Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: Wikitech

Database dump of Bugzilla

 

 

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Wikipedia wikitech RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


compwhizii at gmail

Mar 2, 2012, 5:11 PM

Post #1 of 44 (2535 views)
Permalink
Database dump of Bugzilla

I'm currently investigating alternative bug tracker and project management
software for MediaWiki. To do that I'll be installing some different
software on the Labs and importing existing bugs for evaluation by the
development team and users. The following software is planned for test:


- JIRA <http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/overview> + Greenhopper +
Bonfire
- YouTrack <http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/>
- The Bug Genie <http://www.thebuggenie.com/index.php>
- Redmine <http://www.redmine.org/>
- ChiliProject <https://www.chiliproject.org/>

If you have any suggestions for this list I'd be glad to hear it.

Of course, this goes back to the original request. To do this I need a dump
of the current Bugzilla install. Is it possible for me to get this and
under what conditions? Thank you.

--
John
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


amir.aharoni at mail

Mar 3, 2012, 1:12 AM

Post #2 of 44 (2506 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

Mantis:
http://www.mantisbt.org/

I'm not sure whether it has all the features that Wikimedia projects
need, but it does have good internationalization.

--
Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬



2012/3/3 John Du Hart <compwhizii [at] gmail>:
> I'm currently investigating alternative bug tracker and project management
> software for MediaWiki. To do that I'll be installing some different
> software on the Labs and importing existing bugs for evaluation by the
> development team and users. The following software is planned for test:
>
>
>   - JIRA <http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/overview> + Greenhopper +
>   Bonfire
>   - YouTrack <http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/>
>   - The Bug Genie <http://www.thebuggenie.com/index.php>
>   - Redmine <http://www.redmine.org/>
>   - ChiliProject <https://www.chiliproject.org/>
>
> If you have any suggestions for this list I'd be glad to hear it.
>
> Of course, this goes back to the original request. To do this I need a dump
> of the current Bugzilla install. Is it possible for me to get this and
> under what conditions? Thank you.
>
> --
> John
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


p858snake at gmail

Mar 3, 2012, 1:18 AM

Post #3 of 44 (2506 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM, John Du Hart <compwhizii [at] gmail> wrote:
> I'm currently investigating alternative bug tracker and project management
> software for MediaWiki. To do that I'll be installing some different
> software on the Labs and importing existing bugs for evaluation by the
> development team and users. The following software is planned for test:

Haven't we already been around this circle a few times?

I seem to remember we even had a couple installed on the WMF servers
if I'm not mistaken.

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


dgerard at gmail

Mar 3, 2012, 2:03 AM

Post #4 of 44 (2503 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

On 3 March 2012 09:12, Amir E. Aharoni <amir.aharoni [at] mail> wrote:

> Mantis:
> http://www.mantisbt.org/
> I'm not sure whether it has all the features that Wikimedia projects
> need, but it does have good internationalization.


Mantis is opaque and hacky. I was put off working on our work
installation when, tracing a bug, I found a page which calls a
function which calls a function which calls a *page* which calls a
function which looks up an enum. Mantis: exemplary PHP. The only
reason I haven't installed something else is that all bugtrackers are
horrible to install, run or both. We've actually been moving a lot of
our bugtracking to pivotaltracker.com, where at least we have active
support.

tl;dr all software sucks, *especially* bug trackers.


- d.

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


innocentkiller at gmail

Mar 3, 2012, 4:30 AM

Post #5 of 44 (2502 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 5:03 AM, David Gerard <dgerard [at] gmail> wrote:
> tl;dr all software sucks, *especially* bug trackers.
>

Agreed. I've never found a bug tracker that I actually *liked*
using. Bugzilla happens to be the one I just hate the least.

-Chad

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


valhallasw at arctus

Mar 3, 2012, 4:46 AM

Post #6 of 44 (2513 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

On 3 March 2012 02:11, John Du Hart <compwhizii [at] gmail> wrote:

> - JIRA <http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/overview> + Greenhopper +
> Bonfire
> - YouTrack <http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/>
> - The Bug Genie <http://www.thebuggenie.com/index.php>
> - Redmine <http://www.redmine.org/>
> - ChiliProject <https://www.chiliproject.org/>
>

Roundup < http://roundup.sourceforge.net/ >, the tracker used for
http://bugs.python.org, might also be a candidate to consider. It's one of
the bug trackers I find least annoying to use . However, wouldn't adapting
Bugzilla to be less annoying be a more sensible option? Converting bugs
always is somewhat annoying.

Best,
Merlijn
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


compwhizii at gmail

Mar 3, 2012, 7:53 AM

Post #7 of 44 (2500 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 7:46 AM, Merlijn van Deen <valhallasw [at] arctus> wrote:
> However, wouldn't adapting
> Bugzilla to be less annoying be a more sensible option? Converting bugs
> always is somewhat annoying.

I agree however there's only so much that can be done to improve
Bugzilla. BZ itself is only built to be a bugtracker, however it seems
that we are starting to need more features such as scrum (since teams
using that now use a different piece of software).

--
John

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


hashar+wmf at free

Mar 3, 2012, 11:20 AM

Post #8 of 44 (2497 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

Le 03/03/12 02:11, John Du Hart a crit :
> I'm currently investigating alternative bug tracker and project management
> software for MediaWiki. To do that I'll be installing some different
> software on the Labs and importing existing bugs for evaluation by the
> development team and users.

Hello John,

I beg you to first establish a list of requirements and features we are
looking after. You do not want to invest any time installing a software
we could dismiss right away just by looking at its specs (see at the
bottom of this mail for examples).

Let me ask you a question, why do you feel we should move to another bug
tracker?
Do you think that Bugzilla is missing features we could use?
For example, maybe some bug tracker also assist in planning release
management. I know Mantis has a nice interface for that.
Is that because other tools have a nicer interface? We could probably
enhance the Bugzilla one.

I am not a huge fan of Bugzilla. It is certainly lagging in terms of
neat features lack reporting and ease of navigation between components.
But so far, Bugzilla seems to fit our needs nicely.


As for testing there is probably no point in loading our existing bugs
since close to nobody, beside hexmode, know our bugs well enough to take
advantage of it. Instead we can use some demo accounts or just install
a version for sandboxing purposes. Both way would be easier than
investing time in migrating bugs to some other tracker.

If you want some bugs, you can try out Bugzilla JSON interface which is
used to generate the release reports. Entry point is:
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/jsonrpc.cgi

Guillaume wrote a blog post about bug tracker, you might want to have a
look at it:
http://www.gpaumier.org/blog/520_scaling-up-software-development-for-wikimedia-websites-tools/


Find below my comments about the proposed softwares:

> The following software is planned for test:
>
> - JIRA<http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/overview>
> + Greenhopper + Bonfire

I guess it was installed on Toolserver just because it was written in
Java, a language that River Tarnell like.
Anyway, I would dismiss it just because that is a proprietary software.


> - YouTrack<http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/>

Proprietary software as well.

> - Redmine<http://www.redmine.org/>
> - ChiliProject<https://www.chiliproject.org/>

The later being a fork of the former. Both are written in ruby which, as
far as I know, our operation team do not want to hear about on our
production cluster.


> - The Bug Genie<http://www.thebuggenie.com/index.php>
Demo:
http://www.opensourcecms.com/demo/1/259/The+Bug+Genie


> If you have any suggestions for this list I'd be glad to hear it.

Have a look at mantis http://www.mantisbt.org/ :-) I like it a lot.

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


valhallasw at arctus

Mar 3, 2012, 12:17 PM

Post #9 of 44 (2500 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

On 3 March 2012 20:20, Antoine Musso <hashar+wmf [at] free> wrote:

> Anyway, I would dismiss it just because that is a proprietary software.
>
I never quite understand this argument. What is wrong with using
proprietary software if it's the best software you can use? Or, to turn it
around: Why force your developers to work with suboptimal software /just
because/ it's open source?

Best,
Merlijn
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


compwhizii at gmail

Mar 3, 2012, 12:23 PM

Post #10 of 44 (2490 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Merlijn van Deen <valhallasw [at] arctus> wrote:
> On 3 March 2012 20:20, Antoine Musso <hashar+wmf [at] free> wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I would dismiss it just because that is a proprietary software.
>>
> I never quite understand this argument. What is wrong with using
> proprietary software if it's the best software you can use? Or, to turn it
> around: Why force your developers to work with suboptimal software /just
> because/ it's open source?
>
> Best,
> Merlijn
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

I agree with that, just because it's proprietary doesn't mean we can't
consider it.

--
John

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


tfinc at wikimedia

Mar 3, 2012, 2:09 PM

Post #11 of 44 (2498 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

Didn't robla do this same analysis about a year ago? Are his notes up
somewhere so that we don't waste time on solutions that simply won't work.
Finding those could make this go way faster. Adjusted for whatever has
changed in the projects since his review of course.
02-03-2012 17:11 użytkownik "John Du Hart" <compwhizii [at] gmail> napisał:

> I'm currently investigating alternative bug tracker and project management
> software for MediaWiki. To do that I'll be installing some different
> software on the Labs and importing existing bugs for evaluation by the
> development team and users. The following software is planned for test:
>
>
> - JIRA <http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/overview> + Greenhopper +
> Bonfire
> - YouTrack <http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/>
> - The Bug Genie <http://www.thebuggenie.com/index.php>
> - Redmine <http://www.redmine.org/>
> - ChiliProject <https://www.chiliproject.org/>
>
> If you have any suggestions for this list I'd be glad to hear it.
>
> Of course, this goes back to the original request. To do this I need a dump
> of the current Bugzilla install. Is it possible for me to get this and
> under what conditions? Thank you.
>
> --
> John
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


compwhizii at gmail

Mar 3, 2012, 2:19 PM

Post #12 of 44 (2546 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

On Mar 3, 2012 2:20 PM, "Antoine Musso" <hashar
<hashar%2Bwmf [at] free>+<hashar%2Bwmf [at] free>
wmf <hashar%2Bwmf [at] free>@
<hashar%2Bwmf [at] free>free.fr<hashar%2Bwmf [at] free>>
wrote:
>
> Le 03/03/12 02:11, John Du Hart a crit :
>
>> I'm currently investigating alternative bug tracker and project
management
>> software for MediaWiki. To do that I'll be installing some different
>> software on the Labs and importing existing bugs for evaluation by the
>> development team and users.
>
>
> Hello John,
>
> I beg you to first establish a list of requirements and features we are
looking after. You do not want to invest any time installing a software we
could dismiss right away just by looking at its specs (see at the bottom of
this mail for examples).
>

Fair enough. I think what I'm looking for is a bug tracker that is more
easier to use for both developers and users. I would also like tools that
allow us to better visualize progress on bugs and what's fixed or needed
for a released. Finally an API that doesn't suck would be nice

> Let me ask you a question, why do you feel we should move to another bug
tracker?
> Do you think that Bugzilla is missing features we could use?
> For example, maybe some bug tracker also assist in planning release
management. I know Mantis has a nice interface for that.
> Is that because other tools have a nicer interface? We could probably
enhance the Bugzilla one.
>
> I am not a huge fan of Bugzilla. It is certainly lagging in terms of neat
features lack reporting and ease of navigation between components. But so
far, Bugzilla seems to fit our needs nicely.
>

But I'm sure we could do better!

> As for testing there is probably no point in loading our existing bugs
since close to nobody, beside hexmode, know our bugs well enough to take
advantage of it. Instead we can use some demo accounts or just install a
version for sandboxing purposes. Both way would be easier than investing
time in migrating bugs to some other tracker.
>

I disagree. I think that if the software supports an importer it wouldn't
hurt to use it for the demo.

> If you want some bugs, you can try out Bugzilla JSON interface which is
used to generate the release reports. Entry point is:
> https:// <https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/jsonrpc.cgi>
bugzilla.wikimedia.org
<https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/jsonrpc.cgi>/<https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/jsonrpc.cgi>
jsonrpc.cgi <https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/jsonrpc.cgi>
>

Again most of the software supports an import via a database dump so I'd
rather use that.

> Guillaume wrote a blog post about bug tracker, you might want to have a
look at it:
> http://<http://www.gpaumier.org/blog/520_scaling-up-software-development-for-wikimedia-websites-tools/>
www.gpaumier.org<http://www.gpaumier.org/blog/520_scaling-up-software-development-for-wikimedia-websites-tools/>
/blog/520_scaling-up-software-development-for-<http://www.gpaumier.org/blog/520_scaling-up-software-development-for-wikimedia-websites-tools/>
wikimedia<http://www.gpaumier.org/blog/520_scaling-up-software-development-for-wikimedia-websites-tools/>
-websites-tools/<http://www.gpaumier.org/blog/520_scaling-up-software-development-for-wikimedia-websites-tools/>
>

Interesting. Again, it seems we're in agreement for the need of a better
project management tool.

>
> Find below my comments about the proposed softwares:
>
>> The following software is planned for test:
>>
>> - JIRA<http:// <http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/overview>
www.atlassian.com <http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/overview>
/software/ <http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/overview>jira<http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/overview>
/overview <http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/overview>>
>> + Greenhopper + Bonfire
>
>
> I guess it was installed on Toolserver just because it was written in
Java, a language that River Tarnell like.
> Anyway, I would dismiss it just because that is a proprietary software.
>
>
>> - YouTrack<http:// <http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/>
www.jetbrains.com
<http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/>/<http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/>
youtrack <http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/>/<http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/>
>
>
>
> Proprietary software as well.

Like I replied earlier, this is not a major concern.
>
>> - Redmine<http:// <http://www.redmine.org/>www.redmine.org/<http://www.redmine.org/>
>
>> - ChiliProject<https:// <https://www.chiliproject.org/>
www.chiliproject.org/ <https://www.chiliproject.org/>>
>
>
> The later being a fork of the former. Both are written in ruby which, as
far as I know, our operation team do not want to hear about on our
production cluster.
>
>

Fair enough.

>
> > - The Bug Genie<http:// <http://www.thebuggenie.com/index.php>
www.thebuggenie.com
<http://www.thebuggenie.com/index.php>/<http://www.thebuggenie.com/index.php>
index.php <http://www.thebuggenie.com/index.php>>
> Demo:
> http:// <http://www.opensourcecms.com/demo/1/259/The+Bug+Genie>
www.opensourcecms.com<http://www.opensourcecms.com/demo/1/259/The+Bug+Genie>
/demo/1/259/The+Bug+Genie<http://www.opensourcecms.com/demo/1/259/The+Bug+Genie>
>
>
>
>> If you have any suggestions for this list I'd be glad to hear it.
>
>
> Have a look at mantis http:// <http://www.mantisbt.org/>www.mantisbt.org/<http://www.mantisbt.org/>:-) I like it a lot.
>

Sure.
> --
> Antoine "hashar" Musso
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech <Wikitech-l [at] lists>-l@<Wikitech-l [at] lists>
lists.wikimedia.org <Wikitech-l [at] lists>
> https:// <https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l>
lists.wikimedia.org<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l>
/mailman/ <https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l>listinfo<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l>
/ <https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l>wikitech<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l>
-l <https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


innocentkiller at gmail

Mar 3, 2012, 2:25 PM

Post #13 of 44 (2500 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Antoine Musso <hashar+wmf [at] free> wrote:
> As for testing there is probably no point in loading our existing bugs since
> close to nobody, beside hexmode, know our bugs well enough to take advantage
> of it.  Instead we can use some demo accounts or just install a version for
> sandboxing purposes. Both way would be easier than investing time in
> migrating bugs to some other tracker.
>

I'm going to have to disagree here. There's quite a few of us who've
been around here for ages and have more than a passing knowledge
of what's in Bugzilla.

Then again, I'm fine with the status quo so I'm not volunteering to
test anyway.

-Chad

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


dgerard at gmail

Mar 3, 2012, 2:37 PM

Post #14 of 44 (2549 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

On 3 March 2012 19:20, Antoine Musso <hashar+wmf [at] free> wrote:

> Have a look at mantis http://www.mantisbt.org/ :-) I like it a lot.


Have you ever fixed it when it's broken? Anything looks good when it's
working, but I've found the experience of trying to bugfix a broken
Mantis horrible.

If Bugzilla mostly works and its breakages have so far been fixable
in-house, that's a *powerful* advantage right there, and it would take
really quite strong reasons to move.


- d.

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


dgerard at gmail

Mar 3, 2012, 2:38 PM

Post #15 of 44 (2495 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

On 3 March 2012 20:23, John Du Hart <compwhizii [at] gmail> wrote:

> I agree with that, just because it's proprietary doesn't mean we can't
> consider it.


It's a seriously strong point in its disfavour.


- d.

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


compwhizii at gmail

Mar 3, 2012, 2:44 PM

Post #16 of 44 (2500 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM, David Gerard <dgerard [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 3 March 2012 20:23, John Du Hart <compwhizii [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> I agree with that, just because it's proprietary doesn't mean we can't
>> consider it.
>
>
> It's a seriously strong point in its disfavour.
>
>
> - d.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

I really don't understand why we'd rather suffer than use a superior
proprietary product.

--
John

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


compwhizii at gmail

Mar 3, 2012, 2:45 PM

Post #17 of 44 (2501 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
> Then again, I'm fine with the status quo so I'm not volunteering to
> test anyway.
>

Oops too late, already had you down ;)

--
John

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


innocentkiller at gmail

Mar 3, 2012, 2:50 PM

Post #18 of 44 (2500 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Antoine Musso <hashar+wmf [at] free> wrote:
> I beg you to first establish a list of requirements and features we are
> looking after.  You do not want to invest any time installing a software we
> could dismiss right away just by looking at its specs (see at the bottom of
> this mail for examples).
>

While we're talking about requirements--let me say that something I'd
ike to see if we move bugtrackers is LDAP support (does BZ have this?).
We're moving more and more tech services to LDAP, so it would make
sense to integrate our bugtracker there as well.

-Chad

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


innocentkiller at gmail

Mar 3, 2012, 2:51 PM

Post #19 of 44 (2494 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Antoine Musso <hashar+wmf [at] free> wrote:
>> I beg you to first establish a list of requirements and features we are
>> looking after.  You do not want to invest any time installing a software we
>> could dismiss right away just by looking at its specs (see at the bottom of
>> this mail for examples).
>>
>
> While we're talking about requirements--let me say that something I'd
> ike to see if we move bugtrackers is LDAP support (does BZ have this?).
> We're moving more and more tech services to LDAP, so it would make
> sense to integrate our bugtracker there as well.
>

Answered my own question--yes BZ does support LDAP out of the
box, no plugins required.

-Chad

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


dgerard at gmail

Mar 3, 2012, 3:25 PM

Post #20 of 44 (2512 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

On 3 March 2012 22:44, John Du Hart <compwhizii [at] gmail> wrote:

> I really don't understand why we'd rather suffer than use a superior
> proprietary product.


https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Values

Duplicability down to the infrastructure is considered extremely
important, or the free content isn't free. "Open core" fails this
test.


- d.

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


dgerard at gmail

Mar 3, 2012, 3:27 PM

Post #21 of 44 (2500 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

On 3 March 2012 23:25, David Gerard <dgerard [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 3 March 2012 22:44, John Du Hart <compwhizii [at] gmail> wrote:

>> I really don't understand why we'd rather suffer than use a superior
>> proprietary product.

> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Values
> Duplicability down to the infrastructure is considered extremely
> important, or the free content isn't free. "Open core" fails this
> test.


(I will note that the Foundation has used nonfree software in
infrastructure, e.g. Java before it was freed, Solaris 10 - but only
on the way to something free.)


- d.

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


hashar+wmf at free

Mar 3, 2012, 3:32 PM

Post #22 of 44 (2504 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

John Du Hart wrote:
> I really don't understand why we'd rather suffer than use a superior
> proprietary product.

I have been using Linux as a main platform for years and eventually was
fed up with the graphical interface. I switched to Mac which, with Aqua,
has the best ergonomy around (gnome 3 kde 4 were epic failures).

So, indeed, I sometime stop being idealist and get pragmatic.

The reason I am dismissing proprietary product is probably because we
have been building Wikipedia on top of free software stack for the last
11 years. I clearly remember someone being trolled out of an IRC
channel just because he suggested to use some Java software, then
non-free software.

It might change. But I would prefer having us sticking to FOSS.


--
Antoine "hashar" Musso






_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


compwhizii at gmail

Mar 3, 2012, 3:32 PM

Post #23 of 44 (2502 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

It's a bug tracker. It's not critical to the operation of a clone and can
be replaced. In fact, some teams are using mingle which is a proprietary
agile project manager.
On Mar 3, 2012 6:26 PM, "David Gerard" <dgerard [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 3 March 2012 22:44, John Du Hart <compwhizii [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> > I really don't understand why we'd rather suffer than use a superior
> > proprietary product.
>
>
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Values
>
> Duplicability down to the infrastructure is considered extremely
> important, or the free content isn't free. "Open core" fails this
> test.
>
>
> - d.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


hashar+wmf at free

Mar 3, 2012, 3:34 PM

Post #24 of 44 (2503 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

Le 03/03/12 23:37, David Gerard a crit :
<snip>
> Have you ever fixed it when it's broken? Anything looks good when it's
> working, but I've found the experience of trying to bugfix a broken
> Mantis horrible.

Luckily, I had people fixing my bug reports :-)))))

> If Bugzilla mostly works and its breakages have so far been fixable
> in-house, that's a *powerful* advantage right there, and it would take
> really quite strong reasons to move.

My point. I do not think there is anything better for us than Bugzilla.

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


compwhizii at gmail

Mar 3, 2012, 3:52 PM

Post #25 of 44 (2496 views)
Permalink
Re: Database dump of Bugzilla [In reply to]

I know you don't think that currently however I would like the opportunity
to convince you otherwise.
On Mar 3, 2012 6:35 PM, "Antoine Musso" <hashar+wmf [at] free> wrote:

> Le 03/03/12 23:37, David Gerard a crit :
> <snip>
>
>> Have you ever fixed it when it's broken? Anything looks good when it's
>> working, but I've found the experience of trying to bugfix a broken
>> Mantis horrible.
>>
>
> Luckily, I had people fixing my bug reports :-)))))
>
> If Bugzilla mostly works and its breakages have so far been fixable
>> in-house, that's a *powerful* advantage right there, and it would take
>> really quite strong reasons to move.
>>
>
> My point. I do not think there is anything better for us than Bugzilla.
>
> --
> Antoine "hashar" Musso
>
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/**mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Wikipedia wikitech RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.