Phabricator

compwhizii at gmail

Feb 9, 2012, 8:08 PM

Phabricator

Unless you've been living under a rock (If you have, how's the wifi under
there?) we're moving to git soon. Along with this will come a change in how
we do code review. However, some people have expressed concerns over the
usability of gerrit. Therefore I'd like to propose an alternative.

Phabricator is a code review tool written by and for Facebook that has
been open sourced. For an introduction, see this:
http://phabricator.com/docs/phabricator/article/Introduction.html

I've written up some documentation about Phabricator for our uses here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator

I would really like for some of our developers and reviewers to try this
out as an alternative to gerrit. Personally I've found it much more
pleasurable to work with than gerrit. If we think this might be a viable
solution for us then I'd be willing to work on adding more integration
(LDAP support and Unit testing integration).

Let me know if you have any questions or feedback. Thanks!

--
John

erik at wikimedia

Feb 9, 2012, 8:15 PM

Re: Phabricator [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM, John Du Hart <compwhizii [at] gmail> wrote:
> Unless you've been living under a rock (If you have, how's the wifi under
> there?) we're moving to git soon. Along with this will come a change in how
> we do code review. However, some people have expressed concerns over the
> usability of gerrit. Therefore I'd like to propose an alternative.

Regardless of where we end up with this, let me just say a huge Thank
You for putting in the effort to get this set up and writing up the
docs -- fantastic work. :-)

Erik
--
Erik Möller

compwhizii at gmail

Feb 10, 2012, 12:01 PM

Re: Phabricator [In reply to]

Just want to check in to see how everyone's doing. I see a lot of account
creations however no posts to differential. Is there a problem I'm not
aware of? Documentation problems? Software issues? Do we see something we
don't like?

What's up?

--
John

valhallasw at arctus

Feb 10, 2012, 3:05 PM

Re: Phabricator [In reply to]

On 10 February 2012 21:01, John Du Hart <compwhizii [at] gmail> wrote:

> Just want to check in to see how everyone's doing. I see a lot of account
> creations however no posts to differential. Is there a problem I'm not
> aware of? Documentation problems? Software issues? Do we see something we
> don't like?

Probably just people trying to open the example link from the wiki page
([1]) - it needs a login, and considering it's easy to create one, I
suppose a lot of people did. The lack of response probably means there are
/no/ problems - people are generally more vocal about things not working
than things working ;-)

Best,
Merlijn

robla at wikimedia

Feb 10, 2012, 6:59 PM

Re: Phabricator [In reply to]

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM, John Du Hart <compwhizii [at] gmail> wrote:
> Just want to check in to see how everyone's doing. I see a lot of account
> creations however no posts to differential. Is there a problem I'm not
> aware of? Documentation problems? Software issues? Do we see something we
> don't like?
>
> What's up?

Hi John,

Just mulling it over, mainly. I love having a test instance to play
with, and agree with you that it looks way easier to use than Gerrit
on the surface. I don't want that to be taken as an endorsement of
the system just yet, because I don't know enough about either system
(Gerrit or Phabricator) to have a valid opinion about which is better
for us.

What Chad, Sumana and I spoke about earlier today was the tough
reality we're in. In order to get moved to Git in the very short
term, we're going to have to stay the course on Gerrit. That said,
one beautiful thing about Git is that Git repos are far more portable
than SVN repos. We could decide we're going to use Gerrit on a
probationary basis, and have a serious reevaluation in three months.
Sumana and I would like to go in that direction, and we twisted Chad's
arm hard enough on this point that he might just say he agrees with
us, even if he's secretly blowing us off ;-)

There's at least one feature we would need to use this system, which
is LDAP integration. I don't think we can seriously consider a system
that doesn't have some sort of sensible plan for how it's going to
work with our LDAP server. I do, however, love the idea of using
OAuth for filling in credentials from other services like Github. It
would be ridiculously cool if people could use their Wikimedia SUL
logins to access this system.

It's also nice that this is written in PHP. Since we have an
abundance of PHP developers, that means it's far more likely that
customization we need would actually happen.

In general, it's good to have options. Like I said, I don't want to
put the brakes on our immediate plans, but I think it's worth
consideration after we've given Gerrit a try.

Rob

rlane32 at gmail

Feb 11, 2012, 1:37 PM

Re: Phabricator [In reply to]

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 5:08 AM, John Du Hart <compwhizii [at] gmail> wrote:
> Unless you've been living under a rock (If you have, how's the wifi under
> there?) we're moving to git soon. Along with this will come a change in how
> we do code review. However, some people have expressed concerns over the
> usability of gerrit. Therefore I'd like to propose an alternative.
>
> Phabricator is a code review tool written by and for Facebook that has
> been open sourced. For an introduction, see this:
> http://phabricator.com/docs/phabricator/article/Introduction.html
>
> I've written up some documentation about Phabricator for our uses here:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator
>
> I would really like for some of our developers and reviewers to try this
> out as an alternative to gerrit. Personally I've found it much more
> pleasurable to work with than gerrit. If we think this might be a viable
> solution for us then I'd be willing to work on adding more integration
> (LDAP support and Unit testing integration).
>
> Let me know if you have any questions or feedback. Thanks!

We have to consider how this will affect the operations team as well.
We have a very hard requirement of review before merge, and we must
have fine-grained permissions per-branch. It would be a serious shame
to use phabricator for mediawiki development and gerrit for operations
development. We need *more* integration between operations and
development, not less.

We also need to consider Labs integration. I've been putting a lot of
effort into building things around gerrit's model (which is fairly
good, even if its UI is terrible). I'm fine with switching to
something else as long as it's going to actually work.

- Ryan

rlane32 at gmail

Feb 11, 2012, 1:46 PM

Re: Phabricator [In reply to]

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 5:08 AM, John Du Hart <compwhizii [at] gmail> wrote:
> Unless you've been living under a rock (If you have, how's the wifi under
> there?) we're moving to git soon. Along with this will come a change in how
> we do code review. However, some people have expressed concerns over the
> usability of gerrit. Therefore I'd like to propose an alternative.
>
> Phabricator is a code review tool written by and for Facebook that has
> been open sourced. For an introduction, see this:
> http://phabricator.com/docs/phabricator/article/Introduction.html
>
> I've written up some documentation about Phabricator for our uses here:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator
>
> I would really like for some of our developers and reviewers to try this
> out as an alternative to gerrit. Personally I've found it much more
> pleasurable to work with than gerrit. If we think this might be a viable
> solution for us then I'd be willing to work on adding more integration
> (LDAP support and Unit testing integration).
>
> Let me know if you have any questions or feedback. Thanks!

I forgot. There's one other thing I wanted to point out about
phabricator. To properly use it, you must have php installed wherever
you are working from. I like that it uses PHP on the server side, but
despise that it uses it on the client side.

I also have a few questions:

* Who's going to get stuck with maintaining the LDAP support?
* Does it already integrate with Jenkins?
* Does it use the system SSH, or a separate SSH daemon?
* What permissions model does it have?
* Does it manage the repositories and branches?
* How are repos created?
* Does it support server side branches?
* Does it handle merges automatically?

- Ryan

compwhizii at gmail

Feb 11, 2012, 2:41 PM

Re: Phabricator [In reply to]

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Ryan Lane <rlane32 [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 5:08 AM, John Du Hart <compwhizii [at] gmail>
> wrote:
> > Unless you've been living under a rock (If you have, how's the wifi under
> > there?) we're moving to git soon. Along with this will come a change in
> how
> > we do code review. However, some people have expressed concerns over the
> > usability of gerrit. Therefore I'd like to propose an alternative.
> >
> > Phabricator is a code review tool written by and for Facebook that has
> > been open sourced. For an introduction, see this:
> > http://phabricator.com/docs/phabricator/article/Introduction.html
> >
> > I've written up some documentation about Phabricator for our uses here:
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator
> >
> > I would really like for some of our developers and reviewers to try this
> > out as an alternative to gerrit. Personally I've found it much more
> > pleasurable to work with than gerrit. If we think this might be a viable
> > solution for us then I'd be willing to work on adding more integration
> > (LDAP support and Unit testing integration).
> >
> > Let me know if you have any questions or feedback. Thanks!
> >

> I forgot. There's one other thing I wanted to point out about
> phabricator. To properly use it, you must have php installed wherever
> you are working from. I like that it uses PHP on the server side, but
> despise that it uses it on the client side.
>
> I also have a few questions:
>
> * Who's going to get stuck with maintaining the LDAP support?
> * Does it already integrate with Jenkins?
> * Does it use the system SSH, or a separate SSH daemon?
> * What permissions model does it have?
> * Does it manage the repositories and branches?
> * How are repos created?
> * Does it support server side branches?
> * Does it handle merges automatically?
>
> - Ryan

* Me
* Why would it need to, it runs unit and lint tests before the diff is
posted

The rest of the questions are irrelevant because, unlike gerrit,
Phabricator does not manage git repositories.

--
John

compwhizii at gmail

Feb 13, 2012, 5:48 AM

Re: Phabricator [In reply to]

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM, Rob Lanphier <robla [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM, John Du Hart <compwhizii [at] gmail>
> wrote:
> > Just want to check in to see how everyone's doing. I see a lot of account
> > creations however no posts to differential. Is there a problem I'm not
> > aware of? Documentation problems? Software issues? Do we see something we
> > don't like?
> >
> > What's up?
>
> Hi John,
>
> Just mulling it over, mainly. I love having a test instance to play
> with, and agree with you that it looks way easier to use than Gerrit
> on the surface. I don't want that to be taken as an endorsement of
> the system just yet, because I don't know enough about either system
> (Gerrit or Phabricator) to have a valid opinion about which is better
> for us.
>
> What Chad, Sumana and I spoke about earlier today was the tough
> reality we're in. In order to get moved to Git in the very short
> term, we're going to have to stay the course on Gerrit. That said,
> one beautiful thing about Git is that Git repos are far more portable
> than SVN repos. We could decide we're going to use Gerrit on a
> probationary basis, and have a serious reevaluation in three months.
> Sumana and I would like to go in that direction, and we twisted Chad's
> arm hard enough on this point that he might just say he agrees with
> us, even if he's secretly blowing us off ;-)
>
> There's at least one feature we would need to use this system, which
> is LDAP integration. I don't think we can seriously consider a system
> that doesn't have some sort of sensible plan for how it's going to
> work with our LDAP server. I do, however, love the idea of using
> OAuth for filling in credentials from other services like Github. It
> would be ridiculously cool if people could use their Wikimedia SUL
> logins to access this system.
>
> It's also nice that this is written in PHP. Since we have an
> abundance of PHP developers, that means it's far more likely that
> customization we need would actually happen.
>
> In general, it's good to have options. Like I said, I don't want to
> put the brakes on our immediate plans, but I think it's worth
> consideration after we've given Gerrit a try.
>
> Rob

I compeletely agree with that. It would be a complete waste to have chad
and others' work from the past 5 months thrown away at the last minute for
a solution brought up this late. We can initially use git for the migration
however if we decide to later, Phabricator is still available. :-)

--
John

rlane32 at gmail

Feb 13, 2012, 10:32 AM

Re: Phabricator [In reply to]

> I compeletely agree with that. It would be a complete waste to have chad
> and others' work from the past 5 months thrown away at the last minute for
> a solution brought up this late. We can initially use git for the migration
> however if we decide to later, Phabricator is still available. :-)

Indeed. We should continue to evaluate phabricator, and see if it fits
our model better than Gerrit in the long run. Also, we should start
keeping a list of things phabricator needs to be usable (like we are
doing with Gerrit).

- Ryan

compwhizii at gmail

Feb 13, 2012, 10:46 AM