MathJax scalable math rendering update for 1.19

brion at pobox

Mar 7, 2012, 1:05 PM

MathJax scalable math rendering update for 1.19

In the last few days I've updated the Math extension's experimental MathJax
support to where it can actually be enabled by individual users. If all
goes well with review I'd love to get this deployed soon so the math-heads
can turn it on and check for lingering incompatibilities...

MathJax [http://www.mathjax.org/] is a client-side JavaScript library for
parsing TeX or MathML code and rendering it in just about any modern
browser -- it even works back to IE 6! -- using webfonts and HTML/CSS,
MathML, or SVG as available.

Here's a sample page on a test wiki, copied from en.wikipedia:
http://leuksman.com/mw/index.php/Alpha_compositing

This update to the extension builds on Nageh's work setting up an earlier
version of MathJax as a user script, plus some help from the MathJax devs
on their mailing list. Thanks guys!

Big advantages of this over our current server-side math rendering:
* font size & baseline match up with surrounding text for inline equations!
* subpixel antialiasing or high-dpi displays allow math to render more
sharply at default size
* scalable -- you can zoom in your browser and things stay sharp
* printable -- printed output also stays sharp (some browsers have font
issues with some modes; to be experimented with)
* in-browser zoom & copy-paste helpers

And of course:
* a strong open-source community maintaining it, who are happy to help us
with integration and any needed fixes
* it's not ocaml ;)

The additions to Math extension add a third 'MathJax' rendering mode which
users can opt in to at Special:Preferences. This replaces the older HTML
and MathML rendering modes that we already disabled in 1.19.

In the future when we've worked out the kinks, we can turn that into the
default, and continue to use it as a fallback renderer for non-JavaScript
browsers. (A nicer math edit/preview tool would be awesome too, especially
for confirming that things work in both renderers in the future!)

Revs that'll need to be reviewed & deployed:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/tag/mathjax

WikiProject:Mathematics talk page section:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Mathematics#mathJax_progress

-- brion

mail at tgries

Mar 7, 2012, 1:20 PM

Re: MathJax scalable math rendering update for 1.19 [In reply to]

Am 07.03.2012 22:05, schrieb Brion Vibber:
> In the last few days I've updated the Math extension's experimental MathJax
> support ...
>
> Here's a sample page on a test wiki, copied from en.wikipedia:
> http://leuksman.com/mw/index.php/Alpha_compositing

bravo !
Attachments: signature.asc (0.48 KB)

aschulz4587 at gmail

Mar 7, 2012, 6:06 PM

Re: MathJax scalable math rendering update for 1.19 [In reply to]

It would be uber sweet someday to kill the ocaml dependency.

mah at wikimedia

Mar 7, 2012, 6:31 PM

Re: MathJax scalable math rendering update for 1.19 [In reply to]

Brion Vibber <brion [at] pobox> writes:

> Here's a sample page on a test wiki, copied from en.wikipedia:
> http://leuksman.com/mw/index.php/Alpha_compositing

Beautiful.

hashar+wmf at free

Mar 8, 2012, 6:37 AM

Re: MathJax scalable math rendering update for 1.19 [In reply to]

Le 07/03/12 22:05, Brion Vibber a écrit :
> Here's a sample page on a test wiki, copied from en.wikipedia:
> http://leuksman.com/mw/index.php/Alpha_compositing

It even works in lynx by showing the latex source code. I just hope that
Jidanni knows LaTeX :-]

I specially like the zoom when you one click on a math expression. Makes
it really easier to read.

Well done Brion!

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

strainu10 at gmail

Mar 9, 2012, 1:48 AM

Re: MathJax scalable math rendering update for 1.19 [In reply to]

ơn data de 8 martie 2012, 04:31, Mark A. Hershberger
<mah [at] wikimedia> a scris:
> Brion Vibber <brion [at] pobox> writes:
>
>> Here's a sample page on a test wiki, copied from en.wikipedia:
>> http://leuksman.com/mw/index.php/Alpha_compositing
>
> Beautiful.

Yes, but... is it just me or it takes at least 5s to load the
formulas? I have a pretty decent computer, for people with
lower-performance hardware it could easily take dozens of seconds.

Strainu

brion at pobox

Mar 9, 2012, 10:48 AM

Re: MathJax scalable math rendering update for 1.19 [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Strainu <strainu10 [at] gmail> wrote:

> >> Here's a sample page on a test wiki, copied from en.wikipedia:
> >> http://leuksman.com/mw/index.php/Alpha_compositing
>
> Yes, but... is it just me or it takes at least 5s to load the
> formulas? I have a pretty decent computer, for people with
> lower-performance hardware it could easily take dozens of seconds.

For a large page with a lot of equations it can take a little while to
finish them all; but in my experience so far, usually by the time I'm
scrolling down it's done.

-- brion

erik at wikimedia

Re: MathJax scalable math rendering update for 1.19 [In reply to]

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Brion Vibber <brion [at] pobox> wrote:
> In the last few days I've updated the Math extension's experimental MathJax
> support to where it can actually be enabled by individual users. If all
> goes well with review I'd love to get this deployed soon so the math-heads
> can turn it on and check for lingering incompatibilities...

I notice that this has been deployed with 1.20wmf1 to wikis that have
it, but is disabled. Do you feel confident enough in the code at this
time that we could set $wgUseMathJax=true for mediawiki.org and invite
some more testing there?
--
Erik Möller

brion at pobox

Re: MathJax scalable math rendering update for 1.19 [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Erik Moeller <erik [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Brion Vibber <brion [at] pobox> wrote:
> > In the last few days I've updated the Math extension's experimental
> MathJax
> > support to where it can actually be enabled by individual users. If all
> > goes well with review I'd love to get this deployed soon so the
> math-heads
> > can turn it on and check for lingering incompatibilities...
>
> I notice that this has been deployed with 1.20wmf1 to wikis that have
> it, but is disabled. Do you feel confident enough in the code at this
> time that we could set $wgUseMathJax=true for mediawiki.org and invite
> some more testing there?

I say we go for it -- what it'll do at this point is add a math rendering
option so people can opt in to MathJax use, and actually test it in place.

The more usage we get, the more feedback we'll get on things needing to be
tweaked (there's some more commands that need to be added, and some tweaks
for borders and things).

-- brion