Re: Request for Comments: Cross site data access for Wikidata

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

daniel at brightbyte

Re: Request for Comments: Cross site data access for Wikidata [In reply to]

Thanks for the input Platonides.

I'll have to re-read your comments to fully understand them. For now, just a
quick question:

> When going to show it, it would check:
> 1) Is the latest WikiData version newer than 2.0? (No-> go to 5)
> 2) Is the Germany module newer than 488584364? (No-> Store that it's up
> to date to WikiData 3, go to 5)
> 3) Fetch Germany data. If the used data hasn't changed, update the
> metadata. Go to 5.
> 4) Re-render the page.
> 5) Show contents.

You think making a db query to check if the data is up to date, every time the
page is *viewed*, is feasible? I would have though this prohibitively
expensive... it would be nice and simple, of course.

The approach of marking the rendered page data as stale (using page_touched)
whenever the data changes seems much more efficient. Though it does introduce
some additional complexity.

Also, checking on every page view is out of the questions for external sites,
right? So we'd still need a push interface for these...

-- daniel