git commit message guide lines

hashar+wmf at free

Mar 28, 2012, 11:06 AM

Post #1 of 1 (110 views)
git commit message guide lines

With the switch to git and Gerrit, we should start formatting our commit
message. Over the last days, you might have noticed I have amended a few
changes in mediawiki/core.git.

Both git and gerrit use the first line of a message as a summary of the
commit which is probably more human friendly than a sha1.

In Gerrit it is used when referring to a parent commit and as a subject
for email notifications.
In git it is very helpful when using `log --oneline` or cherry-picking a
commit, or rebasing interactively.

Inspired by various online resources, I have started writing guidelines
and even provided some screen captures:

Edits welcome :-D

See also:

Antoine "hashar" Musso