Reminder: deployment of 1.19 to most Wikipedias today

robla at wikimedia

Feb 29, 2012, 11:34 AM

Reminder: deployment of 1.19 to most Wikipedias today

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that we're deploying MediaWiki 1.19 to most Wikipedias
in a few hours (including enwiki), starting at 23:00 UTC (3pm PST).

In January, Wikipedia represented 94.7% of our page traffic:
http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesPageViewsMonthlyAllProjects.htm

Since we've already deployed to Polish (pl), Dutch (nl), and Esperanto
(eo), we need to subtract that out. Those represent 2.85%, 1.20%, and
0.05% of our Wikipedia traffic respectively:
http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesPageViewsMonthlyOriginalCombined.htm

...for a total of 4.1% of Wikipedia traffic, and 3.88% of our overall
traffic. That means that today's deployment to the other Wikipedia
sites (roughly 90.8% of traffic) is clearly the big one.

Our plan is to deploy to enwiki first, then if things go well, march
down the list in traffic order.

Some things will inevitably break during this time, so please refer to
our maintenance notice for how to get in touch with us:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_maintenance_notice

In short, you should be able to follow what's going on on the
#wikimedia-tech IRC channel.

We still have a few bugs that could use everyone's attention:
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/buglist.cgi?resolution=---&target_milestone=1.19wmf%20deployment&list_id=95452

Please take a look, and if you can help, please do.

Thanks!
Rob