Replying to gerrit comments

greg at endpoint

Mar 28, 2012, 8:54 AM

Replying to gerrit comments

What's the standard way to reply to a comment someone has made
to one of your commits? Nothing was obvious in the interface, so
I just did a "Review" with a score of 0 (obviously :). Drawbacks
to this way:

* It really shouldn't be giving me the option to +1 my own commit
* I now show up as a reviewer, which is odd
* It calls up a new page, so I cannot see the comment I am replying to

Not a big deal, but I am wondering if there is a better way.

--
Greg Sabino Mullane greg [at] endpoint
End Point Corporation
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8

jeroendedauw at gmail

Mar 28, 2012, 9:13 AM

Re: Replying to gerrit comments [In reply to]

Hey,

>Not a big deal

I disagree. This workflow is horrible. I have to open a new window to see
what I am replying to. Seriously?!! This wasts peoples time...

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw
http://www.bn2vs.com

roan.kattouw at gmail

Mar 28, 2012, 9:19 AM

Re: Replying to gerrit comments [In reply to]

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg [at] endpoint> wrote:
> What's the standard way to reply to a comment someone has made
> to one of your commits? Nothing was obvious in the interface, so
> I just did a "Review" with a score of 0 (obviously :). Drawbacks
> to this way:
>
> * It really shouldn't be giving me the option to +1 my own commit
> * I now show up as a reviewer, which is odd
> * It calls up a new page, so I cannot see the comment I am replying to
>
> Not a big deal, but I am wondering if there is a better way.

It's very strange, but yes, this is the standard way. And Jeroen is
right, it sucks that you can't see what you're replying to. Having an
AJAX interface here would be nice (inline comments do have this).

Roan

hashar+wmf at free

Mar 28, 2012, 9:23 AM

Re: Replying to gerrit comments [In reply to]

Le 28/03/12 17:54, Greg Sabino Mullane a écrit :
> What's the standard way to reply to a comment someone has made
> to one of your commits? Nothing was obvious in the interface, so
> I just did a "Review" with a score of 0 (obviously :). Drawbacks
> to this way:
>
> * It really shouldn't be giving me the option to +1 my own commit
> * I now show up as a reviewer, which is odd
> * It calls up a new page, so I cannot see the comment I am replying to
>
> Not a big deal, but I am wondering if there is a better way.

The reason you show up as a reviewer of your "own" patchset is that
people will amend it and you will have to review changes made to your
original code. That also explain why you are allowed to +1 on a change
you have created.

Spelled differently, consider anything you push to Gerrit is no more
your but instead a gift to the community. You will have the
responsibility to have it reviewed and follow up on reviews.

The way Gerrit work, people are supposed to write their comments
directly inside the files differences where you can reply and be really
precise as to which area of the code you comment on (just click a line).
The textarea below the patchsets list is just about introducing all the
comments you did in the various files. Hence the "Cover message:" label.

In conclusion, that is not a forum like we used to have on
Special:CodeReview. I believe serious issues should be bring back to
wikitech-l for further discussion or the bug report if there is any.

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

innocentkiller at gmail

Mar 28, 2012, 7:39 PM

Re: Replying to gerrit comments [In reply to]

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg [at] endpoint> wrote:
> * It really shouldn't be giving me the option to +1 my own commit

This is gerrit issue 308[0], and one that I'd really like to see fixed.
Commenting on your own code is perfectly fine--you have to have
a chance to respond to criticism. However I find the ability to +1
yourself confusing/useless as best and +2's of your own code to
be actively harmful (except in emergency/site-ops type stuff) since
it basically ducks the review process.

-1/-2 of your own code is useful--it's great for "This is a work in
progress, please do not merge yet but I'd like feedback"

-Chad

[0] http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=308

tstarling at wikimedia

Mar 28, 2012, 8:29 PM

Re: Replying to gerrit comments [In reply to]

On 29/03/12 03:19, Roan Kattouw wrote:
> It's very strange, but yes, this is the standard way. And Jeroen is
> right, it sucks that you can't see what you're replying to. Having an
> AJAX interface here would be nice (inline comments do have this).

A minor nitpick: the whole of the Gerrit web UI is AJAX (or at least
AJAJ). For example, when you ask for a change list, the HTML is built
on the client side from a JSON response that looks a bit like this:

http://paste.tstarling.com/p/TymHnr.html

I guess we'll have to think of some other term for a usable web UI.

-- Tim Starling

hashar+wmf at free

Mar 29, 2012, 5:49 AM

Re: Replying to gerrit comments [In reply to]

On 29/03/12 04:39, Chad wrote:
<snip>
> -1/-2 of your own code is useful--it's great for "This is a work in
> progress, please do not merge yet but I'd like feedback"

-2 it to be sure since it put a nice red cross ;-D

With Gerrit 2.3, we will be able to submit draft changes to polish them
before final submission as a change. That would be some kind of staging
area perfectly suited for gathering feedback.

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso