Git, Gerrit, and You! or, Gerrit training available starting Monday 27 February

sumanah at wikimedia

Feb 22, 2012, 5:53 PM

Git, Gerrit, and You! or, Gerrit training available starting Monday 27 February

Before the March 3rd migration of MediaWiki core + WMF-deployed
extensions to git, we want all MediaWiki developers to feel comfortable
with Git, git-review, and Gerrit. So I'm scheduling the first in some
one-hour interactive training sessions where you can learn the new
MediaWiki development workflow.

I can lead a couple of these on Monday and Tuesday, 27 and 28 February.
If you're interested, please mark down times that you're available in
this poll:

http://www.doodle.com/9r5nb33u8cu4ap6y

I intend on running these sessions via Google+ Hangout (you don't have
to enable your webcam or audio) so you'll see my screen as I show you
the steps. If you prefer not to use G+, then please let me know and I'll
separately schedule some IRC trainings, or find another screensharing
solution.

While it's nice if you can come to a training, I aim to also make sure
comprehensive documentation is at

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Workflow

by sometime this Friday. And then, after I've gotten the ball rolling,
I hope other new experts will take the lead and start teaching.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator

sumanah at wikimedia

Feb 24, 2012, 2:53 PM

Re: Git, Gerrit, and You! or, Gerrit training available starting Monday 27 February [In reply to]

On 02/22/2012 08:53 PM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> Before the March 3rd migration of MediaWiki core + WMF-deployed
> extensions to git, we want all MediaWiki developers to feel comfortable
> with Git, git-review, and Gerrit. So I'm scheduling the first in some
> one-hour interactive training sessions where you can learn the new
> MediaWiki development workflow.
[snip]
> I intend on running these sessions via Google+ Hangout (you don't have
> to enable your webcam or audio) so you'll see my screen as I show you
> the steps. If you prefer not to use G+, then please let me know and I'll
> separately schedule some IRC trainings, or find another screensharing
> solution.
>
> While it's nice if you can come to a training, I aim to also make sure
> comprehensive documentation is at
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Workflow
>
> by sometime this Friday. And then, after I've gotten the ball rolling,
> I hope other new experts will take the lead and start teaching.

OK, I've closed the poll. I'll hold two of these on G+ next week:

Monday 27 Feb, 22:00 UTC http://bit.ly/zBNhXu
Tuesday 28 Feb, 21:00 UTC http://bit.ly/y9CFuW

Please come into IRC and find me half an hour before the meetings, so we
can get you set up with a Labsconsole/Gerrit account, and so we can
ensure your Google+ setup works.

If anyone else wants to lead some of these, speak up!
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Workflow is a pretty good guide now
and will be even better by Monday.