GSOC - Green SMW

nischayn22 at gmail

GSOC - Green SMW

Hi,

I am participating in GSOC'12 with my proposal for Green SMW [1].
This proposal is about reducing the carbon footprint of SMW , in other
words it will enhance the performance of SMW significantly.
All the details are on [1], suggestions to improve or comments are most
welcome.

I have also been contributing to MW with my new Extension:AllTimeZones [2],
comments to that are welcomed as well.
My other contributions to MW are listed here [3].

[1]www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Nischayn22/Gsoc
[2]www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AllTimeZones
[3]www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Nischayn22

--
With Regards

Nischay Nahata
B.tech 3rd year
Department of Information Technology
NITK,Surathkal

gregory.varnum at gmail

Re: GSOC - Green SMW [In reply to]

I'll admit - I'm intrigued by the notion of carbon footprint reduction via software enhancements.. :)

I appreciate that you've concisely provided background on the what and how. I'm curious if you can expand a tad more on the why. To many the notion of energy conservation is very familiar - but in all fairness - I've suggested to others that they not assume everyone will know as much as they do - so a bit more info there wouldn't hurt.

You've been in IRC actively - so you're aware of that resource.

Same comment to SMW folks as Flickr folks - contemplate each other's proposals and be mindful of any overlap and the stated criteria like quality of apps, etc. Might not be a bad idea to see what others are proposing. :)

-greg aka varnent

On Apr 4, 2012, at 12:33 AM, nischay nahata <nischayn22 [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am participating in GSOC'12 with my proposal for Green SMW [1].
> This proposal is about reducing the carbon footprint of SMW , in other
> words it will enhance the performance of SMW significantly.
> All the details are on [1], suggestions to improve or comments are most
> welcome.
>
> I have also been contributing to MW with my new Extension:AllTimeZones [2],
> comments to that are welcomed as well.
> My other contributions to MW are listed here [3].
>

> [1]www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Nischayn22/Gsoc
> [2]www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AllTimeZones
> [3]www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Nischayn22
>
> --
> With Regards
>
> Nischay Nahata
> B.tech 3rd year
> Department of Information Technology
> NITK,Surathkal

markus at semantic-mediawiki

Re: GSOC - Green SMW [In reply to]

On 04/04/12 06:01, Gregory Varnum wrote:
> I'll admit - I'm intrigued by the notion of carbon footprint reduction via software enhancements.. :)
>
> I appreciate that you've concisely provided background on the what and how. I'm curious if you can expand a tad more on the why. To many the notion of energy conservation is very familiar - but in all fairness - I've suggested to others that they not assume everyone will know as much as they do - so a bit more info there wouldn't hurt.

The title "Green SMW" should not lead to wrong expectations. The goal of
this project is to address a number of long-standing performance issues
in various components. The tasks are based on concrete problem reports
we got from various SMW users. Is this what you mean with the "why"? The
goal is to take a more general perspective in "Green SMW" and to not
optimize for one use-case only, but to address known architectural
weaknesses that are causing these issues.

> You've been in IRC actively - so you're aware of that resource.
>
> Same comment to SMW folks as Flickr folks - contemplate each other's proposals and be mindful of any overlap and the stated criteria like quality of apps, etc. Might not be a bad idea to see what others are proposing. :)

I am not sure I know what you are referring to. I don't see
Flickr-related projects that are similar to this project. We should of
course be careful with overlaps, but I cannot see any issue there right
now. Or maybe you meant something else?

Markus

> On Apr 4, 2012, at 12:33 AM, nischay nahata<nischayn22 [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am participating in GSOC'12 with my proposal for Green SMW [1].
>> This proposal is about reducing the carbon footprint of SMW , in other
>> words it will enhance the performance of SMW significantly.
>> All the details are on [1], suggestions to improve or comments are most
>> welcome.
>>
>> I have also been contributing to MW with my new Extension:AllTimeZones [2],
>> comments to that are welcomed as well.
>> My other contributions to MW are listed here [3].
>>

>> [1]www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Nischayn22/Gsoc
>> [2]www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AllTimeZones
>> [3]www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Nischayn22
>>
>> --
>> With Regards
>>
>> Nischay Nahata
>> B.tech 3rd year
>> Department of Information Technology
>> NITK,Surathkal

gregory.varnum at gmail

Re: GSOC - Green SMW [In reply to]

I was more referencing that like the Flickr applications - we have a case of multiple students proposing projects around similar topics. I'm not discouraging that by any means - just being transparent with folks to be mindful that we have a limited number of spots given to us by Google - so all of them being SMW related or Flickr related is unlikely. In others words, the competition for you is higher if you're proposing an idea in a similar topic area as other students. That shows that there are needs in those areas - certainly - which helps - but..well..hopefully you get what I'm trying to convey. :) I just don't want people surprised if one SMW proposal is accepted and theirs is not.

Oy - I love GSOC but the whole competition part makes me sad. :)

-greg

Re: GSOC - Green SMW [In reply to]

On 05/04/12 19:49, Gregory Varnum wrote:

> Oy - I love GSOC but the whole competition part makes me sad. :)

Yes, and I think you are actually right with your observation (in a
way). Sumana has pointed out that there are no topic conflicts for
SMW-applications so far, but there are resource conflicts on other
levels: we will have to limit the number of projects to ensure that
there are enough dedicated mentors for each project. So even different
projects can be mutually exclusive. This is still a bit sad, but I would
rather do this than have insufficient guidance for the students.

Markus

> On Apr 5, 2012, at 4:41 AM, Markus Krötzsch<markus [at] semantic-mediawiki> wrote:
>
>> On 04/04/12 06:01, Gregory Varnum wrote:
>>> I'll admit - I'm intrigued by the notion of carbon footprint reduction via software enhancements.. :)
>>>
>>> I appreciate that you've concisely provided background on the what and how. I'm curious if you can expand a tad more on the why. To many the notion of energy conservation is very familiar - but in all fairness - I've suggested to others that they not assume everyone will know as much as they do - so a bit more info there wouldn't hurt.
>>
>> The title "Green SMW" should not lead to wrong expectations. The goal of this project is to address a number of long-standing performance issues in various components. The tasks are based on concrete problem reports we got from various SMW users. Is this what you mean with the "why"? The goal is to take a more general perspective in "Green SMW" and to not optimize for one use-case only, but to address known architectural weaknesses that are causing these issues.
>>

>>> You've been in IRC actively - so you're aware of that resource.
>>>
>>> Same comment to SMW folks as Flickr folks - contemplate each other's proposals and be mindful of any overlap and the stated criteria like quality of apps, etc. Might not be a bad idea to see what others are proposing. :)
>>
>> I am not sure I know what you are referring to. I don't see Flickr-related projects that are similar to this project. We should of course be careful with overlaps, but I cannot see any issue there right now. Or maybe you meant something else?
>>
>> Markus

nischayn22 at gmail

Re: GSOC - Green SMW [In reply to]

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I hope it will be useful to you (if got selected).
Could you please link to your site?

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Thomas Fellows <thomas.fellows [at] gmail>wrote:

> Hey Nischay!
>
> Really excited about your proposal - we use an incredibly large SMW
> instance (something like 36million pages, ~167805989 triples and another
> 30mil coordinates). As you might expect, it doesn't really work. Granted,
> we haven't moved to a triple store yet, but after the work you're doing we
> might have a chance to take another look at it. Good luck!
>
> -Tom.
>
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 12:33 AM, nischay nahata <nischayn22 [at] gmail>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am participating in GSOC'12 with my proposal for Green SMW [1].
>> This proposal is about reducing the carbon footprint of SMW , in other
>> words it will enhance the performance of SMW significantly.
>> All the details are on [1], suggestions to improve or comments are most
>> welcome.
>>
>> I have also been contributing to MW with my new Extension:AllTimeZones
>> [2],
>> comments to that are welcomed as well.
>> My other contributions to MW are listed here [3].
>>

>> [1]www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Nischayn22/Gsoc
>> [2]www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AllTimeZones
>> [3]www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Nischayn22
>>
>> --
>> With Regards
>>
>> Nischay Nahata
>> B.tech 3rd year
>> Department of Information Technology
>> NITK,Surathkal

With Regards

Nischay Nahata
B.tech 3rd year
Department of Information Technology
NITK,Surathkal

thomas.fellows at gmail

Re: GSOC - Green SMW [In reply to]

Hey!

Our wiki is currently not public facing, sitting behind a firewall. Let me
know if there is any way we can help.

-Tom