San Francisco Hackathon: Tutorial/showcase videos

erik at wikimedia

Feb 2, 2012, 2:44 PM

San Francisco Hackathon: Tutorial/showcase videos

Thanks to Victor Grigas and Matthew Roth we've got excellent video and
photo documentation of our San Francisco Hackathon. We felt it
important to capture the tutorials/workshops as well as the final
showcase of projects completed at the event. Hopefully the videos will
prove useful as future training resources.

Huge thanks to Sumana for taking the lead on making this happen, as
well as improving on-wiki documentation, and big kudos to the
presenters (Brion Vibber, Yuvi Panda, Tomasz Finc, Roan Kattouw) for
all their work preparing and delivering these presentations.

I uploaded them to Commons in the original resolution transcoded to
Ogg Theora. This will be hard to stream for lots of folks, so I
recommend downloading for easier playback. (In the glorious TMH
feature, we'll have these automatically transcoded to multiple
resolutions and to WebM for easier viewing.)

Finally, we're still evolving how to best shoot these kinds of videos.
Obviously it'd be great to do a composite of speaker & screen -- tips
for doing this in a low cost way that doesn't require software to be
installed on presenter laptops are appreciated.

Here they are (please forgive and fix any error or omission in the metadata):

API tutorial:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_MediaWiki_Web_API_and_How_to_use_it_-_San_Francisco_Wikipedia_Hackathon_2012.ogv

Toolserver and Wikimedia Labs:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Toolserver_and_Wikimedia_Labs_-_San_Francisco_Wikipedia_Hackathon_2012.ogv

Building the Android app and adding a small feature:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Building_the_Wikipedia_Android_app_using_the_cross-platform_PhoneGap_framework_-_San_Francisco_Wikipedia_Hackathon_2012.ogv

User scripts and gadgets (two takes):
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Customizing_Wikipedia_with_Javascript_-_User_Scripts_and_Gadgets_-_San_Francisco_Wikipedia_Hackathon_2012.ogv
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Customizing_Wikipedia_with_Javascript_-_User_Scripts_and_Gadgets_2_-_San_Francisco_Wikipedia_Hackathon_2012.ogv

Project showcase from the hackathon:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Showcase_-_San_Francisco_Wikipedia_Hackathon_2012.ogv

On a less technical note, Friday night I gave a small opening talk
following the SOPA blackout:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Erik_Moeller_-_The_Day_We_Turned_Off_Wikipedia_-_San_Francisco_Wikipedia_Hackathon_2012.ogv

Share & enjoy,
Erik
--
Erik Möller

erik at wikimedia

Feb 2, 2012, 2:57 PM

Re: San Francisco Hackathon: Tutorial/showcase videos [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Erik Moeller <erik [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> (Brion Vibber, Yuvi Panda, Tomasz Finc, Roan Kattouw)

+ Ryan Lane & Daniel Kinzler who did the toolserver/labs walkthrough. :)
--
Erik Möller