GSoC applications closed

sumanah at wikimedia

GSoC applications closed

The deadline for students to apply to Google Summer of Code has now
passed. We received 41 substantive proposals*, but of course can only
accept a small subset of those. We don't have that many willing
mentors, we certainly won't get that many slots from Google, and I want
to accept only students who are very likely to succeed.

Early next week I'll be in touch with mentors to finish ranking and
grading the proposals. Also next week, several applicants who still
haven't found mentors will be looking for experienced developers to fall
in love with their proposals. :-)

We'll announce the acceptances on April 23rd.

* And 22 that were spam, copy-and-paste from our ideas list, incredibly
vague, etc. In 2011 we only got about 24 consideration-worthy
proposals, so this year's quite an increase. Thanks to everyone who did
outreach and who helped people apply.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator

sumanah at wikimedia

Re: GSoC applications closed [In reply to]

On 04/06/2012 07:13 PM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> The deadline for students to apply to Google Summer of Code has now
> passed. We received 41 substantive proposals*, but of course can only
> accept a small subset of those. We don't have that many willing
> mentors, we certainly won't get that many slots from Google, and I want
> to accept only students who are very likely to succeed.
>
> Early next week I'll be in touch with mentors to finish ranking and
> grading the proposals. Also next week, several applicants who still
> haven't found mentors will be looking for experienced developers to fall
> in love with their proposals. :-)
>
> We'll announce the acceptances on April 23rd.
>
> * And 22 that were spam, copy-and-paste from our ideas list, incredibly
> vague, etc. In 2011 we only got about 24 consideration-worthy
> proposals, so this year's quite an increase. Thanks to everyone who did
> outreach and who helped people apply.

Update: Google gave us nine slots, so we will accept, at most, nine
students. We're now evaluating the proposals and students.