robla at wikimedia
Feb 27, 2012, 8:44 PM
Post #1 of 3
Postponing Git migration until March 21
We'd like to postpone the Git migration 2.5 weeks, with a new final
migration date of Wednesday, March 21. Here's the convergence of
factors that led us to the new date:
* The 1.19 deployment has kept us busy enough that none of the rest
of us in Platform Engineering have had spare cycles to help Chad out
* It's quite likely we'll have many fixes after we deploy to the
bigger wikis (enwiki and friends) on Wednesday
* We have a number of unresolved issues in our Git+Gerrit deployment 
* Code review is falling back behind. As of right now, we have 38
unreviewed revisions in core (phase3), and another 189 unreviewed
revisions in extensions. That's up from the 4 core + 28 extensions on
February 4. We basically let code review get back out of hand as
we've turned our focus toward bugfixing in deployment.
Chad and Ryan also discovered today that the machine we're using for
Git and Gerrit (formey, which is also SVN) just isn't up to hosting
the whole mess. So, there's a machine deployment we need to do as
well. The good thing about this
Here's the new plan:
* Week of 3/5 - MediaWiki 1.19RC1 release. Code review stats by
end-of-week: 20 new on phase3, 100 new on phase3+extensions
* Week of 3/12 - MediaWiki 1.19.0 release. Code review stats by
end-of-week: as close to zero as possible in phase3+extensions.
Possibly even 1.20wmf1 (first mini deployment untethered to release
schedule, first of many...1.20wmf2, 1.20wmf3, etc)
* Week of 3/19 - Git migration week. Migration day: Wednesday, 3/21
A MediaWiki tarball release *should* be a relatively minor endeavor.
A deployment during this time is a stretch goal. We should be able to
make a deployment from a more recent point on trunk if we're
disciplined about actually getting through the code review backlog and
we do a good job in review. Doing a good job means reverting when we
The top priority for Platform Engineering will be the Git migration,
so anything that distracts from that (like, for instance, a 1.20wmf1
deploy) may get postponed while we finish this off once and for all.
Thank you everyone for your patience on this transition.
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists