Git migration: documentation and short-term considerations

robla at wikimedia

Mar 21, 2012, 6:09 PM

Git migration: documentation and short-term considerations

Hi everyone,

Git day is upon us (actual cutover happened a few hours ago). Chad,
Antoine, Roan, Sumana and many others made a heroic effort to get this
pushed out while many of us were instead doing budget stuff (Sumana
gets bonus points for doing both budget stuff and Git stuff). My role
in this process: copy and paste this email out of Etherpad ;-)

Important documentation:

* https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git <- The hub
* Requesting an account (Git and Labs share account infrastructure):
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Labsconsole_accounts
* The list of repositories: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#admin,projects
* The list of extensions that have moved:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/mediawiki-extensions.txt
* How we're dealing with Gerrit project ownership:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/59681
(give us a day to set up the page/templates for requesting Gerrit
project ownership)

Since a lot of people are likely curious, now is a good time to talk
about what our deployment strategy is going to be in the short term,
and how this migration affects our plans moving forward.

In the short term, we're still deploying from 1.19wmf1 in SVN.
Therefore, things that need immediate deployment will need to be
manually merged back to the deployment branch (and all non-urgent
deployments should hang on until we finish the work here). We plan to
be a little more relaxed for this short period about things going
directly into 1.19wmf1. Deployment from fenari doesn't change yet.

We're currently planning security releases for 1.17, 1.18, and 1.19.
These will be released from git.

In the medium term, we plan to have far more frequent deployments,
starting as early as April 9. More in a separate email on the
subject.

Moving over the deployment process and ironing out the remaining
issues with our current migrated projects is Chad and Antoine's number
one priority right now, so there should be significant continuing
progress on this over the next several days. General workflow issues
are Chad's responsibility. The work to support Translatewiki is well
underway, and Antoine is taking the lead with that.

Thanks for your patience with this move. We hope you enjoy working
with Git (or, if you're currently a skeptic, at least come to
appreciate it). With the combination of Git and the workflow changes
it enables, we're pretty excited by our new ability to deploy code
more frequently, and we're pretty optimistic that we'll be able to
actually get that benefit sooner rather than later.

Rob (and Chad, and Sumana)

tfinc at wikimedia

Mar 21, 2012, 7:13 PM

Re: Git migration: documentation and short-term considerations [In reply to]

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Rob Lanphier <robla [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> [...]
> Thanks for your patience with this move. We hope you enjoy working
> with Git (or, if you're currently a skeptic, at least come to
> appreciate it). With the combination of Git and the workflow changes
> it enables, we're pretty excited by our new ability to deploy code
> more frequently, and we're pretty optimistic that we'll be able to
> actually get that benefit sooner rather than later.

Thanks team. This has been a long time and coming.

Heads up that if your svn and labs account names don't match then things
might be broken for you as they are for me. I'll mail out when my account
issues are resolved.

--tomasz

rlane32 at gmail

Mar 21, 2012, 9:26 PM

Re: Git migration: documentation and short-term considerations [In reply to]

> Thanks team. This has been a long time and coming.
>
> Heads up that if your svn and labs account names don't match then things
> might be broken for you as they are for me. I'll mail out when my account
> issues are resolved.

I'm confused by what you mean here. Is your shell account name in labs
not the same username that you used in SVN? If this is the case then
your account was not handled correctly.

The user you use to connect to Gerrit via ssh is the same one you used
with SVN. If it isn't, that needs to be fixed.

- Ryan

niklas.laxstrom at gmail

Mar 22, 2012, 12:28 AM

Re: Git migration: documentation and short-term considerations [In reply to]

On 22 March 2012 03:09, Rob Lanphier <robla [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> Thanks for your patience with this move.  We hope you enjoy working
> with Git (or, if you're currently a skeptic, at least come to
> appreciate it).  With the combination of Git and the workflow changes
> it enables, we're pretty excited by our new ability to deploy code
> more frequently, and we're pretty optimistic that we'll be able to
> actually get that benefit sooner rather than later.

Thank you. I still hate it very much and currently the benefits don't
justify the pain for me. My code review process is totally ruined:
* I don't get commit mails anymore (only from Translate)
* I have no clue what is happening anymore because of the above
* I have to do tens of clicks to just see the diff (this will
certainly reduce the code review I will do to anything else but my own
pet projects like Translate extension)
* When the diff was included in the emails, I could easily scan in an
hour in the morning all the new commits, review the easy ones, add the
other important ones to the queue and be happy knowing that I didn't
miss anything.

-Niklas

PS: Please publish widely the recommended way to setup MediaWiki with
mixed git/svn extensions and how to keep them updated with single
command that is as easy as svn up.

--
Niklas Laxström

tfinc at wikimedia

Mar 22, 2012, 12:54 AM

Re: Git migration: documentation and short-term considerations [In reply to]

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Ryan Lane <rlane32 [at] gmail> wrote:

> > Thanks team. This has been a long time and coming.
> >
> > Heads up that if your svn and labs account names don't match then things
> > might be broken for you as they are for me. I'll mail out when my account
> > issues are resolved.
> >

> I'm confused by what you mean here. Is your shell account name in labs
> not the same username that you used in SVN? If this is the case then
> your account was not handled correctly.

Here is my situation

labs shell account == svn account
labs shell account != labs console/gerrit account

After talking with RobLA he mentioned that the second case could be causing
me to not be able to clone over ssh.

The user you use to connect to Gerrit via ssh is the same one you used
> with SVN. If it isn't, that needs to be fixed.

Well whats bizarre is that I can log into a labs instance over ssh just
fine. But a git ssh checkout of core fails with a permission denied message.

--tomasz

rlane32 at gmail

Mar 22, 2012, 1:07 AM

Re: Git migration: documentation and short-term considerations [In reply to]

> Here is my situation
>
> labs shell account == svn account
> labs shell account != labs console/gerrit account
>
> After talking with RobLA he mentioned that the second case could be causing
> me to not be able to clone over ssh.
>
> The user you use to connect to Gerrit via ssh is the same one you used
>> with SVN. If it isn't, that needs to be fixed.
>

> Well whats bizarre is that I can log into a labs instance over ssh just
> fine. But a git ssh checkout of core fails with a permission denied message.

This is resolved. Tomasz didn't have his key uploaded to Gerrit, but
did on labsconsole.

Gerrit and labsconsole don't currently share the same SSH key storage.
labsconsole stores keys in LDAP, while Gerrit stores keys in its own
database. We have a bug open with Gerrit to pull its keys from LDAP:

http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=1124

If we want this fixed, we'll likely need to do it ourselves, though.
If anyone knows Java, this is likely a fairly easy Gerrit bug to
fix...

- Ryan

jidanni at jidanni

Mar 22, 2012, 5:13 AM

Re: Git migration: documentation and short-term considerations [In reply to]

Some of us reading this might think that whereas with SVN we didn't need
an account, but with git we will.

hashar+wmf at free

Mar 22, 2012, 6:04 AM

Re: Git migration: documentation and short-term considerations [In reply to]

> We hope you enjoy working with Git (or, if you're currently a
> skeptic, at least come to appreciate it).

If not, I will be glad to convert you to the new git fellowship :)

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

innocentkiller at gmail

Mar 22, 2012, 6:49 AM

Re: Git migration: documentation and short-term considerations [In reply to]

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:13 AM, <jidanni [at] jidanni> wrote:
> Some of us reading this might think that whereas with SVN we didn't need
> an account, but with git we will.

No, you can make anonymous clones over https as well.

-Chad

strainu10 at gmail

Mar 22, 2012, 8:24 AM

Re: Git migration: documentation and short-term considerations [In reply to]

În data de 22 martie 2012, 15:49, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> a scris:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:13 AM,  <jidanni [at] jidanni> wrote:
>> Some of us reading this might think that whereas with SVN we didn't need
>> an account, but with git we will.
>>

> No, you can make anonymous clones over https as well.

Hi,

From what I can see, not all the stuff that was in svn was migrated.
What will happen to the wiki media planet? Will it be kept in svn and
migrated later/not migrated at all?

Thanks,
Strainu

innocentkiller at gmail

Mar 22, 2012, 9:07 AM

Re: Git migration: documentation and short-term considerations [In reply to]

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Strainu <strainu10 [at] gmail> wrote:
> From what I can see, not all the stuff that was in svn was migrated.
> What will happen to the wiki media planet? Will it be kept in svn and
> migrated later/not migrated at all?

That's correct--not everything has been migrated over yet.

Specifically about planet: that was moved over to the puppet
repo a couple of weeks ago.

-Chad

sumanah at wikimedia

Mar 22, 2012, 9:09 AM

Re: Git migration: documentation and short-term considerations [In reply to]

On 03/22/2012 12:07 PM, Chad wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Strainu <strainu10 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> From what I can see, not all the stuff that was in svn was migrated.
>> What will happen to the wiki media planet? Will it be kept in svn and
>> migrated later/not migrated at all?
>>

> That's correct--not everything has been migrated over yet.
>
> Specifically about planet: that was moved over to the puppet
> repo a couple of weeks ago.
>
> -Chad

Some more details on that:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Conversion#Affected_development_projects

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator

strainu10 at gmail

Mar 23, 2012, 3:42 AM

Re: Git migration: documentation and short-term considerations [In reply to]

În data de 22 martie 2012, 18:09, Sumana Harihareswara
<sumanah [at] wikimedia> a scris:
> On 03/22/2012 12:07 PM, Chad wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Strainu <strainu10 [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> From what I can see, not all the stuff that was in svn was migrated.
>>> What will happen to the wiki media planet? Will it be kept in svn and
>>> migrated later/not migrated at all?
>>>

>> That's correct--not everything has been migrated over yet.
>>
>> Specifically about planet: that was moved over to the puppet
>> repo a couple of weeks ago.
>>
>> -Chad
>
> Some more details on that:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Conversion#Affected_development_projects

Thanks for your responses. What is still unclear for me (as maintainer
of one of the planets) after reading the workflow docs is if I need
to do anything else except get an account to be able to push patches
for review. Do I need to be member of a group or I can just clone the
repository, submit locally and then ask for a review?

Thanks,
Strainu

innocentkiller at gmail

Mar 23, 2012, 4:46 AM

Re: Git migration: documentation and short-term considerations [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Strainu <strainu10 [at] gmail> wrote:
> Thanks for your responses. What is still unclear for me (as maintainer
> of one of the planets)  after reading the workflow docs is if I need
> to do anything else except get an account to be able to push patches
> for review. Do I need to be member of a group or I can just clone the
> repository, submit locally and then ask for a review?

You shouldn't need to be in any special groups to push for review.
If you're getting any errors, please let me know and we'll figure
out what the problem is.

-Chad