what would be the big deal about having ten or
even a hundred thousand abandoned repositories, so long as they are hidden,
and do not clutter the UI? The repositories that would be candidates for
deletion are the ones that got no further than an initial stab, and those
measure in kilobytes.

dvanliere at gmail

Jun 4, 2012, 11:25 PM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

Hi Ori,

I absolutely 100% agree and we really need to sort this out this week. The
lost productivity is unacceptable.

So far I have heard different arguments why we cannot hand out 'create-repo
rights' to engineers:

The first reason was that only admin's could do it but that is not longer
true with the special create repo right group

The second reason was that Gerrit's permission system is either too complex
or engineers don't know how it works. I have full confidence in our
engineers that they can master Gerrit's permission system in less than a
day.

Now a new argument is unleashed and that is that we cannot delete
repos. The fact that we cannot delete repos is a non-argument. None of us
are going to create a bazillion repos.

The way we are using Git right now makes it a more centralized system than
Subversion ever was. This means that we are not using it right. So I really
hope that we can close this discussion by handing out the 'create-repo
right' to paid WMF engineers or any paid WMF engineer who requests this.

Diederik

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Ori Livneh <ori.livneh [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 11:00 PM, Jeremy Baron <jeremy [at] tuxmachine>
> wrote:
> >
> > I mostly agree with what you've said.
> >
> > Just wanted to point out gerrit projects (aka repos) can never be
> > destroyed. so if you e.g. typo or rename a project or kill it 5 days
> > after you started it's still there forever. Only very recently have we
> > even been able to hide projects from project listings in the UI.
> >

> Isn't the same basically true of Wiki articles? I understand the desire to
> keep things tidy, okay. But what would be the big deal about having ten or
> even a hundred thousand abandoned repositories, so long as they are hidden,
> and do not clutter the UI? The repositories that would be candidates for
> deletion are the ones that got no further than an initial stab, and those
> measure in kilobytes.

alolita.sharma at gmail

Jun 4, 2012, 11:42 PM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

Hi Diederik, Ori,

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM, Diederik van Liere <dvanliere [at] gmail>wrote:

> Hi Ori,
>
> I absolutely 100% agree and we really need to sort this out this week. The
> lost productivity is unacceptable.
>
> It is unacceptable to have developers waiting in queue to get create-repo
access 'some day'. We've lost at least a couple of weeks worth of
productivity in Ori's case (for E3) since he's been unable to firstly get
gerrit access and then wait for someone from the release engineering team
to be available to create repos for him.

> So far I have heard different arguments why we cannot hand out 'create-repo
> rights' to engineers:
>
> The first reason was that only admin's could do it but that is not longer
> true with the special create repo right group
>
> This reason should not hold anymore.

> The second reason was that Gerrit's permission system is either too complex
> or engineers don't know how it works. I have full confidence in our
> engineers that they can master Gerrit's permission system in less than a
> day.

Well - that points to another problem - that of not providing adequate
training on Git/Gerrit even to foundation engineers. I understand that
every migration takes time but without having a published plan to support
and train application developers - this process of learning bit by bit will
take forever. And just think of the tough learning curve our volunteer
contributors may be having to go through.

> Now a new argument is unleashed and that is that we cannot delete
> repos. The fact that we cannot delete repos is a non-argument. None of us
> are going to create a bazillion repos.

Agreed.

> The way we are using Git right now makes it a more centralized system than
> Subversion ever was. This means that we are not using it right. So I really
> hope that we can close this discussion by handing out the 'create-repo
> right' to paid WMF engineers or any paid WMF engineer who requests this.

One of the major objectives stated for migrating to Git was to increase
developer contributions and make is easier every one to contribute. Right
now we seem to be stuck in the world of recreating our old world of svn
into Git. We can do better.

Alolita

> Diederik
>

> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Ori Livneh <ori.livneh [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 11:00 PM, Jeremy Baron <jeremy [at] tuxmachine>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I mostly agree with what you've said.
> > >
> > > Just wanted to point out gerrit projects (aka repos) can never be
> > > destroyed. so if you e.g. typo or rename a project or kill it 5 days
> > > after you started it's still there forever. Only very recently have we
> > > even been able to hide projects from project listings in the UI.
> > >

> > Isn't the same basically true of Wiki articles? I understand the desire
> > keep things tidy, okay. But what would be the big deal about having ten
> or
> > even a hundred thousand abandoned repositories, so long as they are
> hidden,
> > and do not clutter the UI? The repositories that would be candidates for
> > deletion are the ones that got no further than an initial stab, and those
> > measure in kilobytes.

jeremy at tuxmachine

Jun 4, 2012, 11:44 PM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 2:25 AM, Diederik van Liere <dvanliere [at] gmail> wrote:
> Now a new argument is unleashed and that is that we cannot delete
> repos. The fact that we cannot delete repos is a non-argument. None of us
> are going to create a bazillion repos.

I was just pointing it out; I've no idea how gerrit behaves with lots
of small+hidden repos. or with most of the repos in an instance
hidden. Maybe it's not a problem.

It sounds like Ori (and I think this is true for other people too)
would create lots of repos that don't live too long. Maybe that's a
bazillion, maybe not.

-Jeremy

dvanliere at gmail

Jun 4, 2012, 11:50 PM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Jeremy Baron <jeremy [at] tuxmachine> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 2:25 AM, Diederik van Liere <dvanliere [at] gmail>
> wrote:
> > Now a new argument is unleashed and that is that we cannot delete
> > repos. The fact that we cannot delete repos is a non-argument. None of us
> > are going to create a bazillion repos.
>
> I was just pointing it out; I've no idea how gerrit behaves with lots
> of small+hidden repos. or with most of the repos in an instance
> hidden. Maybe it's not a problem.

I would suggest that we cross that bridge when we get there. AFAIK,Ori and
the E3 team would only need a handful of repos in the coming months and the
same applies to the Analytics team.

> It sounds like Ori (and I think this is true for other people too)
> would create lots of repos that don't live too long. Maybe that's a
> bazillion, maybe not.
>
> -Jeremy

jeremy at tuxmachine

Jun 4, 2012, 11:56 PM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 2:50 AM, Diederik van Liere <dvanliere [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Jeremy Baron <jeremy [at] tuxmachine> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 2:25 AM, Diederik van Liere <dvanliere [at] gmail>
>> wrote:
>> > Now a new argument is unleashed and that is that we cannot delete
>> > repos. The fact that we cannot delete repos is a non-argument. None of us
>> > are going to create a bazillion repos.
>>
>> I was just pointing it out; I've no idea how gerrit behaves with lots
>> of small+hidden repos. or with most of the repos in an instance
>> hidden. Maybe it's not a problem.
>>
> I would suggest that we cross that bridge when we get there. AFAIK,Ori and
> the E3 team would only need a handful of repos in the coming months and the
> same applies to the Analytics team.

I should have clarified: I don't think repo creation rights should
wait on figuring it out.

We need cheap and copious repos regardless of who can technically
create them. Even if there's only 10 or 30 people that can create
repos we still could easily end up with a bazillion.

-Jeremy

ori.livneh at gmail

Jun 5, 2012, 2:32 AM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Jeremy Baron <jeremy [at] tuxmachine> wrote:

> I was just pointing it out; I've no idea how gerrit behaves with lots
> of small+hidden repos. or with most of the repos in an instance
> hidden. Maybe it's not a problem.

Some numbers here:
<
http://gerrit-documentation.googlecode.com/svn/Documentation/2.4/dev-design.html#_spam_and_abuse_considerations

p858snake at gmail

Jun 5, 2012, 2:40 AM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Alolita Sharma <alolita.sharma [at] gmail> wrote:
> It is unacceptable to have developers waiting in queue to get create-repo
> access 'some day'. We've lost at least a couple of weeks worth of
> productivity in Ori's case (for E3) since he's been unable to firstly get
> gerrit access and then wait for someone from the release engineering team
> to be available to create repos for him.

Did anyway say, Ask about it? I'm sure if you followed up with the one
of the project creators (eg: chad) he would have been more than happy
to push things along.

dvanliere at gmail

Jun 5, 2012, 3:33 AM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

So the estimated maximum number of projects is 10.000, while the default
maximum is 1.000.
For contributors, the default maximum is 1.000 and the estimated maximum
number is 50.000

Can we please tag this concern as addressed and start handing out the
rights?
Diederik

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Ori Livneh <ori.livneh [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Jeremy Baron <jeremy [at] tuxmachine>
> wrote:
> >
> > I was just pointing it out; I've no idea how gerrit behaves with lots
> > of small+hidden repos. or with most of the repos in an instance
> > hidden. Maybe it's not a problem.
> >

> Some numbers here:
> <
>
> http://gerrit-documentation.googlecode.com/svn/Documentation/2.4/dev-design.html#_spam_and_abuse_considerations

innocentkiller at gmail

Jun 5, 2012, 4:47 AM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 5:40 AM, K. Peachey <p858snake [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Alolita Sharma <alolita.sharma [at] gmail> wrote:
>> It is unacceptable to have developers waiting in queue to get create-repo
>> access 'some day'. We've lost at least a couple of weeks worth of
>> productivity in Ori's case (for E3) since he's been unable to firstly get
>> gerrit access and then wait for someone from the release engineering team
>> to be available to create repos for him.
>
> Did anyway say, Ask about it? I'm sure if you followed up with the one
> of the project creators (eg: chad) he would have been more than happy
> to push things along.

Just as a quick note--I created the E3 repo yesterday.

-Chad

innocentkiller at gmail

Jun 5, 2012, 5:13 AM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 6:33 AM, Diederik van Liere <dvanliere [at] gmail> wrote:
> So the estimated maximum number of projects is 10.000, while the default
> maximum is 1.000.
> For contributors, the default maximum is 1.000 and the estimated maximum
> number is 50.000
>
> Can we please tag this concern as addressed and start handing out the
> rights?
> Diederik

I've whipped up a quick tutorial for people who want to create new
repositories[0]. If people can read and make sure they understand
this page (with its various caveats), then yes, we can start handing
this out.

-Chad

[0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Creating_new_repositories

hashar+wmf at free

Jun 5, 2012, 12:26 PM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

Le 05/06/12 14:13, Chad a écrit :
> I've whipped up a quick tutorial for people who want to create new
> repositories[0]. If people can read and make sure they understand
> this page (with its various caveats), then yes, we can start handing
> this out.
>
> -Chad
>
> [0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Creating_new_repositories

Hello Chad,

Thanks for the tutorial, that is definitely going to help spread the
repo creation rights. I am more than happy to --sign-off your text :)

cheers,

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

dvanliere at gmail

Jun 5, 2012, 3:19 PM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

> Did anyway say, Ask about it? I'm sure if you followed up with the one
> of the project creators (eg: chad) he would have been more than happy
> to push things along.

I am sorry but I disagree. The question is not whether Chad or one of the
Gerrit admin's will help us, because they are super responsive and are
always helping us out when there are issues. The question is: what do we
(WMF engineers) think is a sensible Git / Gerrit workflow. Creating repo's
is part of this workflow. I believe in decentralized teams and our software
should support this.

A workflow where engineers have to bug a Gerrit admin to do something is a
broken workflow:
* You will always bug an admin at the wrong time
* It always takes more time to bug somebody than DIY, we are really losing
productive hours on issues like this.
* We are professional engineers, and every engineer should know how to
create a repo in Gerrit.
* Bugging an engineer (in general) is not a scalable workflow and we should
really move away from these kind of of accepted practises.

We need to stop focusing on what Gerrit can / cannot do and we need to
start drafting out team-specific workflows on how we want to use Git /
Gerrit.

Diederik

dvanliere at gmail

Jun 5, 2012, 3:20 PM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

> I've whipped up a quick tutorial for people who want to create new
> repositories[0]. If people can read and make sure they understand
> this page (with its various caveats), then yes, we can start handing
> this out.
>
> -Chad
>
> [0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Creating_new_repositories

Dear Chad,
This is really helpful! Thanks so much for putting this together!
Diederik

Platonides at gmail

Jun 5, 2012, 4:32 PM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

On 01/06/12 17:41, Chad wrote:
> I did make a new "Project Creators" group that I'm more than willing to add
> people to, once they've learned Gerrit permissions.
>
> In addition, unless you make a group you're in the owner of the repo (which
> can't be done via the GUI, only the CLI--this is a bug), you won't be able
> to set permissions at all (this is by design).

Are current permission groups viewable anywhere?

alolita.sharma at gmail

Jun 5, 2012, 4:38 PM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 2:40 AM, K. Peachey <p858snake [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Alolita Sharma <alolita.sharma [at] gmail>
> wrote:
> > It is unacceptable to have developers waiting in queue to get create-repo
> > access 'some day'. We've lost at least a couple of weeks worth of
> > productivity in Ori's case (for E3) since he's been unable to firstly get
> > gerrit access and then wait for someone from the release engineering team
> > to be available to create repos for him.
>
> Did anyway say, Ask about it? I'm sure if you followed up with the one
> of the project creators (eg: chad) he would have been more than happy
> to push things along.

We already had.

alolita.sharma at gmail

Jun 5, 2012, 4:39 PM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

Hey Chad,

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Diederik van Liere <dvanliere [at] gmail>wrote:

> > I've whipped up a quick tutorial for people who want to create new
> > repositories[0]. If people can read and make sure they understand
> > this page (with its various caveats), then yes, we can start handing
> > this out.
> >
> > -Chad
> >
> > [0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Creating_new_repositories

Many thanks for this and your help on creating the E3 repo. Appreciate it!

Best,
Alolita

> Dear Chad,
> This is really helpful! Thanks so much for putting this together!
> Diederik

a.d.bergi at web

Jun 5, 2012, 4:55 PM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

Platonides schrieb:
> On 01/06/12 17:41, Chad wrote:
>> I did make a new "Project Creators" group that I'm more than willing to add
>> people to, once they've learned Gerrit permissions.
>>
>> In addition, unless you make a group you're in the owner of the repo (which
>> can't be done via the GUI, only the CLI--this is a bug), you won't be able
>> to set permissions at all (this is by design).
>
> Are current permission groups viewable anywhere?

Chad's tutorial
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Creating_new_repositories> includes
a link to "people who are allowed to create new repositories"
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/admin/groups/119,members>, if you were
looking for that.

Bergi

innocentkiller at gmail

Jun 5, 2012, 5:25 PM

Re: Give create gerrit repo right to all WMF engineers [In reply to]

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Bergi <a.d.bergi [at] web> wrote:
> Platonides schrieb:
>
>> On 01/06/12 17:41, Chad wrote:
>>>
>>> I did make a new "Project Creators" group that I'm more than willing to
>>> add
>>> people to, once they've learned Gerrit permissions.
>>>
>>> In addition, unless you make a group you're in the owner of the repo
>>> (which
>>> can't be done via the GUI, only the CLI--this is a bug), you won't be
>>> able
>>> to set permissions at all (this is by design).
>>

>> Are current permission groups viewable anywhere?
>

> Chad's tutorial
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Creating_new_repositories> includes a
> link to "people who are allowed to create new repositories"
> <https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/admin/groups/119,members>, if you were
> looking for that.

More generally, there's the group listing in gerrit that's viewable to all
logged in users[0]. Every group should be publicly viewable and show
the users in it (other than LDAP groups, but this is a known bug and
very few of our groups are LDAP based)

-Chad

[0] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/admin/groups/