Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Wikipedia wikitech RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

sumanah at wikimedia

Feb 27, 2012, 1:28 PM

Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts?

As Ryan mentioned in an email to another list a couple weeks ago:

> Everyone with access to create svn accounts can also link them to Labs
> accounts. Feel free to make Labs accounts. Also feel free to add users
> to the bastion project, and to any other project you are a member of.
> Unless the user needs/wants Labs access, don't give them bastion or
> other project access by default, though.

It seems to me that the list of people who can make SVN accounts is
unclear to the average newbie --
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/System_administrators doesn't have me on
it. Is there a better list?

How to make a Labs account:
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/OpenStack#Wiki_access which I am
about to merge into https://labsconsole.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Access .

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator

Graf.Zahl at gmx

Feb 27, 2012, 3:06 PM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

Hi,

Am Montag, 27. Februar 2012 schrieb Sumana Harihareswara:
> As Ryan mentioned in an email to another list a couple weeks ago:
> > Everyone with access to create svn accounts can also link them to
> > Labs accounts. Feel free to make Labs accounts. Also feel free to
> > add users to the bastion project, and to any other project you are
> > a member of. Unless the user needs/wants Labs access, don't give
> > them bastion or other project access by default, though.
>
> It seems to me that the list of people who can make SVN accounts is
> unclear to the average newbie --
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/System_administrators doesn't have me
> on it. Is there a better list?
>
> How to make a Labs account:
> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/OpenStack#Wiki_access which I am
> about to merge into
> https://labsconsole.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Access .

on IRC, Ryan mentioned that switching all SVN users over to Gerrit is
too much work for one single person. So maybe it would be nice to have a
request queue (say, in the form of a wiki page on mediawiki.org), as
opposed to everone wanting a gerrit account bugging the first person on
whatever list makes it?

Alexander

innocentkiller at gmail

Feb 27, 2012, 3:09 PM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

Surely this could be scripted.

-Chad
On Feb 27, 2012 6:07 PM, "Alexander Klauer" <Graf.Zahl [at] gmx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Montag, 27. Februar 2012 schrieb Sumana Harihareswara:
> > As Ryan mentioned in an email to another list a couple weeks ago:
> > > Everyone with access to create svn accounts can also link them to
> > > Labs accounts. Feel free to make Labs accounts. Also feel free to
> > > add users to the bastion project, and to any other project you are
> > > a member of. Unless the user needs/wants Labs access, don't give
> > > them bastion or other project access by default, though.
> >
> > It seems to me that the list of people who can make SVN accounts is
> > unclear to the average newbie --
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/System_administrators doesn't have me
> > on it. Is there a better list?
> >
> > How to make a Labs account:
> > https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/OpenStack#Wiki_access which I am
> > about to merge into
> > https://labsconsole.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Access .
>
> on IRC, Ryan mentioned that switching all SVN users over to Gerrit is
> too much work for one single person. So maybe it would be nice to have a
> request queue (say, in the form of a wiki page on mediawiki.org), as
> opposed to everone wanting a gerrit account bugging the first person on
> whatever list makes it?
>
> Alexander

rlane32 at gmail

Feb 27, 2012, 4:37 PM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

As long as everyone's information is known in advance, it can be scripted, yes.

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
> Surely this could be scripted.
>
> -Chad
> On Feb 27, 2012 6:07 PM, "Alexander Klauer" <Graf.Zahl [at] gmx> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am Montag, 27. Februar 2012 schrieb Sumana Harihareswara:
>> > As Ryan mentioned in an email to another list a couple weeks ago:
>> >
>> > It seems to me that the list of people who can make SVN accounts is
>> > unclear to the average newbie --
>> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/System_administrators doesn't have me
>> > on it. Is there a better list?
>> >
>> > How to make a Labs account:
>> > https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/OpenStack#Wiki_access which I am
>> > about to merge into
>> > https://labsconsole.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Access .
>>
>> on IRC, Ryan mentioned that switching all SVN users over to Gerrit is
>> too much work for one single person. So maybe it would be nice to have a
>> request queue (say, in the form of a wiki page on mediawiki.org), as
>> opposed to everone wanting a gerrit account bugging the first person on
>> whatever list makes it?
>>
>> Alexander

p858snake at gmail

Feb 27, 2012, 10:48 PM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Ryan Lane <rlane32 [at] gmail> wrote:
> As long as everyone's information is known in advance, it can be scripted, yes.
>
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Surely this could be scripted.
>>
>> -Chad

Does they all need new accounts created? perhaps this might be a
chance to see who actually still want/needs them?

Graf.Zahl at gmx

Feb 28, 2012, 4:13 AM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

Am Dienstag, 28. Februar 2012 schrieb K. Peachey:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Ryan Lane <rlane32 [at] gmail> wrote:
> > As long as everyone's information is known in advance, it can be
> > scripted, yes.
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail>
wrote:
> >> Surely this could be scripted.
> >>
> >> -Chad
>
> Does they all need new accounts created? perhaps this might be a
> chance to see who actually still want/needs them?

Perhaps all these suggestions can be combined. Prospective gerrit users
must somehow convey their information (quoting wm-bot: "I need the
following info from you: 1. Your preferred wiki user name. This will
also be your git username, so if you'd prefer this to be your real name,
then provide your real name. 2. Your preferred email address. 3. Your
SVN account name, or your preferred shell account name, if you do not
have SVN access."). They can do so on a wiki page through a template. A
script then regularly checks the page and processes new requests. Those
who do not bother with their account any more will not add themselves to
the page, resulting in a decrufted gerrit user base.

Alexander

gregory.varnum at gmail

Feb 28, 2012, 4:20 AM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

Could mimic what we did here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/New_repositories#Step_3:_Request_space_for_your_extension

-greg aka varnent

On Feb 28, 2012, at 7:13 AM, Alexander Klauer wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 28. Februar 2012 schrieb K. Peachey:
>> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Ryan Lane <rlane32 [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> As long as everyone's information is known in advance, it can be
>>> scripted, yes.

>> Does they all need new accounts created? perhaps this might be a
>> chance to see who actually still want/needs them?
>
> Perhaps all these suggestions can be combined. Prospective gerrit users
> must somehow convey their information (quoting wm-bot: "I need the
> following info from you: 1. Your preferred wiki user name. This will
> also be your git username, so if you'd prefer this to be your real name,
> then provide your real name. 2. Your preferred email address. 3. Your
> SVN account name, or your preferred shell account name, if you do not
> have SVN access."). They can do so on a wiki page through a template. A
> script then regularly checks the page and processes new requests. Those
> who do not bother with their account any more will not add themselves to
> the page, resulting in a decrufted gerrit user base.
>
> Alexander

innocentkiller at gmail

Feb 28, 2012, 4:46 AM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Gregory Varnum
<gregory.varnum [at] gmail> wrote:
> Could mimic what we did here:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/New_repositories#Step_3:_Request_space_for_your_extension

I think as long as this is only for people who currently have svn and want
git/gerrit we could do this.

In the long run, I'd rather not have this be such a manual process
and we could allow open registration to the services tied to LDAP
(that's waiting on some work to make ConfirmAccount behave
properly with LDAPAuthentication, if I'm right?)

-Chad

rlane32 at gmail

Feb 28, 2012, 10:11 AM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 4:46 AM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Gregory Varnum
> <gregory.varnum [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Could mimic what we did here:
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/New_repositories#Step_3:_Request_space_for_your_extension
>>

> I think as long as this is only for people who currently have svn and want
> git/gerrit we could do this.
>
> In the long run, I'd rather not have this be such a manual process
> and we could allow open registration to the services tied to LDAP
> (that's waiting on some work to make ConfirmAccount behave
> properly with LDAPAuthentication, if I'm right?)

I'm not sure we need ConfirmAccount, unless it's to combat spam. I
don't see any reason we can't let anyone register. It may be
beneficial to require some kind of sanity-check group for access to
labs, but push access to gerrit should be open to anyone who wants an
account.

- Ryan

innocentkiller at gmail

Feb 28, 2012, 10:14 AM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Ryan Lane <rlane32 [at] gmail> wrote:
> I'm not sure we need ConfirmAccount, unless it's to combat spam. I
> don't see any reason we can't let anyone register. It may be
> beneficial to require some kind of sanity-check group for access to
> labs, but push access to gerrit should be open to anyone who wants an
> account.

I thought that was the general idea, to avoid spam accounts. If
we can do this by other means then let's go for that.

If we're paranoid, we can hide gerrit permissions behind a group
that can be liberally given out with UserRights, to make sure to
avoid spam.

-Chad

sumanah at wikimedia

Feb 28, 2012, 10:24 AM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

On 02/28/2012 01:11 PM, Ryan Lane wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 4:46 AM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Gregory Varnum
>> <gregory.varnum [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> Could mimic what we did here:
>>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/New_repositories#Step_3:_Request_space_for_your_extension
>>>

>> I think as long as this is only for people who currently have svn and want
>> git/gerrit we could do this.
>>
>> In the long run, I'd rather not have this be such a manual process
>> and we could allow open registration to the services tied to LDAP
>> (that's waiting on some work to make ConfirmAccount behave
>> properly with LDAPAuthentication, if I'm right?)
>>

> I'm not sure we need ConfirmAccount, unless it's to combat spam. I
> don't see any reason we can't let anyone register. It may be
> beneficial to require some kind of sanity-check group for access to
> labs, but push access to gerrit should be open to anyone who wants an
> account.
>
> - Ryan

I agree 100% that push access to gerrit should be open to anyone who
wants an account. I also personally think that we should mass-issue
Gerrit accounts to all existing SVN committers. My hunch is that the
possible clutter issue is far outweighed by our interest in ensuring
that everyone with any interest in Wikimedia development, past or
present, experiences few barriers to continued contribution. But if
clutter is a serious issue for some reason, I'd like to hear about it.

OK, so my understanding going forward is:

* Right now, everyone listed at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/System_administrators as having shell
access can make a Gerrit/Labsconsole account, and should say yes to
everyone who asks, except for known malicious persons. There is no
other publicly available list that's better, so this is the list of
people newbies can ping to ask for accounts.
* Instead of relying on pinging individuals, it would be nice if there
were a queue/requests page, but there is none right now.
* We have to decide whether to just create Gerrit accounts for all
existing SVN committers. Chad has the committer USERINFO necessary to
create Gerrit accounts for nearly all our SVN committers, but not all.
* Chad and Ryan are interested in improving the signup process so that
anyone can register for an account without having to ask a gatekeeper,
but there's no timeline for this.
* After the switch, if anyone submits a patch in Bugzilla, we should
encourage them to get a Gerrit account and just push there in the future.

If I'm wrong on any of these, tell me.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator
Wikimedia Foundation

Platonides at gmail

Feb 28, 2012, 11:47 AM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

I think there was an interest for making bugzilla patches into gerrit
automatically.
That should make the need for a gerrit account much smaller.

p858snake at gmail

Feb 28, 2012, 2:03 PM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 4:24 AM, Sumana Harihareswara
<sumanah [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> ... snip...
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/System_administrators as having shell
> access can make a Gerrit/Labsconsole account, and should say yes to
> everyone who asks, except for known malicious persons.

Doubt there would be that many (although I haven't seen the Queue
since it went private) that would apply for malicious reasons,
Although I do know of one account in SVN although they are globally
blocked (or were), they have since been doing [apparently] wonderful
work on one of the languages(?) movements/groups/committee and have
AFAIK never missed used their commit access. So I don't think they
would be a problem nor should a few blocks really count if they
contribute in other methods that havn't caused issues.

niklas.laxstrom at gmail

Feb 28, 2012, 11:53 PM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

On 28 February 2012 20:24, Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> OK, so my understanding going forward is:
>
> * Right now, everyone listed at
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/System_administrators as having shell
> access can make a Gerrit/Labsconsole account, and should say yes to
> everyone who asks, except for known malicious persons.  There is no
> other publicly available list that's better, so this is the list of
> people newbies can ping to ask for accounts.

> If I'm wrong on any of these, tell me.

I don't think that list is up to date. I also think that not everyone
who has access knows how to do that or want to do that.
-Niklas

--
Niklas Laxström

rlane32 at gmail

Feb 28, 2012, 11:59 PM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

> I don't think that list is up to date. I also think that not everyone
> who has access knows how to do that or want to do that.

The puppet repo (in manifests/site.pp) is the most accurate way of finding this:

706 $sudo_privs = [. 'ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/local/sbin/add-ldap-user',
707 'ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/local/sbin/delete-ldap-user',
708 'ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/local/sbin/modify-ldap-user',
709 'ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/local/bin/svn-group',
710 'ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/local/sbin/add-labs-user' ]
711 sudo_user { [ "demon", "robla", "sumanah", "reedy" ]:
privileges => $sudo_privs }

So, other than ops (who rarely makes SVN accounts, and likely
shouldn't be making Gerrit accounts for the git switchover), it's
Chad, Sumana, Rob (La), and Sam Reed. Tim also often handed out SVN
accounts, but isn't in this list since he has full root access.

- Ryan

benapetr at gmail

Feb 29, 2012, 5:51 AM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

This page seems to be absolutely pointless and also incorrect, since the
production is managed by operation team which contains a lot of people who
aren't on this list. Actually I don't even know why do we need to have such
a list somewhere on meta, they should be located on same page together with
rest of employees, as many of current operation engineers are now. Also
since we are moving the development to wikimedia labs, having shell on
production wouldn't mean so much. All the changes to sw and configuration
are going to be done in labs and later merged to production.

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Sumana Harihareswara <
sumanah [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> It seems to me that the list of people who can make SVN accounts is
> unclear to the average newbie --
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/System_administrators doesn't have me on
> it. Is there a better list?

innocentkiller at gmail

Feb 29, 2012, 6:22 AM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Petr Bena <benapetr [at] gmail> wrote:
> This page seems to be absolutely pointless and also incorrect, since the
> production is managed by operation team which contains a lot of people who
> aren't on this list. Actually I don't even know why do we need to have such
> a list somewhere on meta, they should be located on same page together with
> rest of employees, as many of current operation engineers are now. Also
> since we are moving the development to wikimedia labs, having shell on
> production wouldn't mean so much. All the changes to sw and configuration
> are going to be done in labs and later merged to production.

Labs doesn't fix "I'm getting a strange error on the cluster" that
requires digging
into log files. Or "Oh crap, this is broken, can you please deploy Foo
fix really
quick?"

So yes, having such a list *does* matter. If it's missing names, add them, don't
nuke the page.

-Chad

benapetr at gmail

Feb 29, 2012, 6:24 AM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

Right, but the page says: don't contact people on this page, go to irc. So
question is if having such a list really help the users who seek help.

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Petr Bena <benapetr [at] gmail> wrote:
> > This page seems to be absolutely pointless and also incorrect, since the
> > production is managed by operation team which contains a lot of people
> who
> > aren't on this list. Actually I don't even know why do we need to have
> such
> > a list somewhere on meta, they should be located on same page together
> with
> > rest of employees, as many of current operation engineers are now. Also
> > since we are moving the development to wikimedia labs, having shell on
> > production wouldn't mean so much. All the changes to sw and configuration
> > are going to be done in labs and later merged to production.
> >

> Labs doesn't fix "I'm getting a strange error on the cluster" that
> requires digging
> into log files. Or "Oh crap, this is broken, can you please deploy Foo
> fix really
> quick?"
>
> So yes, having such a list *does* matter. If it's missing names, add them,
> don't
> nuke the page.
>
> -Chad

innocentkiller at gmail

Feb 29, 2012, 6:26 AM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Petr Bena <benapetr [at] gmail> wrote:
> Right, but the page says: don't contact people on this page, go to irc. So
> question is if having such a list really help the users who seek help.

Yes, but at least you have an idea of who to look for (hence the IRC nicks).
This is a solution in search of a problem.

-Chad

benapetr at gmail

Feb 29, 2012, 6:27 AM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

OK, in that case we should update the list with more "functions", beside
svn etc, to "LDAP admin", or whatever what is needed to create accounts for
labs and such, and insert all missing people, like Sumana, Ryan, Sara...

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Petr Bena <benapetr [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Right, but the page says: don't contact people on this page, go to irc.
> So
> > question is if having such a list really help the users who seek help.
> >

> Yes, but at least you have an idea of who to look for (hence the IRC
> nicks).
> This is a solution in search of a problem.
>
> -Chad

happy.melon.wiki at gmail

Feb 29, 2012, 6:47 AM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

On 29 February 2012 14:27, Petr Bena <benapetr [at] gmail> wrote:

> OK, in that case we should update the list with more "functions", beside
> svn etc, to "LDAP admin", or whatever what is needed to create accounts for
> labs and such, and insert all missing people, like Sumana, Ryan, Sara...

https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=System_administrators&action=edit

The main purpose of that page is as an on-wiki reference to wiki user
accounts which might be encountered making sysadmin actions, as explained
in the first section of that page. "Don't revert sysadmin actions" is
effectively a global policy, and the page serves an important function in
describing that policy. As with all wiki pages on meta, it is intended
mainly for WMF wiki-users, not developers (otherwise it would belong on
mw.org).

--HM

sumanah at wikimedia

Feb 29, 2012, 5:22 PM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

On 02/28/2012 02:47 PM, Platonides wrote:
> I think there was an interest for making bugzilla patches into gerrit
> automatically.
> That should make the need for a gerrit account much smaller.

That is Rusty Burchfield. I believe he was working on this a little bit
at the SF hackathon. He said in an email to me last week (he said it
was ok to forward):

> Currently there is some basic code up on GitHub that is capable of
> grabbing patches from Bugzilla and testing to see if they apply on
> trunk.
>
> If you saw the post I made to wikitech a while back, that
> functionality is basically the same. However, it is available as a
> gem with fewer dependencies on this branch.
> https://github.com/GICodeWarrior/patch-tester/tree/gemify
>
> Once Git and Gerrit are operational, the code could be modified to
> apply the patches to trunk, and push them up into Gerrit for review
> and testing.
>
> If you are interested in hacking on or taking over any of this stuff,
feel free.

He's referring to "[Wikitech-l] Patch backlog automation" from November,
I believe:

> Basically I fetch pages with curb(libcurl) and pull out what I need with
> nokogiri(libxml2) and some css selectors. Then I take each patch and attempt an
> exhaustive search (after trying the easy cases) to see if it will apply.

Mark says:
> Ideally, I would like to have this integrated into a Bugzilla (which
> would mean Perl, probably) or Gerrit (which would mean Java or, maybe,
> JRuby).

Given that we currently have about 130 patches awaiting review on
MediaWiki core, and about 60 for extensions that WMF deploys (some going
back years), I think it's going to make a big difference to surface
those and put them into the same dashboard that reviewers use to see all
the pending pull requests. So if Rusty or another contributor has time
to work on this, I think it would have a dramatic effect on our patch
backlog.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator
Wikimedia Foundation

hashar+wmf at free

Mar 1, 2012, 2:14 AM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

Le 29/02/12 15:26, Chad a crit :

> Yes, but at least you have an idea of who to look for (hence the IRC nicks).
> This is a solution in search of a problem.

Can't we make Chanserv to +v shell users and +o root users ? That will
make it obvious to anyone looking for us :-D

Most root are already channels admin IIRC.
+v does no harm.

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

innocentkiller at gmail

Mar 1, 2012, 7:06 AM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 5:14 AM, Antoine Musso <hashar+wmf [at] free> wrote:
> Can't we make Chanserv to +v shell users and +o root users ? That will make
> it obvious to anyone looking for us :-D
>
> Most root are already channels admin IIRC.
> +v does no harm.

+v is fine. At the risk of sounding pedantic, I'll point out the
freenode policy frowns on leaving people +o when it's not
needed (although I find the policy kind of silly).

-Chad

benapetr at gmail

Mar 2, 2012, 1:57 AM

Re: Who can make Gerrit/Labsconsole accounts? [In reply to]

That policy doesn't make sense, especially given to number of services
outages when it's not possible to op yourself, also it's quite annoying
when you have to op / mode / deop yourself instead of just doing op work.
However I don't see a reason to make people with root look different than
others since most of regular users have no idea what is root actually
needed for. If you have access to merge changes on puppet, you have root
powers anyway.