Please help test MediaWiki 1.19 now - deployments may start in February

sumanah at wikimedia

Jan 26, 2012, 8:59 AM

Please help test MediaWiki 1.19 now - deployments may start in February

The developers of MediaWiki, the software Wikimedia sites run on, are
wrapping up work on a new version, with hundreds of improvements and
bugfixes. Description:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.19

There is a draft schedule for deploying this software to all Wikimedia
sites in February and March. The schedule is tentative and dates are
going to shift and change. (See the "SCHEDULING" note below in this email.)

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.19/Roadmap

We want to do a lot of testing BEFORE the rollout, so that we catch
potential problems before they affect readers and editors. Please help
us! We have set up replicas of your wikis and installed the latest
MediaWiki code on those replicas, so you can spot new problems in the
software's behavior:

http://labs.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org

Please look at
http://labs.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Special:SiteMatrix and find
wikis to test. Try reading, editing, and so on as you normally would;
treat it as a giant sandbox. If you find a problem, please report it
here: http://labs.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Problem_reports

We are especially interested in finding out about problems that affect
unique JavaScript user scripts or Gadgets, so we can help you fix them.

SCHEDULING: Now is also a good time to let us know if there are going to
be big news days or weeks in February where your community would be
especially unhappy if you had a window with no access or no editability.
For example, if there's an important national election happening in one
of the countries you serve, we'd ideally like to avoid taking your site
down for maintenance on that day.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:MediaWiki_1.19/Roadmap would be a
good place to tell us that.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact us in
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_on_IRC or via the Wikimedia
developers' mailing list at
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l .

Thank you.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator

thehelpfulonewiki at gmail

Jan 26, 2012, 9:26 AM

Re: Please help test MediaWiki 1.19 now - deployments may start in February [In reply to]

On 26 January 2012 16:59, Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah [at] wikimedia>wrote:

> The developers of MediaWiki, the software Wikimedia sites run on, are
> wrapping up work on a new version, with hundreds of improvements and
> bugfixes. Description:
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.19
>
> There is a draft schedule for deploying this software to all Wikimedia
> sites in February and March. The schedule is tentative and dates are
> going to shift and change. (See the "SCHEDULING" note below in this
> email.)
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.19/Roadmap
>
> We want to do a lot of testing BEFORE the rollout, so that we catch
> potential problems before they affect readers and editors. Please help
> us! We have set up replicas of your wikis and installed the latest
> MediaWiki code on those replicas, so you can spot new problems in the
> software's behavior:
>
> http://labs.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org
>
> Please look at
> http://labs.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Special:SiteMatrix and find
> wikis to test. Try reading, editing, and so on as you normally would;
> treat it as a giant sandbox. If you find a problem, please report it
> here: http://labs.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Problem_reports
>
> We are especially interested in finding out about problems that affect
> unique JavaScript user scripts or Gadgets, so we can help you fix them.
>
> SCHEDULING: Now is also a good time to let us know if there are going to
> be big news days or weeks in February where your community would be
> especially unhappy if you had a window with no access or no editability.
> For example, if there's an important national election happening in one
> of the countries you serve, we'd ideally like to avoid taking your site
> down for maintenance on that day.
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:MediaWiki_1.19/Roadmap would be a
> good place to tell us that.
>
> If you have questions, please feel free to contact us in
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_on_IRC or via the Wikimedia
> developers' mailing list at
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l .
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Sumana Harihareswara
> Volunteer Development Coordinator
> Wikimedia Foundation

If you need any user rights (admin, crat..) for your testing, please feel
free to request on
http://labs.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Global_Requests#Permissions - I
can provide rights as needed (as can the other users on
http://labs.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Special:GlobalUsers/steward
although
they might be a bit more busy with testing), so feel free to ping me on IRC
(Thehelpfulone), email me or leave a message on my enwiki/metawiki talk
page if nobody has replied to your request.

Thanks.
--
Thehelpfulone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Thehelpfulone

platonides at gmail

Jan 26, 2012, 12:03 PM

Re: Please help test MediaWiki 1.19 now - deployments may start in February [In reply to]

On 26/01/12 18:26, Thehelpfulone wrote:
> If you need any user rights (admin, crat..) for your testing, please feel
> free to request on
> http://labs.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Global_Requests#Permissions - I
> can provide rights as needed (as can the other users on
> http://labs.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Special:GlobalUsers/steward
> although
> they might be a bit more busy with testing), so feel free to ping me on IRC
> (Thehelpfulone), email me or leave a message on my enwiki/metawiki talk
> page if nobody has replied to your request.
>
> Thanks.

Actually, just asking in #wikimedia-labs, there's an high probability
that someone with appropiate permissions will be there.

z at mzmcbride

Jan 26, 2012, 1:31 PM

Re: Please help test MediaWiki 1.19 now - deployments may start in February [In reply to]

Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> SCHEDULING: Now is also a good time to let us know if there are going to
> be big news days or weeks in February where your community would be
> especially unhappy if you had a window with no access or no editability.
> For example, if there's an important national election happening in one
> of the countries you serve, we'd ideally like to avoid taking your site
> down for maintenance on that day.
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:MediaWiki_1.19/Roadmap would be a
> good place to tell us that.

What's this about "taking your site down for maintenance"? I don't think
Wikimedia wikis have needed to go into read-only mode or go offline(!) for
an upgrade since like MediaWiki 1.5 or something. I skimmed
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.19> and didn't see any crazy
database schema changes or anything. Am I missing something?

MZMcBride

innocentkiller at gmail

Jan 26, 2012, 1:45 PM

Re: Please help test MediaWiki 1.19 now - deployments may start in February [In reply to]

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 4:31 PM, MZMcBride <z [at] mzmcbride> wrote:
> What's this about "taking your site down for maintenance"? I don't think
> Wikimedia wikis have needed to go into read-only mode or go offline(!) for
> an upgrade since like MediaWiki 1.5 or something. I skimmed
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.19> and didn't see any crazy
> database schema changes or anything. Am I missing something?

Not that I can see, there's no major schema changes this go
round so I can't see any reason we'd need to go offline/readonly.

-Chad

sumanah at wikimedia

Jan 26, 2012, 1:53 PM

Re: Please help test MediaWiki 1.19 now - deployments may start in February [In reply to]

On 01/26/2012 04:45 PM, Chad wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 4:31 PM, MZMcBride <z [at] mzmcbride> wrote:
>> What's this about "taking your site down for maintenance"? I don't think
>> Wikimedia wikis have needed to go into read-only mode or go offline(!) for
>> an upgrade since like MediaWiki 1.5 or something. I skimmed
>> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.19> and didn't see any crazy
>> database schema changes or anything. Am I missing something?
>>

> Not that I can see, there's no major schema changes this go
> round so I can't see any reason we'd need to go offline/readonly.
>
> -Chad

OK. I was under the impression that we announce these windows partly
because if something goes very wrong during the upgrade, sites might go
offline or readonly. Is that wrong or inapplicable here? Perhaps
better wording would instead just talk about possible JS breakage or
some other, more likely ill effects? Let me know and I'll send a
followup mail.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator
Wikimedia Foundation

happy.melon.wiki at gmail

Jan 26, 2012, 2:04 PM

Re: Please help test MediaWiki 1.19 now - deployments may start in February [In reply to]

On 26 January 2012 21:53, Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah [at] wikimedia>wrote:

> On 01/26/2012 04:45 PM, Chad wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 4:31 PM, MZMcBride <z [at] mzmcbride> wrote:
> >> What's this about "taking your site down for maintenance"? I don't think
> >> Wikimedia wikis have needed to go into read-only mode or go offline(!)
> for
> >> an upgrade since like MediaWiki 1.5 or something. I skimmed
> >> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.19> and didn't see any
> crazy
> >> database schema changes or anything. Am I missing something?
> >>

> > Not that I can see, there's no major schema changes this go
> > round so I can't see any reason we'd need to go offline/readonly.
> >
> > -Chad
>
> OK. I was under the impression that we announce these windows partly
> because if something goes very wrong during the upgrade, sites might go
> offline or readonly. Is that wrong or inapplicable here? Perhaps
> better wording would instead just talk about possible JS breakage or
> some other, more likely ill effects? Let me know and I'll send a
> followup mail.
>
> The risk of a new software bug sending a wiki offline is about the same
during a version update as for any other individual update: more changes
are being pushed, but more testing has been done on them. Breakages can
almost always be remedied by rolling back the deployment, especially now we
have the het-deploy framework in good working order, and the more serious
the breakage, the faster it will be noticed. Updates leaving the sites
readable but readonly are pretty implausible, and a breakage leaving a site
offline for a substantial period of time pretty unlikely. I'd say
scheduling around 250 sets of national events against such remote
eventualities is substantial overkill.

--HM

Platonides at gmail

Jan 26, 2012, 2:56 PM

Re: Please help test MediaWiki 1.19 now - deployments may start in February [In reply to]

It's quite unlikely, but if some people would be affected (eg. you are
presenting wikipedia the day it's getting updated, and end up showing
lots of css failures and server errors in the screen), and the devs
don't care about the actual date. Why not ask?