Thanks,

Chris

worden.lee at gmail

Re: HTMLPurifier [In reply to]

I've been considering using it, so I'd be interested too.

On 04/24/2012 11:52 AM, wikitech-l-request [at] lists wrote:
> From: Chris Steipp<csteipp [at] wikimedia>
> Subject: [Wikitech-l] HTMLPurifier
>
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Does anyone know if mediawiki has ever used HTMLPurifier (
> http://htmlpurifier.org/) as a library? Or if any extensions have used it?
>
> I'm looking at adding in a library for svg cleaning that depends on it, but
> not sure if that's something that can be added in, or if I
> should re-implement those features.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

z at mzmcbride

Re: HTMLPurifier [In reply to]

Chris Steipp wrote:
> Does anyone know if mediawiki has ever used HTMLPurifier (
> http://htmlpurifier.org/) as a library? Or if any extensions have used it?

I don't know of any MediaWiki-related code using HTMLPurifier.

I think I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that MediaWiki comes with its own
HTML sanitizer. More information can be found here:
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/HTML_restriction>.

> I'm looking at adding in a library for svg cleaning that depends on it, but
> not sure if that's something that can be added in, or if I
> should re-implement those features.

MediaWiki's Sanitizer.php was written long before HTMLPurifier existed. I
imagine if such a thought-out and stable library had existed in 2002, Brion
would have opted to use it instead of rolling his own. In general, the less
reinventing of the wheel, the better. :-) Obviously you have to consider
the licensing, speed, capability, security, and stability of such libraries
when making a decision whether to use one, though.

MZMcBride