Updated 1.20wmf1 deployment schedule - starting April 10

robla at wikimedia

Updated 1.20wmf1 deployment schedule - starting April 10

Hi everyone,

In order to avoid stomping on the Easter holiday in Europe, we're
postponing the first day of the deployment of MediaWiki 1.20wmf01

Tuesday, April 10, 18:00-20:00 UTC (11am-1pm PDT): MediaWiki 1.20wmf01
deployment - test2, potentially mediawiki.org
Wednesday April 11, 18:00-20:00 UTC (11am-1pm PDT): Potentially window
for MediaWiki.org 1.20wmf01 deployment if needed
Monday, April 16, 18:00-20:00 UTC (11am-1pm PDT): MediaWiki 1.20wmf01
deployment - Deploy to all non-Wikipedia sites (commons, Wiktionary,
Wikisource, Wikinews, Wikibooks, Wikiquote, Wikiversity) --
potentially split into two deployments if needed
Monday, April 23, 18:00-20:00 UTC (11am-1pm PDT): MediaWiki 1.20wmf01
deployment - Deploy to English Wikipedia
Wednesday, April 25, 18:00-20:00 UTC (11am-1pm PDT): MediaWiki
1.20wmf01 deployment - Deploy to other Wikipedias

Also, some bikeshedding on the branch name: I vote that the branch
name to be wmf/1.20wmf01 , and subsequent deployments to follow that
scheme. That way, we can still say 1.20wmf01 as shorthand, and people
can figure out that "oh, you prefix wmf/ on the front for permissions
reasons".

Other work that's underway or needs to get underway:
* Chad has started the work of converting make-wmf-branch to Git:
https://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/tools/make-wmf-branch/default.conf?view=markup
* Aaron is also working on the scripts for pulling our WMF-specific
hacks and reapplying them in 1.20.
* We still need to audit the scap/sync scripts to make sure that .git
folder is being excluded on scap. Roan has started looking at that
now.

During the next few weeks while both 1.19wmf1 and 1.20wmf01 are out
there, we're going to need to use both Subversion and Git for
deployment-oriented code.

Rob

innocentkiller at gmail

Re: Updated 1.20wmf1 deployment schedule - starting April 10 [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Rob Lanphier <robla [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> Also, some bikeshedding on the branch name:  I vote that the branch
> name to be wmf/1.20wmf01 , and subsequent deployments to follow that
> scheme.  That way, we can still say 1.20wmf01 as shorthand, and people
> can figure out that "oh, you prefix wmf/ on the front for permissions
> reasons".

Sounds fine.

> Other work that's underway or needs to get underway:
> *  Chad has started the work of converting make-wmf-branch to Git:
>   https://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/tools/make-wmf-branch/default.conf?view=markup

This is almost done enough for the first deploy.

> *  Aaron is also working on the scripts for pulling our WMF-specific
> hacks and reapplying them in 1.20.

Like I said to him on IRC, the absolute best thing to do here is
get them into master so we can avoid the conflicts. Worst case,
we can just apply them manually to the branch once we've made
it.

> *  We still need to audit the scap/sync scripts to make sure that .git
> folder is being excluded on scap.  Roan has started looking at that
> now.

Awesome.

> During the next few weeks while both 1.19wmf1 and 1.20wmf01 are out
> there, we're going to need to use both Subversion and Git for
> deployment-oriented code.

That's part of the fun ;-)

-Chad

roan.kattouw at gmail

Re: Updated 1.20wmf1 deployment schedule - starting April 10 [In reply to]

filed https://rt.wikimedia.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=2785