Problematic automated tweets

jokestress at gmail

Feb 18, 2012, 7:39 PM

Problematic automated tweets

Tonight the Twitter account @wikimediatech sent out two problematic
tweets that began with "jfaritu," one of which contains a racial slur.
Not sure who handles this, but please have someone look into it.
Thanks.

techman224 at techman224

Feb 18, 2012, 7:52 PM

Re: Problematic automated tweets [In reply to]

I saw that too, those tweets have now been taken down by one of the admins.

Techman224

On 2012-02-18, at 9:39 PM, A wrote:

> Tonight the Twitter account @wikimediatech sent out two problematic
> tweets that began with "jfaritu," one of which contains a racial slur.
> Not sure who handles this, but please have someone look into it.
> Thanks.

Attachments: signature.asc (0.48 KB)

rlane32 at gmail

Feb 18, 2012, 7:53 PM

Re: Problematic automated tweets [In reply to]

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 7:39 PM, A <jokestress [at] gmail> wrote:
> Tonight the Twitter account @wikimediatech sent out two problematic
> tweets that began with "jfaritu," one of which contains a racial slur.
> Not sure who handles this, but please have someone look into it.
> Thanks.

A channel troll logged to our Server Admin Log. It automatically posts
to twitter and identi.ca. I've cleaned it up everywhere.

- Ryan

hashar+wmf at free

Feb 20, 2012, 1:07 AM

Re: Problematic automated tweets [In reply to]

Ryan Lane wrote:
> A channel troll logged to our Server Admin Log. It automatically posts
> to twitter and identi.ca. I've cleaned it up everywhere.

Isn't there a list of allowed users? Maybe based on the IRC cloak.

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

benapetr at gmail

Feb 20, 2012, 4:40 AM

Re: Problematic automated tweets [In reply to]

I think that it would only make logbot more complicated, it's being used
for a long time, since there were almost no troubles with trolls and it's
being logged to wiki, where it can be easily removed, I don't think it's
worth of that work, also keep in mind we use same bot in labs, and we would
need to manage the userlist somehow, associate cloak to each user who is
created on labs. Irc is not an official part of wikimedia, so dealing with
cloak requests is up to self-promoted volunteers / freenode staff and
requests sometimes takes a long time to be processed.

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Antoine Musso <hashar+wmf [at] free> wrote:

> Ryan Lane wrote:
>
>> A channel troll logged to our Server Admin Log. It automatically posts
>> to twitter and identi.ca. I've cleaned it up everywhere.
>>

> Isn't there a list of allowed users? Maybe based on the IRC cloak.
>
> --
> Antoine "hashar" Musso

Platonides at gmail

Feb 21, 2012, 7:53 AM

Re: Problematic automated tweets [In reply to]

It's interesting to note that the text 'jfaritu' which began the
problematic texts was precisely pointing to the abuser's nick.

rlane32 at gmail

Feb 21, 2012, 9:21 AM

Re: Problematic automated tweets [In reply to]

That's because the bot records the user's nick in the log message.

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Platonides <Platonides [at] gmail> wrote:
> It's interesting to note that the text 'jfaritu' which began the
> problematic texts was precisely pointing to the abuser's nick.

Platonides at gmail

Feb 21, 2012, 9:44 AM

Re: Problematic automated tweets [In reply to]

On 21/02/12 18:21, Ryan Lane wrote:
> That's because the bot records the user's nick in the log message.

I know, but not everybody realised that.