Want student help with your MediaWiki project?

sumanah at wikimedia

Jan 13, 2012, 6:09 AM

Want student help with your MediaWiki project?

I've arranged for MediaWiki to get some interns this spring. Four
bright college students -- they already know web development and have
had internships at Facebook, Google, and Microsoft -- need a mentor.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/UCOSP_Spring_2012

It's a bit like Google Summer of Code, but a part-time team rather than
one full-timer. They'll each be working on MediaWiki 8-10 hours per
week between now and the end of April. I figure I need one experienced
MediaWiki developer as a mentor -- I'll be your admin, and community dev
Amgine will be your backup. Amgine will lead the students in person
next weekend during a code sprint in Vancouver.

These interns don't yet know what they want to work on so you can choose
a project with them. I'd help you run two half-hour IRC meetings per
week and we'd run them through two-week iterations between now and the
end of April. I figure it'd be about 5 hours a week, possibly more at
the start as we ramp the students up.

Please let me know as soon as possible, preferably today or Monday. I'd
prefer that the students work on something that will be deployed on
Wikimedia sites.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator

rlane32 at gmail

Jan 13, 2012, 1:07 PM

Re: Want student help with your MediaWiki project? [In reply to]

I'd love some help with the OpenStackManager interface. Development of
it is fairly straightforward when the environment is configured, and I
have that done in labs in the "openstack" project. I can give them
access to that project, of course.

- Ryan

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 6:09 AM, Sumana Harihareswara
<sumanah [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> I've arranged for MediaWiki to get some interns this spring.  Four
> bright college students -- they already know web development and have
> had internships at Facebook, Google, and Microsoft -- need a mentor.
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/UCOSP_Spring_2012
>
> It's a bit like Google Summer of Code, but a part-time team rather than
> one full-timer.  They'll each be working on MediaWiki 8-10 hours per
> week between now and the end of April.  I figure I need one experienced
> MediaWiki developer as a mentor -- I'll be your admin, and community dev
> Amgine will be your backup.  Amgine will lead the students in person
> next weekend during a code sprint in Vancouver.
>
> These interns don't yet know what they want to work on so you can choose
> a project with them.  I'd help you run two half-hour IRC meetings per
> week and we'd run them through two-week iterations between now and the
> end of April.  I figure it'd be about 5 hours a week, possibly more at
> the start as we ramp the students up.
>
> Please let me know as soon as possible, preferably today or Monday.  I'd
> prefer that the students work on something that will be deployed on
> Wikimedia sites.
>
> --
> Sumana Harihareswara
> Volunteer Development Coordinator
> Wikimedia Foundation

tfinc at wikimedia

Jan 13, 2012, 1:16 PM

Re: Want student help with your MediaWiki project? [In reply to]

Lots of fun things to pick up

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Projects/roadmap

Phil & I can give you more details.

--tomasz

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 6:09 AM, Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah [at] wikimedia
> wrote:

> I've arranged for MediaWiki to get some interns this spring. Four
> bright college students -- they already know web development and have
> had internships at Facebook, Google, and Microsoft -- need a mentor.
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/UCOSP_Spring_2012
>
> It's a bit like Google Summer of Code, but a part-time team rather than
> one full-timer. They'll each be working on MediaWiki 8-10 hours per
> week between now and the end of April. I figure I need one experienced
> MediaWiki developer as a mentor -- I'll be your admin, and community dev
> Amgine will be your backup. Amgine will lead the students in person
> next weekend during a code sprint in Vancouver.
>
> These interns don't yet know what they want to work on so you can choose
> a project with them. I'd help you run two half-hour IRC meetings per
> week and we'd run them through two-week iterations between now and the
> end of April. I figure it'd be about 5 hours a week, possibly more at
> the start as we ramp the students up.
>
> Please let me know as soon as possible, preferably today or Monday. I'd
> prefer that the students work on something that will be deployed on
> Wikimedia sites.
>
> --
> Sumana Harihareswara
> Volunteer Development Coordinator
> Wikimedia Foundation

p858snake at gmail

Jan 13, 2012, 7:16 PM

Re: Want student help with your MediaWiki project? [In reply to]

Perhaps we/the mentors could get them working on a easy bug or two at
first, just to ease them into the MediaWiki world. Perhaps if there
are any closely related to the projects they choose to work on.

sumanah at wikimedia

Jan 13, 2012, 7:19 PM

Re: Want student help with your MediaWiki project? [In reply to]

On 01/13/2012 10:16 PM, K. Peachey wrote:
> Perhaps we/the mentors could get them working on a easy bug or two at
> first, just to ease them into the MediaWiki world. Perhaps if there
> are any closely related to the projects they choose to work on.

Amgine and I have already gotten all of them to start on installing
MediaWiki and follow the
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_become_a_MediaWiki_hacker guide.
If you can suggest some tiny bugs related to the project ideas now
listed at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/UCOSP_Spring_2012#Project_ideas
please do!

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator
Wikimedia Foundation

sumanah at wikimedia

Jan 25, 2012, 8:47 AM

Re: Want student help with your MediaWiki project? [In reply to]

On 01/13/2012 06:09 AM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> I've arranged for MediaWiki to get some interns this spring. Four
> bright college students -- they already know web development and have
> had internships at Facebook, Google, and Microsoft -- need a mentor.
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/UCOSP_Spring_2012

These students will be working on a mobile Wiktionary app for iPhone &
other devices, using Phonegap and the MediaWiki API. Their mentors are
Amgine, Tomasz Finc, and Yuvi Panda, with myself as an administrative lead.

The students are:

Tony Cheng, University of Toronto
Shealen Clare, University of British Columbia
Patrick Hayes, University of Waterloo, Github
Dale Lemieux, University of Waterloo

Therefore I predict that they will hang out a lot in the mobile-l list

and in the #wikimedia-mobile IRC channel. Feel free to give them advice
there!