Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: Wikitech

Unified login vs. unified settings

 

 

Wikipedia wikitech RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


palnatoke at gmail

Apr 15, 2012, 1:42 AM

Post #1 of 13 (363 views)
Permalink
Unified login vs. unified settings

Hi!

I would love to be able to manage my settings in one place - skins,
language, gender etc. - rather than having to guess which option is which
in a foreign language where I may even have chosen Cologne Blue in some
distant past...

I have found no way in the current setup to do so. Am I overlooking
something?


Regards,
Ole

--
http://palnatoke.org * @palnatoke * +4522934588
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


martijnhoekstra at gmail

Apr 15, 2012, 1:50 AM

Post #2 of 13 (349 views)
Permalink
Re: Unified login vs. unified settings [In reply to]

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Ole Palnatoke Andersen
<palnatoke [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I would love to be able to manage my settings in one place - skins,
> language, gender etc. - rather than having to guess which option is which
> in a foreign language where I may even have chosen Cologne Blue in some
> distant past...
>
> I have found no way in the current setup to do so. Am I overlooking
> something?
>
>
> Regards,
> Ole
>
> --
> http://palnatoke.org * @palnatoke * +4522934588
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

I think that last time a saw this discussed, it was rejected on the
base of site-specific gadgets and people who have different
preferences on different projects.

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


palnatoke at gmail

Apr 15, 2012, 1:55 AM

Post #3 of 13 (353 views)
Permalink
Re: Unified login vs. unified settings [In reply to]

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Martijn Hoekstra <
martijnhoekstra [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Ole Palnatoke Andersen
> <palnatoke [at] gmail> wrote:
> > I would love to be able to manage my settings in one place - skins,
> > language, gender etc. - rather than having to guess which option is which
> > in a foreign language where I may even have chosen Cologne Blue in some
> > distant past...
>


> I think that last time a saw this discussed, it was rejected on the
> base of site-specific gadgets and people who have different
> preferences on different projects.
>
>
I see a point in that a user may break his/her local preferences through
messing with the global prefs. That will probably happen at least once to
approximately 100 % of the users. It may or may not be a problem, though.

Ole


--
http://palnatoke.org * @palnatoke * +4522934588
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


benapetr at gmail

Apr 15, 2012, 1:58 AM

Post #4 of 13 (350 views)
Permalink
Re: Unified login vs. unified settings [In reply to]

I could be easily preference of users to pick if they want to use
global settings or override it, should be very easy to implement

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Martijn Hoekstra
<martijnhoekstra [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Ole Palnatoke Andersen
> <palnatoke [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I would love to be able to manage my settings in one place - skins,
>> language, gender etc. - rather than having to guess which option is which
>> in a foreign language where I may even have chosen Cologne Blue in some
>> distant past...
>>
>> I have found no way in the current setup to do so. Am I overlooking
>> something?
>>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ole
>>
>> --
>> http://palnatoke.org * @palnatoke * +4522934588
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikitech-l mailing list
>> Wikitech-l [at] lists
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
> I think that last time a saw this discussed, it was rejected on the
> base of site-specific gadgets and people who have different
> preferences on different projects.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


mail at tgries

Apr 15, 2012, 2:15 AM

Post #5 of 13 (356 views)
Permalink
Re: Unified login vs. unified settings [In reply to]

see open issue https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14950 and
the bugs marked as duplicates to it.
Global preferences
importance = high


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


palnatoke at gmail

Apr 15, 2012, 2:30 AM

Post #6 of 13 (351 views)
Permalink
Re: Unified login vs. unified settings [In reply to]

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Thomas Gries <mail [at] tgries> wrote:

> see open issue https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14950 and
> the bugs marked as duplicates to it.
> Global preferences
> importance = high
>
>
Thanks. I'll just sit over in the corner impatiently, then :-)


--
http://palnatoke.org * @palnatoke * +4522934588
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


agarrett at wikimedia

Apr 15, 2012, 8:43 AM

Post #7 of 13 (346 views)
Permalink
Re: Unified login vs. unified settings [In reply to]

I wrote it once upon a time (in about 2009). It was never reviewed, and I
could never find a sensible way to set up an interface for it. Not all
preferences are transferrable, not everybody wants any shared preferences
at all. I thought about using a whitelist and a single opt-in/out option,
but the way I implemented it was a single opt-in/out for all preferences.

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Ole Palnatoke Andersen <palnatoke [at] gmail
> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I would love to be able to manage my settings in one place - skins,
> language, gender etc. - rather than having to guess which option is which
> in a foreign language where I may even have chosen Cologne Blue in some
> distant past...
>
> I have found no way in the current setup to do so. Am I overlooking
> something?
>
>
> Regards,
> Ole
>
> --
> http://palnatoke.org * @palnatoke * +4522934588
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>



--
Andrew Garrett
Wikimedia Foundation
agarrett [at] wikimedia
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


benapetr at gmail

Apr 15, 2012, 12:47 PM

Post #8 of 13 (393 views)
Permalink
Re: Unified login vs. unified settings [In reply to]

It would be better if user could override it on local wiki, or kept
using global one, per project

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 5:43 PM, Andrew Garrett <agarrett [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> I wrote it once upon a time (in about 2009). It was never reviewed, and I
> could never find a sensible way to set up an interface for it. Not all
> preferences are transferrable, not everybody wants any shared preferences
> at all. I thought about using a whitelist and a single opt-in/out option,
> but the way I implemented it was a single opt-in/out for all preferences.
>
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Ole Palnatoke Andersen <palnatoke [at] gmail
>> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I would love to be able to manage my settings in one place - skins,
>> language, gender etc. - rather than having to guess which option is which
>> in a foreign language where I may even have chosen Cologne Blue in some
>> distant past...
>>
>> I have found no way in the current setup to do so. Am I overlooking
>> something?
>>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ole
>>
>> --
>> http://palnatoke.org * @palnatoke * +4522934588
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikitech-l mailing list
>> Wikitech-l [at] lists
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Andrew Garrett
> Wikimedia Foundation
> agarrett [at] wikimedia
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


Platonides at gmail

Apr 15, 2012, 1:37 PM

Post #9 of 13 (337 views)
Permalink
Re: Unified login vs. unified settings [In reply to]

On 15/04/12 21:47, Petr Bena wrote:
> It would be better if user could override it on local wiki, or kept
> using global one, per project

He could now.
Preference system have been rewritten since that time.


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


agarrett at wikimedia

Apr 15, 2012, 5:08 PM

Post #10 of 13 (341 views)
Permalink
Re: Unified login vs. unified settings [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 6:37 AM, Platonides <Platonides [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 15/04/12 21:47, Petr Bena wrote:
> > It would be better if user could override it on local wiki, or kept
> > using global one, per project
>
> He could now.
> Preference system have been rewritten since that time.
>

*I* rewrote the preference system, and my proposed patch for global
preferences was part of that package. It was reverted, mostly to ease
review load. I think that's pretty much what I did when I implemented it (I
had a local flag to disable global preferences).

--
Andrew Garrett
Wikimedia Foundation
agarrett [at] wikimedia
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


wikiposta at gmail

Apr 15, 2012, 10:43 PM

Post #11 of 13 (340 views)
Permalink
Re: Unified login vs. unified settings [In reply to]

2012/4/15 Ole Palnatoke Andersen <palnatoke [at] gmail>

> Hi!
>
> I would love to be able to manage my settings in one place


There is somewhere a bot that does it for you, but I don't remember where I
saw it.

--
Bináris
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


orenbochman at gmail

Apr 16, 2012, 7:46 AM

Post #12 of 13 (340 views)
Permalink
Re: Unified login vs. unified settings [In reply to]

I'd love it too - but I noticed that different wikis have quite different
settings due to different gadgets and extensions being available.

So a good solution would have to be smart enough to accommodate this.



Oren Bochman
-----Original Message-----
From: wikitech-l-bounces [at] lists
[mailto:wikitech-l-bounces [at] lists] On Behalf Of Bináris
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2012 7:44 AM
To: Wikimedia developers
Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] Unified login vs. unified settings

2012/4/15 Ole Palnatoke Andersen <palnatoke [at] gmail>

> Hi!
>
> I would love to be able to manage my settings in one place


There is somewhere a bot that does it for you, but I don't remember where I
saw it.

--
Bináris
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


Platonides at gmail

Apr 16, 2012, 12:06 PM

Post #13 of 13 (343 views)
Permalink
Re: Unified login vs. unified settings [In reply to]

On 16/04/12 02:08, Andrew Garrett wrote:
> *I* rewrote the preference system, and my proposed patch for global
> preferences was part of that package. It was reverted, mostly to ease
> review load. I think that's pretty much what I did when I implemented it (I
> had a local flag to disable global preferences).

Sorry, I didn't remember the details.



_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

Wikipedia wikitech RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.