GSoC: Caterpillar the Category Tool

kalan.001 at gmail

GSoC: Caterpillar the Category Tool

Hello,

I present a proposal for a system that is going to solve the category
intersection problem (and, in fact, allow all set-theory operations
for categories). The name I suggest for it is “Caterpillar”.

Such a system would consist of a C or C++ backend daemon that stores
all the category graph in RAM and MediaWiki extension frontend.

Here is the full text of the proposal:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Kalan/gsoc

I am seeking for an interested mentor.

— Kalan

gregory.varnum at gmail

Re: GSoC: Caterpillar the Category Tool [In reply to]

Kalan,

I would expand more on what you'd like to accomplish and why. Also move some of the About info to the top and fill out the bottom "About" with information about yourself in particular - we'd like to get to know you (for those that don't already).

Have you had any interest from potential mentors? If not, I would look into the resources outlining interested volunteers - and touch base with folks in IRC.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/GSOC#Mentor_signup

-greg aka varnent

On Apr 6, 2012, at 11:11 AM, Kalan <kalan.001 [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I present a proposal for a system that is going to solve the category
> intersection problem (and, in fact, allow all set-theory operations
> for categories). The name I suggest for it is Caterpillar.
>
> Such a system would consist of a C or C++ backend daemon that stores
> all the category graph in RAM and MediaWiki extension frontend.
>
> Here is the full text of the proposal:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Kalan/gsoc
>
> I am seeking for an interested mentor.
>
> Kalan

Platonides at gmail

Re: GSoC: Caterpillar the Category Tool [In reply to]

Hello Kalan,
This is a late proposal, but still a very interesting goal.
I wonder however about how you expect to perform it.

What kind of structure would you use for in-memory storage
of the categories? How do you perform intersection in that?
How do you update them? (ie. category insertion/deletion)

Do you have a rough estimate of the complexity order of
each of those operations?

I agree it's a good challenge, and I'm happy that you're
excited with that, but I'm afraid that it might be too
hard to actually accomplish.
Or it may be doable, but needing several compromises.

daniel at brightbyte

Re: GSoC: Caterpillar the Category Tool [In reply to]

Hello Kalan

This already exists and is currently being beta-tested on the toolserver. If
would be very cool if you could build on top of this!

The backend consists of two components, graphcore and graphserv. WMDE contracted
Johannes Kroll to implement them based on my spec. The code is available an GitHub:

* https://github.com/jkroll20/graphcore
* https://github.com/jkroll20/graphserv

Documentation:

* https://github.com/jkroll20/graphcore/blob/master/README.rst
* https://github.com/jkroll20/graphserv/blob/master/doc/install.rst
* https://github.com/jkroll20/graphserv/blob/master/doc/usage.rst

You can see the original specs here:

* http://wikimedia.de/wiki/Ausschreibung/GraphServ/Spec

I have developed client libraries for this in Python and PHP:

* http://wikimedia.de/wiki/Ausschreibung/GraphServ/Spec

I have also started to implement a Web-API for accessing the category structure,
including a component for fetching updates from the wikipedia databases:

* https://svn.toolserver.org/svnroot/daniel/duesenstuff/trunk/CatGraph/

The API is online here, but the backend is frequently unavailable or gets reset
to an empty state:

* http://toolserver.org/~daniel/CatGraph/CatGraphApi.php

more info at http://toolserver.org/~daniel/CatGraph/help.html

SO, check it out, and see if you find something you can build with this!
-- daniel

PS: all of this is copyrighted by wikimedia germany and available under a free
license. If the licensing of any component is unclear, please let me know, i'll
fix it.

On 06.04.2012 17:11, Kalan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I present a proposal for a system that is going to solve the category
> intersection problem (and, in fact, allow all set-theory operations
> for categories). The name I suggest for it is “Caterpillar”.
>
> Such a system would consist of a C or C++ backend daemon that stores
> all the category graph in RAM and MediaWiki extension frontend.
>
> Here is the full text of the proposal:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Kalan/gsoc
>
> I am seeking for an interested mentor.
>
> — Kalan

daniel at brightbyte

Re: GSoC: Caterpillar the Category Tool [In reply to]

Hello Kalan

This already exists and is currently being beta-tested on the toolserver. If
would be very cool if you could build on top of this!

The backend consists of two components, graphcore and graphserv. WMDE contracted
Johannes Kroll to implement them based on my spec. The code is available an GitHub:

* https://github.com/jkroll20/graphcore
* https://github.com/jkroll20/graphserv

Documentation:

* https://github.com/jkroll20/graphcore/blob/master/README.rst
* https://github.com/jkroll20/graphserv/blob/master/doc/install.rst
* https://github.com/jkroll20/graphserv/blob/master/doc/usage.rst

You can see the original specs here:

* http://wikimedia.de/wiki/Ausschreibung/GraphServ/Spec

I have developed client libraries for this in Python and PHP:

* http://wikimedia.de/wiki/Ausschreibung/GraphServ/Spec

I have also started to implement a Web-API for accessing the category structure,
including a component for fetching updates from the wikipedia databases:

* https://svn.toolserver.org/svnroot/daniel/duesenstuff/trunk/CatGraph/

The API is online here, but the backend is frequently unavailable or gets reset
to an empty state:

* http://toolserver.org/~daniel/CatGraph/CatGraphApi.php

more info at http://toolserver.org/~daniel/CatGraph/help.html

SO, check it out, and see if you find something you can build with this!
-- daniel

PS: all of this is copyrighted by wikimedia germany and available under a free
license. If the licensing of any component is unclear, please let me know, i'll
fix it.

On 06.04.2012 17:11, Kalan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I present a proposal for a system that is going to solve the category
> intersection problem (and, in fact, allow all set-theory operations
> for categories). The name I suggest for it is “Caterpillar”.
>
> Such a system would consist of a C or C++ backend daemon that stores
> all the category graph in RAM and MediaWiki extension frontend.
>
> Here is the full text of the proposal:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Kalan/gsoc
>
> I am seeking for an interested mentor.
>
> — Kalan

maarten at mdammers

Re: GSoC: Caterpillar the Category Tool [In reply to]

HI Kalan,

You might want to read
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Multichill/Next_generation_categories

Maarten