Code freeze and temporary reverts for Gerrit migration

roan.kattouw at gmail

Mar 20, 2012, 3:48 PM

Code freeze and temporary reverts for Gerrit migration

As you all probably know, the Gerrit migration is going to happen in a
little over 24 hours. For the SVN repositories being migrated (core
and all WMF-deployed extensions), I am doing three special things
today.

First, I am identifying all unreviewed revisions and reviewing those
that 1) I am capable of reviewing and 2) that I feel are small enough
and/or important enough to review.

Second, I am reverting all remaining unreviewed revisions and tagging
them with the 'gerritmigration' tag. These reverts are temporary, and
I will resubmit the reverted revisions into Gerrit after the
switchover. They will then have to go through the code review process
in Gerrit. It will be a bit weird and awkward to review so many
revisions, but this ensures that we can migrate to Gerrit with a clean
repository free of unreviewed code. I'll be doing these reverts in
logical chunks where possible, but I will eventually revert everything
that's unreviewed, so don't take it personally :) .

Third, I am declaring a code freeze effective immediately. It's not a
complete freeze, but stricter than the preceding slush (so maybe it's
froyo or something?). Essentially, the freeze means that as of right
now, we are pretty much going to do pre-commit review. If you want to
commit something between now and the Gerrit migration, you will need
to get your patch reviewed by someone *before* you commit it, and that
person will have to OK the revision in CodeReview shortly after it's
committed. I will periodically check the repository, and any new
commits that are unreviewed and have been sitting in the repo for more
than an hour will be reverted on sight, tagged with 'gerritmigration'
and resubmitted into Gerrit after the migration.

I realize that this is kind of a sudden and unilateral decree that I'm
imposing here, and I apologize for that. However, it's only for 24
hours and it's what needs to be done in order for the Gerrit migration
tomorrow to happen smoothly, so I hope you'll understand.

Roan

P.S.: Any help with the reviewing, reverting, tagging and/or
resubmitting revisions would be appreciated, but please find me on IRC
before you start helping me; if I am not on IRC, that means I'm not
working and you can go right ahead.

P.P.S.: Before anyone asks: in the (IMO unlikely) event that the
Gerrit migration doesn't happen tomorrow and is delayed to next week
or beyond, the code freeze automatically ends at 23:59 PDT (that's Mar
22, 07:59 UTC).

jeroendedauw at gmail

Mar 20, 2012, 4:08 PM

Re: Code freeze and temporary reverts for Gerrit migration [In reply to]

Hey,

> WMF-deployed extensions

Does this include extension worked on by WMF people and to be deployed on
WMF wikis? In particular, should I quit committing to Education Program or
can I happily carry on?

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw
http://www.bn2vs.com

roan.kattouw at gmail

Mar 20, 2012, 4:11 PM

Re: Code freeze and temporary reverts for Gerrit migration [In reply to]

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Jeroen De Dauw <jeroendedauw [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hey,
>
>> WMF-deployed extensions
>
> Does this include extension worked on by WMF people and to be deployed on
> WMF wikis? In particular, should I quit committing to Education Program or
> can I happily carry on?

This includes extensions that are *currently* deployed on WMF, no more
and no less. So EducationProgram is "safe" and you can happily
continue committing to it. However, I have temporarily reverted some
of the things you put in core to support EP, because they were largely
unreviewed and were new features rather than bug fixes (let alone
important/urgent bug fixes).

Roan

arichards at wikimedia

Mar 21, 2012, 3:52 PM

Re: Code freeze and temporary reverts for Gerrit migration [In reply to]

What are the current plans for migrating the wmf/1.19wmf1 branch to git?
And in the meantime... how should we merge changes for deployment?

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Roan Kattouw <roan.kattouw [at] gmail>wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Jeroen De Dauw <jeroendedauw [at] gmail>
> wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> >> WMF-deployed extensions
> >
> > Does this include extension worked on by WMF people and to be deployed on
> > WMF wikis? In particular, should I quit committing to Education Program
> or
> > can I happily carry on?
> >
> This includes extensions that are *currently* deployed on WMF, no more
> and no less. So EducationProgram is "safe" and you can happily
> continue committing to it. However, I have temporarily reverted some
> of the things you put in core to support EP, because they were largely
> unreviewed and were new features rather than bug fixes (let alone
> important/urgent bug fixes).
>
> Roan

Arthur Richards
Software Engineer, Mobile
[[User:Awjrichards]]
IRC: awjr
+1-415-839-6885 x6687

arichards at wikimedia

Mar 21, 2012, 3:52 PM

Re: Code freeze and temporary reverts for Gerrit migration [In reply to]

PS congrats on getting the extensions and core ported over :D

--
Arthur Richards
Software Engineer, Mobile

roan.kattouw at gmail

Mar 21, 2012, 6:01 PM

Re: Code freeze and temporary reverts for Gerrit migration [In reply to]

Now that the Git switchover is complete, this code freeze is lifted. SVN is
now locked as far as core and WMF-deployed extensions go, so you can't
commit there anymore. New commits for core and deployed extensions are
welcome in Gerrit, see also Chad's message.

As for the reverts: I ended up reverting 103 revisions, but I had tagged
many more. I was happy to see that dozens of revisions were reviewed
overnight last night (PDT), otherwise the number of reverts would have been
closer to 150. I am working on getting all the revisions I reverted
resubmitted into Gerrit. I have finished doing this for all 39 reverted
revisions in core, and I'll do extensions tonight or tomorrow. Each of
these resubmitted revisions was tagged with a topic like
resubmitted/123456, where 123456 is the original revision number in SVN.

Roan

maxsem.wiki at gmail

Mar 22, 2012, 1:22 AM

Re: Code freeze and temporary reverts for Gerrit migration [In reply to]

On 22.03.2012, 5:01 Roan wrote:

> Now that the Git switchover is complete, this code freeze is lifted. SVN is
> now locked as far as core and WMF-deployed extensions go, so you can't
> commit there anymore. New commits for core and deployed extensions are
> welcome in Gerrit, see also Chad's message.

> As for the reverts: I ended up reverting 103 revisions, but I had tagged
> many more. I was happy to see that dozens of revisions were reviewed
> overnight last night (PDT), otherwise the number of reverts would have been
> closer to 150. I am working on getting all the revisions I reverted
> resubmitted into Gerrit. I have finished doing this for all 39 reverted
> revisions in core, and I'll do extensions tonight or tomorrow. Each of
> these resubmitted revisions was tagged with a topic like
> resubmitted/123456, where 123456 is the original revision number in SVN.

Well done, Roan! Is there a way to join several related recommits in
Gerrit for easier review?

--
Best regards,
Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

hashar+wmf at free

Mar 22, 2012, 6:02 AM

Re: Code freeze and temporary reverts for Gerrit migration [In reply to]

Le 22/03/12 09:22, Max Semenik a écrit :
> Well done, Roan! Is there a way to join several related recommits in
> Gerrit for easier review?

You have to abandon Gerrit changes made up of svn followup. Then git
fetch all those changes and squash them in the leading change.

Probably not for the newcomers, but it is certainly doable and I already
handle a few of them this morning.

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

roan.kattouw at gmail

Mar 22, 2012, 9:04 AM

Re: Code freeze and temporary reverts for Gerrit migration [In reply to]

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Max Semenik <maxsem.wiki [at] gmail> wrote:
> Well done, Roan! Is there a way to join several related recommits in
> Gerrit for easier review?

Not really, unless you do what Antoine said (squash them together and resubmit).

Also note that some of the changes I submitted depend on each other.
For instance, if B was a followup of A, I have submitted them such
that B depends on A. Gerrit knows this and will not merge B, even if
it's approved, unless A is also approved and ready to be merged.

Roan