Git code review metrics

erik at wikimedia

Git code review metrics

Following up on the earlier thread by Rob [1], Rob and I kicked around
the question what metrics/targets for code review we want to surface
on an ongoing basis. We're not going to invest in a huge dashboard
project right now, but we'll try to get at least some of the key
metrics generated and visualized automatically. Help is appreciated,
starting with what the metrics are that we should look at.

Here's what we came up with, by priority:

1) Most important: Time series graph of # of open changesets
Target: Numer of open changesets should not exceed 200.
Optional breakdown:
- mediawiki/core
- mediawiki/extensions
- WMF-deployed extensions
- specific repos

2) Important: Aging trends.
- Time series graph of # open changesets older than a, b, c days
(to indicate troubling aging trends, e.g. a=3, b=5, c=7)
- Target: There should be 0 changes that haven't been looked at
all for more than 7 days.
- Including only: Changes which have not received a -1 review, -1
verification, or -2
- Optional breakdown as above
- Rationale: We're looking for tendencies of complete neglect of
submissions here, which is why we have to exclude -1s or -2s.

3) Possibly useful:
- Per-reviewer or reviewee(?) statistics regarding merge activity,
number of -1s, neglected code, etc.

Any obvious thinking errors in the above / do the targets make sense /
should we look at other metrics or approaches?

Erik

[1] http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2012-April/059940.html

--
Erik Möller

z at mzmcbride

Re: Git code review metrics [In reply to]

Erik Moeller wrote:
> Following up on the earlier thread by Rob [1], Rob and I kicked around
> the question what metrics/targets for code review we want to surface
> on an ongoing basis. We're not going to invest in a huge dashboard
> project right now, but we'll try to get at least some of the key
> metrics generated and visualized automatically. Help is appreciated,
> starting with what the metrics are that we should look at.

Regarding help, is the Gerrit commit metadata available in some replicated
form on WMF Labs? The Toolserver has a replicated copy of MediaWiki's
CodeReview tables. Is there something similar for Gerrit/WMF Labs?

I almost asked about the Toolserver, but then I just got sad.

MZMcBride

Platonides at gmail

Re: Git code review metrics [In reply to]

On 21/04/12 04:18, MZMcBride wrote:
> Regarding help, is the Gerrit commit metadata available in some replicated
> form on WMF Labs? The Toolserver has a replicated copy of MediaWiki's
> CodeReview tables. Is there something similar for Gerrit/WMF Labs?
>
> I almost asked about the Toolserver, but then I just got sad.
>
> MZMcBride

Once a change is merged, there's a summary of the review stored in git
notes for that revision, but I don't know of any place where other
review info is being stored other than the manganese db.

innocentkiller at gmail

Re: Git code review metrics [In reply to]

This information is fetchable from refs/notes/review.

-Chad