Mark Hershberger departing Wikimedia Foundation in May

robla at wikimedia

Mar 16, 2012, 10:31 AM

Mark Hershberger departing Wikimedia Foundation in May

Hi everyone,

I regret to inform you all that Mark Hershberger will be leaving the
Wikimedia Foundation at the end of May.

Mark started as a contractor at the beginning of 2010, helping the
Wikimedia Foundation with code review and the release process. He
developed an interest in our testing infrastructure, and was
responsible for some of the early work in phpUnit and Selenium
integration in our codebase. In early 2011, we reconceived his role
here at the Foundation, asking him to step into the role of
Bugmeister. During the past year and a half, Mark has undertaken the
daunting task of going through the mountainous backlog of bug reports
and patches, as well as the incoming stream of new bugs.
Additionally, he has pushed us to review our backlog of code review
through three deployments now.

Mark has been a passionate advocate for community developers, and
hasn't shied away from asking for what they need. He has been a
friendly and approachable representative for WMF; enthusiastic and
cheerful with everyone he deals with. Thank you, Mark, for setting
this example!

We plan to start recruiting for a new Bugmeister soon. I'll post more
details when I have them.

In the meantime, please join me in thanking Mark for his service to
the Wikimedia movement.

Rob

wikiposta at gmail

Mar 16, 2012, 12:01 PM

Re: Mark Hershberger departing Wikimedia Foundation in May [In reply to]

Mark, thanks for helping Wikipedia and good luck whereever you go!

--
Bináris

jamesmikedupont at googlemail

Mar 16, 2012, 12:06 PM

Re: Mark Hershberger departing Wikimedia Foundation in May [In reply to]

Yeah Mark, It was great to have worked with you, I am sorry that I did not
have more time for wikipedia myself,
but such is life.

mike

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Bináris <wikiposta [at] gmail> wrote:

> Mark, thanks for helping Wikipedia and good luck whereever you go!
>
> --
> Bináris

James Michael DuPont

raylton.sousa at gmail

Mar 16, 2012, 12:11 PM

Re: Mark Hershberger departing Wikimedia Foundation in May [In reply to]

He was always ready to ajudar to when I had a bummer to talk =D

I think hard to find someone with the power to put up with me =P

2012/3/16 Mike Dupont <jamesmikedupont [at] googlemail>

> Yeah Mark, It was great to have worked with you, I am sorry that I did not
> have more time for wikipedia myself,
> but such is life.
>
> mike
>
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Bináris <wikiposta [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> > Mark, thanks for helping Wikipedia and good luck whereever you go!
> >
> > --
> > Bináris

> James Michael DuPont
> Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://flossk.org

raylton.sousa at gmail

Mar 16, 2012, 12:13 PM

Re: Mark Hershberger departing Wikimedia Foundation in May [In reply to]

* ajudar = help (jajaja my portuguese)

2012/3/16 Raylton P. Sousa <raylton.sousa [at] gmail>

> He was always ready to ajudar to when I had a bummer to talk =D
>
> I think hard to find someone with the power to put up with me =P
>
> 2012/3/16 Mike Dupont <jamesmikedupont [at] googlemail>
>
>> Yeah Mark, It was great to have worked with you, I am sorry that I did not
>> have more time for wikipedia myself,
>> but such is life.
>>
>> mike
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Bináris <wikiposta [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> > Mark, thanks for helping Wikipedia and good luck whereever you go!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Bináris
>> >

>> --
>> James Michael DuPont
>> Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://flossk.org

maxsem.wiki at gmail

Mar 16, 2012, 12:13 PM

Re: Mark Hershberger departing Wikimedia Foundation in May [In reply to]

On 16.03.2012, 21:31 Rob wrote:

> Hi everyone,

> I regret to inform you all that Mark Hershberger will be leaving the
> Wikimedia Foundation at the end of May.

Mark, thank you for everything - and may all your greener pastures be
evergreen!

--
Best regards,
Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

bawolff+wn at gmail

Mar 16, 2012, 12:50 PM

Mark Hershberger departing Wikimedia Foundation in May [In reply to]

> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 10:31:56 -0700
> From: Rob Lanphier <robla [at] wikimedia>
> To: Wikimedia developers <wikitech-l [at] lists>
> Subject: [Wikitech-l] Mark Hershberger departing Wikimedia Foundation
>       in May
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I regret to inform you all that Mark Hershberger will be leaving the
> Wikimedia Foundation at the end of May.
>
> Mark started as a contractor at the beginning of 2010, helping the
> Wikimedia Foundation with code review and the release process.  He
> developed an interest in our testing infrastructure, and was
> responsible for some of the early work in phpUnit and Selenium
> integration in our codebase.  In early 2011, we reconceived his role
> here at the Foundation, asking him to step into the role of
> Bugmeister.  During the past year and a half, Mark has undertaken the
> daunting task of going through the mountainous backlog of bug reports
> and patches, as well as the incoming stream of new bugs.
> Additionally, he has pushed us to review our backlog of code review
> through three deployments now.
>
> Mark has been a passionate advocate for community developers, and
> hasn't shied away from asking for what they need.  He has been a
> friendly and approachable representative for WMF; enthusiastic and
> cheerful with everyone he deals with.  Thank you, Mark, for setting
> this example!
>
> We plan to start recruiting for a new Bugmeister soon.  I'll post more
> details when I have them.
>
> In the meantime, please join me in thanking Mark for his service to
> the Wikimedia movement.
>
> Rob

:'(

You will be very deeply missed. I wish you the best of luck in
whatever you decide to do next.

-bawolff

rmoen at wikimedia

Mar 16, 2012, 1:02 PM

Re: Mark Hershberger departing Wikimedia Foundation in May [In reply to]

Mark, you rock! It was nice getting to know you these past few months.
Sad to see you go.

Take care man.

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Max Semenik <maxsem.wiki [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 16.03.2012, 21:31 Rob wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
>
> > I regret to inform you all that Mark Hershberger will be leaving the
> > Wikimedia Foundation at the end of May.
>
> Mark, thank you for everything - and may all your greener pastures be
> evergreen!
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

Rob Moen
Wikimedia Foundation
rmoen [at] wikimedia

benapetr at gmail

Mar 16, 2012, 4:01 PM

Re: Mark Hershberger departing Wikimedia Foundation in May [In reply to]

Hi all
I thought that his role must have been one of most boring like the walking
through a lot of various reports and trying to make some lazy developers to
fix them ;-) but i was surprised that when I started to work with him thas
the work we did was almost most entertaining experience I had on wikimedia
ever. Seriously I always felt like he is underappreciated for the hard work
he did. Thanks to Mark I got in contact with lot of awesome people inluding
himself and found that being a bugmeister is not a boring work but
important part of development process. Thanks for your hard work! I hope ur
not leaving the project definitely and stay at least as a volunteer who can
help us even if not so actively
On Mar 16, 2012 9:02 PM, "Rob Moen" <rmoen [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> Mark, you rock! It was nice getting to know you these past few months.
> Sad to see you go.
>
> Take care man.
>
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Max Semenik <maxsem.wiki [at] gmail>
> wrote:
>
> > On 16.03.2012, 21:31 Rob wrote:
> >
> > > Hi everyone,
> >
> > > I regret to inform you all that Mark Hershberger will be leaving the
> > > Wikimedia Foundation at the end of May.
> >
> > Mark, thank you for everything - and may all your greener pastures be
> > evergreen!
> >
> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

> Rob Moen
> Wikimedia Foundation
> rmoen [at] wikimedia

Platonides at gmail

Mar 16, 2012, 5:14 PM

Re: Mark Hershberger departing Wikimedia Foundation in May [In reply to]

On 16/03/12 21:02, Rob Moen wrote:
> Mark, you rock! It was nice getting to know you these past few months.
> Sad to see you go.
>
> Take care man.

We will miss you. It won't be easy to get a good bugmeister. Thanks for
your work, Mark.

Best wishes

Graf.Zahl at gmx

Mar 17, 2012, 3:14 AM

Re: Mark Hershberger departing Wikimedia Foundation in May [In reply to]

Am Freitag, 16. März 2012 schrieb Rob Lanphier:
> In the meantime, please join me in thanking Mark for his service to
> the Wikimedia movement.

Mark, thank you for helping me with the Score extension. I wish you the
best of success in your future projects!

Best regards,
Alexander

saper at saper

Mar 17, 2012, 7:11 AM

Re: Mark Hershberger departing Wikimedia Foundation in May [In reply to]

>> Petr Bena <benapetr [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi all
> I thought that his role must have been one of most boring like the walking
> through a lot of various reports and trying to make some lazy developers to
> fix them ;-) but i was surprised that when I started to work with him thas
> the work we did was almost most entertaining experience I had on wikimedia
> ever. Seriously I always felt like he is underappreciated for the hard work
> he did. Thanks to Mark I got in contact with lot of awesome people inluding
> himself and found that being a bugmeister is not a boring work but
> important part of development process. Thanks for your hard work! I hope ur
> not leaving the project definitely and stay at least as a volunteer who can
> help us even if not so actively

I fully agree. Mark turned this uninteresting job into something actually
motivating. No bug was too stupid to take care of it and research.
He also did some testing which was very helpful. I have to admit Mark's
work motivated me to do a bit more with MediaWiki!

//Saper

sumanah at wikimedia

Mar 18, 2012, 3:07 PM

Re: Mark Hershberger departing Wikimedia Foundation in May [In reply to]

On 03/16/2012 01:31 PM, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> Mark has been a passionate advocate for community developers, and
> hasn't shied away from asking for what they need. He has been a
> friendly and approachable representative for WMF; enthusiastic and
> cheerful with everyone he deals with. Thank you, Mark, for setting
> this example!

I second this strongly. Mark, you have our gratitude. You've always
had our community at the front of your thoughts and your heart. Thank you.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator

yuvipanda at gmail

Mar 18, 2012, 8:24 PM

Re: Mark Hershberger departing Wikimedia Foundation in May [In reply to]

Thanks hexmode, for helping make this community welcoming and awesome to me as a Volunteer dev.

--
Yuvi Panda

glaser at hallowelt

Mar 20, 2012, 10:49 AM

Re: Mark Hershberger departing Wikimedia Foundation in May [In reply to]

Thanks, Mark! You were one of my first contacts in the wmdev community and made me feel very welcome here.

Cheers, Markus