I'd prefer that you didn't submit this

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Wikipedia wikitech RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

innocentkiller at gmail

Mar 28, 2012, 6:10 AM

I'd prefer that you didn't submit this

Hi everyone,

There's been some comments that the phrasing for a -1 vote in
Gerrit ("I'd prefer that you didn't submit this") is kind of personal
and we can do better.

I did some testing and this is totally configurable :) It won't change
for old comments that were already submitted, but we can pick
some nicer wording going forward.

I really don't have any good suggestions for this, so I'm opening
this up to the list for a bit of good old fashioned bikeshedding.

Thanks!

-Chad

benapetr at gmail

Mar 28, 2012, 6:17 AM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

* I found a problem in this revision

* There is a problem in this revision

* Thank you for submitting your revision, but there is some error in your code

Some suggestions :)

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> There's been some comments that the phrasing for a -1 vote in
> Gerrit ("I'd prefer that you didn't submit this") is kind of personal
> and we can do better.
>
> I did some testing and this is totally configurable :) It won't change
> for old comments that were already submitted, but we can pick
> some nicer wording going forward.
>
> I really don't have any good suggestions for this, so I'm opening
> this up to the list for a bit of good old fashioned bikeshedding.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Chad

vasilvv at gmail

Mar 28, 2012, 6:21 AM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

"This patch cannot be merged in the current state" or something like that.

梫vv

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> There's been some comments that the phrasing for a -1 vote in
> Gerrit ("I'd prefer that you didn't submit this") is kind of personal
> and we can do better.
>
> I did some testing and this is totally configurable :) It won't change
> for old comments that were already submitted, but we can pick
> some nicer wording going forward.
>
> I really don't have any good suggestions for this, so I'm opening
> this up to the list for a bit of good old fashioned bikeshedding.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Chad

jdlrobson at gmail

Mar 28, 2012, 6:22 AM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

+1 for There is a problem with this revision.
as it doesn't make use of any personal words like 'you' or 'i'

Maybe even append 'Please fix' to give an action to the sender.

e.g. There is a problem with this revision. Please fix.

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Petr Bena <benapetr [at] gmail> wrote:
> * I found a problem in this revision
>
> * There is a problem in this revision
>
> * Thank you for submitting your revision, but there is some error in your code
>
> Some suggestions :)
>
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> There's been some comments that the phrasing for a -1 vote in
>> Gerrit ("I'd prefer that you didn't submit this") is kind of personal
>> and we can do better.
>>
>> I did some testing and this is totally configurable :) It won't change
>> for old comments that were already submitted, but we can pick
>> some nicer wording going forward.
>>
>> I really don't have any good suggestions for this, so I'm opening
>> this up to the list for a bit of good old fashioned bikeshedding.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Chad

Jon Robson
http://jonrobson.me.uk
@rakugojon

amir.aharoni at mail

Mar 28, 2012, 6:24 AM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

I support the less personal wording, but "cannot" is more like -2.

-1 is more like "should not".

--
Amir Elisha Aharoni 路 讗指诪执讬专 讗直诇执讬砖讈指注 讗址讛植专讜止谞执讬
http://aharoni.wordpress.com

2012/3/28 Victor Vasiliev <vasilvv [at] gmail>:
> "This patch cannot be merged in the current state" or something like that.
>
> 鈥攙vv
>
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> There's been some comments that the phrasing for a -1 vote in
>> Gerrit ("I'd prefer that you didn't submit this") is kind of personal
>> and we can do better.
>>
>> I did some testing and this is totally configurable :) It won't change
>> for old comments that were already submitted, but we can pick
>> some nicer wording going forward.
>>
>> I really don't have any good suggestions for this, so I'm opening
>> this up to the list for a bit of good old fashioned bikeshedding.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Chad

hashar+wmf at free

Mar 28, 2012, 8:29 AM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

Le 28/03/12 15:10, Chad a 閏rit :
> There's been some comments that the phrasing for a -1 vote in
> Gerrit ("I'd prefer that you didn't submit this") is kind of personal
> and we can do better.

Better as make it even more personal ? :-D

My suggestion is:

"This patchset needs to be improved"

That sounds positive to me. At least improving something is probably
more of a reward than fixme.

Sometime, we might have a patch which is fine to merge but not perfect
yet, so I guess that case is covered by my suggestion.

A fun one would be:

"Much to learn you still have...my old padawan."

Would probably make a Yoda job in Jenkins just for that :-D

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

rmoen at wikimedia

Mar 28, 2012, 11:05 AM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

I agree. Having 'you' or 'i' makes the message personal when the focus
should remain on the commit itself.

+ 1
This patch needs improvement. | Needs improvement, this patch does. ( if
we go with the yoda job )

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Antoine Musso <hashar+wmf [at] free> wrote:

> Le 28/03/12 15:10, Chad a 閏rit :
> > There's been some comments that the phrasing for a -1 vote in
> > Gerrit ("I'd prefer that you didn't submit this") is kind of personal
> > and we can do better.
>
> Better as make it even more personal ? :-D
>
> My suggestion is:
>
> "This patchset needs to be improved"
>
> That sounds positive to me. At least improving something is probably
> more of a reward than fixme.
>
> Sometime, we might have a patch which is fine to merge but not perfect
> yet, so I guess that case is covered by my suggestion.
>

> A fun one would be:
>
> "Much to learn you still have...my old padawan."
>
> Would probably make a Yoda job in Jenkins just for that :-D
>

> --
> Antoine "hashar" Musso

Rob Moen
Wikimedia Foundation
rmoen [at] wikimedia

innocentkiller at gmail

Mar 29, 2012, 6:20 AM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Rob Moen <rmoen [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> I agree. 聽Having 'you' or 'i' makes the message personal when the focus
> should remain on the commit itself.
>
> + 1
> This patch needs improvement. 聽| 聽Needs improvement, this patch does. 聽( if
> we go with the yoda job )

I've combined a little bit of everyone's suggestions so far (other than Yoda).

How does "There is a problem with this patchset, please fix" sound?

-Chad

sumanah at wikimedia

Mar 29, 2012, 6:30 AM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

On 03/29/2012 09:20 AM, Chad wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Rob Moen <rmoen [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>> I agree. Having 'you' or 'i' makes the message personal when the focus
>> should remain on the commit itself.
>>
>> + 1
>> This patch needs improvement. | Needs improvement, this patch does. ( if
>> we go with the yoda job )
>>

> I've combined a little bit of everyone's suggestions so far (other than Yoda).
>
> How does "There is a problem with this patchset, please fix" sound?
>
> -Chad

Sounds good to me.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator

amir.aharoni at mail

Mar 29, 2012, 6:32 AM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

2012/3/29 Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail>:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Rob Moen <rmoen [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>> I agree. 聽Having 'you' or 'i' makes the message personal when the focus
>> should remain on the commit itself.
>>
>> + 1
>> This patch needs improvement. 聽| 聽Needs improvement, this patch does. 聽( if
>> we go with the yoda job )
>>

> I've combined a little bit of everyone's suggestions so far (other than Yoda).
>
> How does "There is a problem with this patchset, please fix" sound?

Better: please fix it.

Or: please improve it.

--
Amir Elisha Aharoni 路 讗指诪执讬专 讗直诇执讬砖讈指注 讗址讛植专讜止谞执讬
http://aharoni.wordpress.com
鈥淲e're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.鈥 鈥 T. Moore鈥

benapetr at gmail

Mar 29, 2012, 6:34 AM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

It sounds better. Shame on your that you don't like Yoda

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Rob Moen <rmoen [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>> I agree. 燞aving 'you' or 'i' makes the message personal when the focus
>> should remain on the commit itself.
>>
>> + 1
>> This patch needs improvement. 爘 燦eeds improvement, this patch does. ( if
>> we go with the yoda job )
>>

> I've combined a little bit of everyone's suggestions so far (other than Yoda).
>
> How does "There is a problem with this patchset, please fix" sound?
>
> -Chad

jrobson at wikimedia

Mar 29, 2012, 6:42 AM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

+1 for There is a problem with this patchset, please improve.

Fix suggests you've broken something
(Yoda version would be Problem to be improved with this patchset there
is.) Does Gerrit support a yoda speak language... would make reviewing
even more fun ;-)?

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Petr Bena <benapetr [at] gmail> wrote:
> It sounds better. Shame on your that you don't like Yoda
>
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Rob Moen <rmoen [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>>> I agree. 燞aving 'you' or 'i' makes the message personal when the focus
>>> should remain on the commit itself.
>>>
>>> + 1
>>> This patch needs improvement. 爘 燦eeds improvement, this patch does. ( if
>>> we go with the yoda job )
>>>

>> I've combined a little bit of everyone's suggestions so far (other than Yoda).
>>
>> How does "There is a problem with this patchset, please fix" sound?
>>
>> -Chad

innocentkiller at gmail

Mar 29, 2012, 7:07 AM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Jon Robson <jrobson [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> +1 for There is a problem with this patchset, please improve.

Alright, sounds good to me. Thanks for the input everyone.
I'll get this fixed soon.

-Chad

krinklemail at gmail

Mar 29, 2012, 2:23 PM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

+1 for "There is a problem with this patchset"

(without ", please improve").

I think that keeps it more neutral without saying anything the user doesn't
intend to say. It also keeps free ambiguity in the intention (to be disambiguated
in a comment) between 'wontfix' and 'fixme'.

-- Krinkle

On Mar 29, 2012, at 4:07 PM, Chad wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Jon Robson <jrobson [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>> +1 for There is a problem with this patchset, please improve.
>>

> Alright, sounds good to me. Thanks for the input everyone.
> I'll get this fixed soon.
>
> -Chad

roan.kattouw at gmail

Mar 29, 2012, 2:24 PM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 7:07 AM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Jon Robson <jrobson [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>> +1 for There is a problem with this patchset, please improve.
>>

> Alright, sounds good to me. Thanks for the input everyone.
> I'll get this fixed soon.

This was done about an hour ago. Chad made the change and I restarted Gerrit.

The text was changed to "There's a problem with this change, please
improve" to get it to fit in the 50-character DB field.

Roan

tstarling at wikimedia

Mar 29, 2012, 5:24 PM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

On 29/03/12 00:10, Chad wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> There's been some comments that the phrasing for a -1 vote in
> Gerrit ("I'd prefer that you didn't submit this") is kind of personal
> and we can do better.
>
> I did some testing and this is totally configurable :) It won't change
> for old comments that were already submitted, but we can pick
> some nicer wording going forward.
>
> I really don't have any good suggestions for this, so I'm opening
> this up to the list for a bit of good old fashioned bikeshedding.

I don't really want Gerrit putting words into my mouth regardless of
how nice they sound. There will always be cases where the phrase is
inappropriate and offputting, regardless of which one you choose.

How about "Set code review score to -1"? Then a more personal message
can be typed by the human doing the review.

-- Tim Starling

tparscal at wikimedia

Mar 29, 2012, 11:10 PM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

No offense to those who have chimed in, but seriously, this is a silly
discussion.

Do we really have the bandwidth to be 15 messages deep on this thread?

- Trevor

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Tim Starling <tstarling [at] wikimedia>wrote:

> On 29/03/12 00:10, Chad wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > There's been some comments that the phrasing for a -1 vote in
> > Gerrit ("I'd prefer that you didn't submit this") is kind of personal
> > and we can do better.
> >
> > I did some testing and this is totally configurable :) It won't change
> > for old comments that were already submitted, but we can pick
> > some nicer wording going forward.
> >
> > I really don't have any good suggestions for this, so I'm opening
> > this up to the list for a bit of good old fashioned bikeshedding.
>
> I don't really want Gerrit putting words into my mouth regardless of
> how nice they sound. There will always be cases where the phrase is
> inappropriate and offputting, regardless of which one you choose.
>
> How about "Set code review score to -1"? Then a more personal message
> can be typed by the human doing the review.
>
> -- Tim Starling

tstarling at wikimedia

Mar 30, 2012, 2:24 AM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

"The doctrine of toleration requires a positive as well as a negative
statement. It is not only wrong to burn a man on account of his creed,
but it is right to encourage the open avowal and defence of every
opinion sincerely maintained. Every man who says frankly and fully
what he thinks is so far doing a public service."

Leslie Stephen in The Nineteenth Century, via Wikiquote.

On 30/03/12 17:10, Trevor Parscal wrote:
> No offense to those who have chimed in, but seriously, this is a silly
> discussion.
>
> Do we really have the bandwidth to be 15 messages deep on this thread?
>
> - Trevor
>
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Tim Starling <tstarling [at] wikimedia>wrote:
>
>> On 29/03/12 00:10, Chad wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> There's been some comments that the phrasing for a -1 vote in
>>> Gerrit ("I'd prefer that you didn't submit this") is kind of personal
>>> and we can do better.
>>>
>>> I did some testing and this is totally configurable :) It won't change
>>> for old comments that were already submitted, but we can pick
>>> some nicer wording going forward.
>>>
>>> I really don't have any good suggestions for this, so I'm opening
>>> this up to the list for a bit of good old fashioned bikeshedding.
>>
>> I don't really want Gerrit putting words into my mouth regardless of
>> how nice they sound. There will always be cases where the phrase is
>> inappropriate and offputting, regardless of which one you choose.
>>
>> How about "Set code review score to -1"? Then a more personal message
>> can be typed by the human doing the review.
>>
>> -- Tim Starling

benapetr at gmail

Mar 30, 2012, 2:32 AM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

I disagree, the previous message would sound really bit offensive to
people who submitted the patch, and is nothing motivating for the
volunteers who spend their time trying to help with the project.
Imagine you send a code to open source project in a good faith and get
the reply: I'd be more happy if you didn't put your nose in our code,
because that's exactly how the previous message appeared to me.

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 8:10 AM, Trevor Parscal <tparscal [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> No offense to those who have chimed in, but seriously, this is a silly
> discussion.
>
> Do we really have the bandwidth to be 15 messages deep on this thread?
>
> - Trevor
>
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Tim Starling <tstarling [at] wikimedia>wrote:
>
>> On 29/03/12 00:10, Chad wrote:
>> > Hi everyone,
>> >
>> > There's been some comments that the phrasing for a -1 vote in
>> > Gerrit ("I'd prefer that you didn't submit this") is kind of personal
>> > and we can do better.
>> >
>> > I did some testing and this is totally configurable :) It won't change
>> > for old comments that were already submitted, but we can pick
>> > some nicer wording going forward.
>> >
>> > I really don't have any good suggestions for this, so I'm opening
>> > this up to the list for a bit of good old fashioned bikeshedding.
>>
>> I don't really want Gerrit putting words into my mouth regardless of
>> how nice they sound. There will always be cases where the phrase is
>> inappropriate and offputting, regardless of which one you choose.
>>
>> How about "Set code review score to -1"? Then a more personal message
>> can be typed by the human doing the review.
>>
>> -- Tim Starling

innocentkiller at gmail

Mar 30, 2012, 4:18 AM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 2:10 AM, Trevor Parscal <tparscal [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> No offense to those who have chimed in, but seriously, this is a silly
> discussion.

I personally don't care what it says (the development version currently
says THIS IS THE WORST PATCH EVER!!!). I was fine with "I'd prefer
you didn't submit this" too.

Other people seem to disagree and think its important, and it's a 1 minute
change.

-Chad

innocentkiller at gmail

Mar 30, 2012, 4:21 AM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:24 PM, Tim Starling <tstarling [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> I don't really want Gerrit putting words into my mouth regardless of
> how nice they sound. There will always be cases where the phrase is
> inappropriate and offputting, regardless of which one you choose.
>
> How about "Set code review score to -1"? Then a more personal message
> can be typed by the human doing the review.

That doesn't work well the other terms. If you look at the list, they're
all talking about the change.

- This looks good to me, approved
- Looks good to me, but someone else must approve
- Set code review score to -1
- Do not submit

*sings* One of these is not like the others...unless you're
suggesting we change all of them to "Set code review score
to +2," etc.

-Chad

hashar+wmf at free

Mar 30, 2012, 4:56 AM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

Le 30/03/12 13:18, Chad a wrote :
> THIS IS THE WORST PATCH EVER!!!

Does it automatically abandon the previous nominee? That would great to
have since we will be guaranteed to only have one bad patch at any time.

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

hashar+wmf at free

Mar 30, 2012, 4:58 AM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

Le 30/03/12 08:10, Trevor Parscal a 閏rit :
> No offense to those who have chimed in, but seriously, this is a silly
> discussion.

I guess that is how our community has always ran. That is very much
alike the diff colors drama we had when deploying 1.19 on enwiki.

> Do we really have the bandwidth to be 15 messages deep on this thread?

Bandwith is cheap nowadays :-D

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

innocentkiller at gmail

Mar 30, 2012, 5:14 AM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Antoine Musso <hashar+wmf [at] free> wrote:
> Le 30/03/12 08:10, Trevor Parscal a 茅crit :
>> No offense to those who have chimed in, but seriously, this is a silly
>> discussion.
>
> I guess that is how our community has always ran. That is very much
> alike the diff colors drama we had when deploying 1.19 on enwiki.

No, I really don't think these two events are alike at all.

But we're quickly digressing...

-Chad

krinklemail at gmail

Mar 30, 2012, 5:49 AM

Re: I'd prefer that you didn't submit this [In reply to]

On Mar 30, 2012, at 2:24 AM, Tim Starling wrote:

> On 29/03/12 00:10, Chad wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> There's been some comments that the phrasing for a -1 vote in
>> Gerrit ("I'd prefer that you didn't submit this") is kind of personal
>> and we can do better.
>>
>> I did some testing and this is totally configurable :) It won't change
>> for old comments that were already submitted, but we can pick
>> some nicer wording going forward.
>>
>> I really don't have any good suggestions for this, so I'm opening
>> this up to the list for a bit of good old fashioned bikeshedding.
>
> I don't really want Gerrit putting words into my mouth regardless of
> how nice they sound. There will always be cases where the phrase is
> inappropriate and offputting, regardless of which one you choose.
>
> How about "Set code review score to -1"? Then a more personal message
> can be typed by the human doing the review.
>
> -- Tim Starling

I couldn't agree more. So far all proposal make implications that sometimes
simply aren't appropriate. Either they leave no room for fixing it ("Don't
submit it"), or are too much foccused on fixing something small, but
implying the overal intention is wanted ("Needs improvement") etc. etc.

Just say what you want to say in a comment, the numbers don't add up and
are only a brief summary (also note that you can submit a different score
at anytime and it will replace your previous score).

Can we just set it to an empty string and let the numbers and hand-written
comment speak for themselves?

-- Krinkle