GSoC announcement of students for 2012

sumanah at wikimedia

GSoC announcement of students for 2012

https://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/04/23/wmf-selects-9-students-for-gsoc/

Ankur Anand, integrating Flickr upload and geolocation into
UploadWizard. Mentor: WMF engineer Ryan Kaldari
Harry Burt, TranslateSvg ("Bringing the translation revolution to
Wikimedia Commons"). Mentor: WMF engineer Max Semenik
Akshay Chugh, making a convention/conference extension for
MediaWiki. Mentor: volunteer developer Jure Kajzer
Ashish Dubey, realtime collaboration in the upcoming visual editor.
Mentor: WMF engineer Trevor Parscal
Suhas HS, improvements to the OpenStackManager extension. Mentor:
WMF engineer Ryan Lane
Nischay Nahata, optimizing the performance of the Semantic MediaWiki
extension. Mentor: volunteer developer Markus Krötzsch
Aaron Pramana, watchlist grouping and workflow improvements. Mentor:
volunteer developer Alex Emsenhuber
Robin Pepermans, working on Incubator improvements and language
support, Mentor: WMF engineer Niklas Laxström
Platonides, a desktop application for mass-uploading files to
Wikimedia Commons. Mentor: me (as project manager and mentor of record;
Platonides will consult with technical experts)

Congratulations. You are the most promising students among the 63 who
applied, so we chose you to participate in our Google Summer of Code
program. Please consult your mentor to discuss what you ought to do
during the community bonding period (now till May 21).

Students whom we did not accept: please don't despair. As you can see,
you had a lot of very strong competition, and we only had nine slots.
We encourage you to keep learning about open source, use our IRC
channels and mailing lists, and even work on your projects as
volunteers! Most of us got into this hobby without GSoC, and you can
too. :-)

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator

sumanah at wikimedia

Re: GSoC announcement of students for 2012 [In reply to]

On 04/23/2012 12:28 PM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> Nischay Nahata, optimizing the performance of the Semantic MediaWiki
> extension. Mentor: volunteer developer Markus Krötzsch

I'm sorry - I mistakenly did not mention that Nischay will be
co-mentored by Jeroen De Dauw.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator
Wikimedia Foundation

ashish.dubey91 at gmail

Re: GSoC announcement of students for 2012 [In reply to]

Hello

Great thanks to everyone who helped to make it happen. Looking forward to a
great summer!

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Sumana Harihareswara <
sumanah [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/04/23/wmf-selects-9-students-for-gsoc/
>
> Ankur Anand, integrating Flickr upload and geolocation into
> UploadWizard. Mentor: WMF engineer Ryan Kaldari
> Harry Burt, TranslateSvg ("Bringing the translation revolution to
> Wikimedia Commons"). Mentor: WMF engineer Max Semenik
> Akshay Chugh, making a convention/conference extension for
> MediaWiki. Mentor: volunteer developer Jure Kajzer
> Ashish Dubey, realtime collaboration in the upcoming visual editor.
> Mentor: WMF engineer Trevor Parscal
> Suhas HS, improvements to the OpenStackManager extension. Mentor:
> WMF engineer Ryan Lane
> Nischay Nahata, optimizing the performance of the Semantic MediaWiki
> extension. Mentor: volunteer developer Markus Krötzsch
> Aaron Pramana, watchlist grouping and workflow improvements. Mentor:
> volunteer developer Alex Emsenhuber
> Robin Pepermans, working on Incubator improvements and language
> support, Mentor: WMF engineer Niklas Laxström
> Platonides, a desktop application for mass-uploading files to
> Wikimedia Commons. Mentor: me (as project manager and mentor of record;
> Platonides will consult with technical experts)
>

> Congratulations. You are the most promising students among the 63 who
> applied, so we chose you to participate in our Google Summer of Code
> program. Please consult your mentor to discuss what you ought to do
> during the community bonding period (now till May 21).
>
> Students whom we did not accept: please don't despair. As you can see,
> you had a lot of very strong competition, and we only had nine slots.
> We encourage you to keep learning about open source, use our IRC
> channels and mailing lists, and even work on your projects as
> volunteers! Most of us got into this hobby without GSoC, and you can
> too. :-)
>
> --
> Sumana Harihareswara
> Volunteer Development Coordinator
> Wikimedia Foundation

Ashish Dubey

asharma at wikimedia

Re: GSoC announcement of students for 2012 [In reply to]

Congrats Ashish! Looking forward to all of our GSoC team build great code.

Alolita

On Apr 24, 2012, at 8:42 AM, Ashish Dubey <ashish.dubey91 [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Great thanks to everyone who helped to make it happen. Looking forward to a
> great summer!
>
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Sumana Harihareswara <
> sumanah [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>
>> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/04/23/wmf-selects-9-students-for-gsoc/
>>
>> Ankur Anand, integrating Flickr upload and geolocation into
>> UploadWizard. Mentor: WMF engineer Ryan Kaldari
>> Harry Burt, TranslateSvg ("Bringing the translation revolution to
>> Wikimedia Commons"). Mentor: WMF engineer Max Semenik
>> Akshay Chugh, making a convention/conference extension for
>> MediaWiki. Mentor: volunteer developer Jure Kajzer
>> Ashish Dubey, realtime collaboration in the upcoming visual editor.
>> Mentor: WMF engineer Trevor Parscal
>> Suhas HS, improvements to the OpenStackManager extension. Mentor:
>> WMF engineer Ryan Lane
>> Nischay Nahata, optimizing the performance of the Semantic MediaWiki
>> extension. Mentor: volunteer developer Markus Krötzsch
>> Aaron Pramana, watchlist grouping and workflow improvements. Mentor:
>> volunteer developer Alex Emsenhuber
>> Robin Pepermans, working on Incubator improvements and language
>> support, Mentor: WMF engineer Niklas Laxström
>> Platonides, a desktop application for mass-uploading files to
>> Wikimedia Commons. Mentor: me (as project manager and mentor of record;
>> Platonides will consult with technical experts)
>>

>> Congratulations. You are the most promising students among the 63 who
>> applied, so we chose you to participate in our Google Summer of Code
>> program. Please consult your mentor to discuss what you ought to do
>> during the community bonding period (now till May 21).
>>
>> Students whom we did not accept: please don't despair. As you can see,
>> you had a lot of very strong competition, and we only had nine slots.
>> We encourage you to keep learning about open source, use our IRC
>> channels and mailing lists, and even work on your projects as
>> volunteers! Most of us got into this hobby without GSoC, and you can
>> too. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Sumana Harihareswara
>> Volunteer Development Coordinator
>> Wikimedia Foundation

> Ashish Dubey

drecodeam at gmail

Re: GSoC announcement of students for 2012 [In reply to]

Thank you everyone, i am really excited for this, looking forward to a great working summer.

--
drecodeam