Head's up: Fwd: WURFL licensing concerns and Git migration

monomium at gmail

Mar 20, 2012, 9:33 PM

Head's up: Fwd: WURFL licensing concerns and Git migration

Forwarded to legal.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kevin Israel
Date: Tuesday, March 20, 2012
Subject: [Wikitech-l] WURFL licensing concerns and Git migration
To: wikitech-l [at] lists

Our MobileFrontend extension, which is currently deployed on Wikimedia
sites, uses WURFL to detect the mobile devices it targets. However, I
recently became aware the version of the WURFL data files we use has a
rather restrictive license.

The license seems to suggest we are not even supposed to redistribute
verbatim copies or install the data files on multiple servers rather
than only making "[...] one copy [...]", if not merely fail to grant
such permission. Currently, the files are in our Subversion repository
and are going to end up in Git soon.

I am not a lawyer, and I realize this is probably a matter for the
Wikimedia Foundation to handle, albeit one of urgent importance to us.
If I am not mistaken, proper removal of infringing material from Git
repositories is somewhat painful in that it causes all child SHA-1
hashes to change, so I feel resolution of the above licensing concern
blocks Git migration of at least the MobileFrontend extension.

--
Wikipedia user PleaseStand
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:PleaseStand

Sent from my iPad

tfinc at wikimedia

Mar 21, 2012, 7:15 PM

Re: Head's up: Fwd: WURFL licensing concerns and Git migration [In reply to]

It's gone from the repot now.

--tomasz

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 9:33 PM, Mono <monomium [at] gmail> wrote:

> Forwarded to legal.

dvanliere at gmail

Mar 22, 2012, 12:03 PM

Re: Head's up: Fwd: WURFL licensing concerns and Git migration [In reply to]

Hi,

Kelly from the legal team has given me the following response:

Thanks for the email. I have read the license and the question and it
does appear to limit use to one copy. However, there is a means to
request an alternative license terms:
Organizations that intend to use this file or the data contained in it
commercially
or under different licensing terms should contact ScientiaMobile
(http://www.scientiamobile.com) to learn about licensing options for WURFL.

I would recommend we contact them and request the ability to make a
copy for our repository. I do not see a reason why they would not
grant it. We do not intend to use it for commercial purposes and this
is not even a public use.

I will coordinate this with Tomasz to explore our options.

Best,

Diederik