Minor git update

innocentkiller at gmail

Mar 2, 2012, 6:07 AM

Minor git update

Hi folks,

Just a quick update on git. All WMF-deployed extensions are currently mirroring
SVN and are available for read-only operations (clone, pull, fetch). We won't be
enabling pushing until the changeover date, but if you're interested
in going ahead
and cloning a particular extension (full list: [0]) so you can get
working on it locally,
that's open for business! All of the extensions are in mediawiki/extensions/*.

Minor note, the meta-repo mediawiki/extensions.git that will contain
the extensions
as submodules has *not* been setup yet. Hope to start poking at that
today or over
the weekend.

Also, mediawiki core is in its final iteration before it begins
mirroring as well. I'd
encourage people to check it out and see what they think--feedback appreciated
before we begin the mirroring process. The repo for that is
test/mediawiki/core.git

Remember, all repos can be cloned via:
`https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/p/example/repo/path.git`

Or over SSH if you've got a gerrit account via:
`git clone ssh://<user>@gerrit.wikimedia.org:29418/example/repo/path.git`

Have a great Friday!

-Chad

innocentkiller at gmail

Mar 2, 2012, 6:09 AM

Re: Minor git update [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
> Just a quick update on git. All WMF-deployed extensions are currently mirroring
> SVN and are available for read-only operations (clone, pull, fetch). We won't be
> enabling pushing until the changeover date, but if you're interested
> in going ahead
> and cloning a particular extension (full list: [0]) so you can get
> working on it locally,
> that's open for business! All of the extensions are in mediawiki/extensions/*.

Whoops, forgot to add that link:

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#admin,projects

-Chad

overlordq at gmail

Mar 2, 2012, 8:20 AM

Re: Minor git update [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 8:07 AM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Or over SSH if you've got a gerrit account via:
> `git clone ssh://<user>@gerrit.wikimedia.org:29418/example/repo/path.git`

Since the other thread has been hijacked, how do we get a gerrit
account? I thought I got one at one point, but I can't seem to figure
out what the credentials are.

jpostlethwaite at wikimedia

Mar 2, 2012, 8:30 AM

Re: Minor git update [In reply to]

Thanks for getting this up!

There is an extension missing: UnitTest

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:UnitTest

What do I need to do to get this mirrored as well?

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 8:20 AM, OQ <overlordq [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 8:07 AM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Or over SSH if you've got a gerrit account via:
> > `git clone ssh://<user>@
> gerrit.wikimedia.org:29418/example/repo/path.git`
> >

> Since the other thread has been hijacked, how do we get a gerrit
> account? I thought I got one at one point, but I can't seem to figure
> out what the credentials are.

Jeremy Postlethwaite
jpostlethwaite [at] wikimedia
415-839-6885 x6790
Backend Software Developer
Wikimedia Foundation <http://wikimediafoundation.org/>

innocentkiller at gmail

Mar 2, 2012, 9:54 AM

Re: Minor git update [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Jeremy Postlethwaite
<jpostlethwaite [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> Thanks for getting this up!
>
> There is an extension missing: UnitTest
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:UnitTest
>
> What do I need to do to get this mirrored as well?

The plan right now is to only do extensions that are deployed
to WMF wikis in the first batch. Is this deployed somewhere
that I missed?

-Chad

innocentkiller at gmail

Mar 2, 2012, 9:57 AM

Re: Minor git update [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM, OQ <overlordq [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 8:07 AM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Or over SSH if you've got a gerrit account via:
>> `git clone ssh://<user>@gerrit.wikimedia.org:29418/example/repo/path.git`
>>

> Since the other thread has been hijacked, how do we get a gerrit
> account? I thought I got one at one point, but I can't seem to figure
> out what the credentials are.

If you've already got an account on labsconsole, you should be able
to use the same username/password. Once you login to gerrit for the
first time, add your public SSH key you wish to use (the fact that
these aren't pulled from LDAP is a known bug and filed upstream).

You can reset your password via labsconsole, if need be.

If you don't have an account on labsconsole yet, ping either myself,
Sumana, or Ryan and we can get you setup (see the gerrit access
thread).

-Chad

jpostlethwaite at wikimedia

Mar 2, 2012, 10:07 AM

Re: Minor git update [In reply to]

It is not fully deployed, but I did instruct OmniTI how to use it for the
Article Feedback Tool.

I do not see any reason why UnitTest needs to be put into Git this instant.

I am pretty sure it can wait until a another batch of extensions is
deployed.

Thanks!

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Jeremy Postlethwaite
> <jpostlethwaite [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> > Thanks for getting this up!
> >
> > There is an extension missing: UnitTest
> >
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:UnitTest
> >
> > What do I need to do to get this mirrored as well?
> >

> The plan right now is to only do extensions that are deployed
> to WMF wikis in the first batch. Is this deployed somewhere
> that I missed?
>
> -Chad

Jeremy Postlethwaite
jpostlethwaite [at] wikimedia
415-839-6885 x6790
Backend Software Developer
Wikimedia Foundation <http://wikimediafoundation.org/>

innocentkiller at gmail

Mar 9, 2012, 9:56 AM

Re: Minor git update [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
> Also, mediawiki core is in its final iteration before it begins
> mirroring as well. I'd
> encourage people to check it out and see what they think--feedback appreciated
> before we begin the mirroring process. The repo for that is
> test/mediawiki/core.git

Took a little bit longer than I thought, but core is now mirroring SVN
as well. It can be cloned from the mediawiki/core.git repository.

If you spot any major problems--let me know, it's not too late to rewrite
history.

-Chad

overlordq at gmail

Mar 9, 2012, 12:45 PM

Re: Minor git update [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Also, mediawiki core is in its final iteration before it begins
>> mirroring as well. I'd
>> encourage people to check it out and see what they think--feedback appreciated
>> before we begin the mirroring process. The repo for that is
>> test/mediawiki/core.git
>>

> Took a little bit longer than I thought, but core is now mirroring SVN
> as well. It can be cloned from the mediawiki/core.git repository.
>
> If you spot any major problems--let me know, it's not too late to rewrite
> history.

What if our Labs and thus gerrit logins are different then our
subversion username?

rlane32 at gmail

Mar 9, 2012, 1:04 PM

Re: Minor git update [In reply to]

> What if our Labs and thus gerrit logins are different then our
> subversion username?

Your shell account name is your svn username. It's linked with your
gerrit user name.

- Ryan