Who actually reads @wikimediatech ?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Wikipedia wikitech RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

gpaumier at wikimedia

Nov 29, 2011, 11:25 AM

Who actually reads @wikimediatech ?

Hi all,

We've had @wikimediatech accounts on twitter & identica for some time now:
* http://identi.ca/wikimediatech
* https://twitter.com/#!/wikimediatech
that basically broadcast every single action that is logged to the
server admin log:
* http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/Server_admin_log

The account has 78 followers on identica and 430 on twitter (probably
counting the spammers).

I'm wondering if there are actually people reading all the stuff
that's pushed through these channels.

My gut feeling is that the few people reading these feeds are also
those that would know to check the SLA if they encountered an issue,
or know how to use the RSS feed of the SLA page if they really wanted
the information in real time.

Meanwhile, we don't really have social media channels dedicated to
Wikimedia tech stuff, i.e. channels where we can actually post stuff,
links, blog posts, outage info, etc and engage with a larger community
of people interested in our tech operations. I feel that the accounts
would be much more useful if we reduced the amount of semi-random
information we post there.

So, I'm basically proposing to repurpose the @wikimediatech accounts for this.

Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? You don't care?

--
Guillaume Paumier
Technical Communications Manager — Wikimedia Foundation

bharris at wikimedia

Nov 29, 2011, 11:29 AM

Re: Who actually reads @wikimediatech ? [In reply to]

I read it, and I'm not in the channels.

I use it to have an up-to-moment idea of status.

On 11/29/11 11:25 AM, Guillaume Paumier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We've had @wikimediatech accounts on twitter& identica for some time now:
> * http://identi.ca/wikimediatech
> * https://twitter.com/#!/wikimediatech
> that basically broadcast every single action that is logged to the
> server admin log:
> * http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/Server_admin_log
>
> The account has 78 followers on identica and 430 on twitter (probably
> counting the spammers).
>
> I'm wondering if there are actually people reading all the stuff
> that's pushed through these channels.
>
> My gut feeling is that the few people reading these feeds are also
> those that would know to check the SLA if they encountered an issue,
> or know how to use the RSS feed of the SLA page if they really wanted
> the information in real time.
>
> Meanwhile, we don't really have social media channels dedicated to
> Wikimedia tech stuff, i.e. channels where we can actually post stuff,
> links, blog posts, outage info, etc and engage with a larger community
> of people interested in our tech operations. I feel that the accounts
> would be much more useful if we reduced the amount of semi-random
> information we post there.
>
> So, I'm basically proposing to repurpose the @wikimediatech accounts for this.
>
> Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? You don't care?

--
Brandon Harris, Senior Designer, Wikimedia Foundation

tfinc at wikimedia

Nov 29, 2011, 11:30 AM

Re: Who actually reads @wikimediatech ? [In reply to]

As someone who uses social media frequently i'd love to see us use our
resources more effectively. I've found it really helpful to use twitter for
our mobile site (http://twitter.com/#!/WikimediaMobile) and i've been
growing that community steadily through outreach, hackathons, etc.

+1

--tomasz

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Guillaume Paumier
<gpaumier [at] wikimedia>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We've had @wikimediatech accounts on twitter & identica for some time now:
> * http://identi.ca/wikimediatech
> * https://twitter.com/#!/wikimediatech
> that basically broadcast every single action that is logged to the
> server admin log:
> * http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/Server_admin_log
>
> The account has 78 followers on identica and 430 on twitter (probably
> counting the spammers).
>
> I'm wondering if there are actually people reading all the stuff
> that's pushed through these channels.
>
> My gut feeling is that the few people reading these feeds are also
> those that would know to check the SLA if they encountered an issue,
> or know how to use the RSS feed of the SLA page if they really wanted
> the information in real time.
>
> Meanwhile, we don't really have social media channels dedicated to
> Wikimedia tech stuff, i.e. channels where we can actually post stuff,
> links, blog posts, outage info, etc and engage with a larger community
> of people interested in our tech operations. I feel that the accounts
> would be much more useful if we reduced the amount of semi-random
> information we post there.
>
> So, I'm basically proposing to repurpose the @wikimediatech accounts for
> this.
>
> Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? You don't care?
>
> --
> Guillaume Paumier
> Technical Communications Manager — Wikimedia Foundation
> http://donate.wikimedia.org

bvibber at wikimedia

Nov 29, 2011, 11:31 AM

Re: Who actually reads @wikimediatech ? [In reply to]

I think I either set those up or encouraged them to be set up a couple
years ago.

Most likely we would be better off with human updates in there, but we may
need some designated tweeters to make sure it happens reliably when there
are issues to report, new features to mention, or upcoming stuff we want
feedback on.

-- brion
On Nov 29, 2011 11:25 AM, "Guillaume Paumier" <gpaumier [at] wikimedia>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We've had @wikimediatech accounts on twitter & identica for some time now:
> * http://identi.ca/wikimediatech
> * https://twitter.com/#!/wikimediatech
> that basically broadcast every single action that is logged to the
> server admin log:
> * http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/Server_admin_log
>
> The account has 78 followers on identica and 430 on twitter (probably
> counting the spammers).
>
> I'm wondering if there are actually people reading all the stuff
> that's pushed through these channels.
>
> My gut feeling is that the few people reading these feeds are also
> those that would know to check the SLA if they encountered an issue,
> or know how to use the RSS feed of the SLA page if they really wanted
> the information in real time.
>
> Meanwhile, we don't really have social media channels dedicated to
> Wikimedia tech stuff, i.e. channels where we can actually post stuff,
> links, blog posts, outage info, etc and engage with a larger community
> of people interested in our tech operations. I feel that the accounts
> would be much more useful if we reduced the amount of semi-random
> information we post there.
>
> So, I'm basically proposing to repurpose the @wikimediatech accounts for
> this.
>
> Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? You don't care?
>
> --
> Guillaume Paumier
> Technical Communications Manager — Wikimedia Foundation
> http://donate.wikimedia.org

strainu10 at gmail

Nov 29, 2011, 11:31 AM

Re: Who actually reads @wikimediatech ? [In reply to]

2011/11/29 Guillaume Paumier <gpaumier [at] wikimedia>:
> Hi all,
>
> We've had @wikimediatech accounts on twitter & identica for some time now:
> * http://identi.ca/wikimediatech
> * https://twitter.com/#!/wikimediatech
> that basically broadcast every single action that is logged to the
> server admin log:
> * http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/Server_admin_log

I don't use microblogging platforms, so the answer to your question
would be "I don't care". However, when I do need to check something in
the Server admin log, I can almost never remember it's address (the
domain, to be more precise) and I have to go digging in the favorites.
Perhaps a short URL would help?

Thanks,
Strainu

roan.kattouw at gmail

Nov 29, 2011, 11:32 AM

Re: Who actually reads @wikimediatech ? [In reply to]

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Guillaume Paumier
<gpaumier [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> I'm wondering if there are actually people reading all the stuff
> that's pushed through these channels.
>
> My gut feeling is that the few people reading these feeds are also
> those that would know to check the SLA if they encountered an issue,
> or know how to use the RSS feed of the SLA page if they really wanted
> the information in real time.

Yeah, I use it, but really just because it's the laziest way to read
the SAL. To be quite honest, my identica noise would be a lot lower
without @wikimediatech .

> Meanwhile, we don't really have social media channels dedicated to
> Wikimedia tech stuff, i.e. channels where we can actually post stuff,
> links, blog posts, outage info, etc and engage with a larger community
> of people interested in our tech operations. I feel that the accounts
> would be much more useful if we reduced the amount of semi-random
> information we post there.
>
> So, I'm basically proposing to repurpose the @wikimediatech accounts for this.
>
> Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? You don't care?

+1, let's do it.

Roan

arichards at wikimedia

Nov 29, 2011, 11:38 AM

Re: Who actually reads @wikimediatech ? [In reply to]

I read it, I like it, and I find it useful - particularly when I'm in
transit.

I agree it would be neat to be able to use twitter/identica for actual
humans to post stuff, but I don't think these need to be mutually exclusive
goals. Would it be silly to have separate accounts? One specifically for
bot logging and one specifically for actual human communication?

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Roan Kattouw <roan.kattouw [at] gmail>wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Guillaume Paumier
> <gpaumier [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> > I'm wondering if there are actually people reading all the stuff
> > that's pushed through these channels.
> >
> > My gut feeling is that the few people reading these feeds are also
> > those that would know to check the SLA if they encountered an issue,
> > or know how to use the RSS feed of the SLA page if they really wanted
> > the information in real time.
> >
> Yeah, I use it, but really just because it's the laziest way to read
> the SAL. To be quite honest, my identica noise would be a lot lower
> without @wikimediatech .
>
> > Meanwhile, we don't really have social media channels dedicated to
> > Wikimedia tech stuff, i.e. channels where we can actually post stuff,
> > links, blog posts, outage info, etc and engage with a larger community
> > of people interested in our tech operations. I feel that the accounts
> > would be much more useful if we reduced the amount of semi-random
> > information we post there.
> >
> > So, I'm basically proposing to repurpose the @wikimediatech accounts for
> this.
> >
> > Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? You don't care?
> >
> +1, let's do it.
>
> Roan

Arthur Richards
Software Engineer
Fundraising/Features/Offline/Mobile
[[User:Awjrichards]]
IRC: awjr
+1-415-839-6885 x6687

gpaumier at wikimedia

Nov 29, 2011, 11:44 AM

Re: Who actually reads @wikimediatech ? [In reply to]

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Arthur Richards
<arichards [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> I read it, I like it, and I find it useful - particularly when I'm in
> transit.
>
> I agree it would be neat to be able to use twitter/identica for actual
> humans to post stuff, but I don't think these need to be mutually exclusive
> goals. Would it be silly to have separate accounts? One specifically for
> bot logging and one specifically for actual human communication?

Not silly at all. As a matter of fact, while you were writing that, I
was registering @wikitechlog on both services, which I think is a
better alternative for automated notifications.

So, unless there are serious concerns, we'll be switching the
automated notifications to @wikitechlog, and we'll repurpose
@wikimediatech for the human stuff.

--
Guillaume Paumier
Technical Communications Manager — Wikimedia Foundation
http://donate.wikimedia.org

sebastian.sooth at wikimedia

Nov 29, 2011, 11:45 AM

Re: Who actually reads @wikimediatech ? [In reply to]

Hi,

I use it (since two days - after I found this account), because it's the fastest way to the SAL updates for me.

But I would also use an account like @wikimediatechSAL - so I think it would be fine if you would use @wikimediatech for communications - as long as you set up a new twitter account for SAL-Updates. :)

Regards,

Sebastian Sooth

Projektmanager / IT Management
-------------------------------------
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Eisenacher Strae 2
10777 Berlin

Telefon 030 - 219 158 26-0
www.wikimedia.de

Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

**** Helfen Sie mit, dass WIKIPEDIA von der UNESCO als erstes digitales Weltkulturerbe anerkannt wird.
Unterzeichnen Sie die Online-Petition! http://wikipedia.de ****

Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Frderung Freien Wissens e. V.
Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinntzig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt fr Krperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

On 29.11.2011, at 20:25, Guillaume Paumier wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We've had @wikimediatech accounts on twitter & identica for some time now:
> * http://identi.ca/wikimediatech
> * https://twitter.com/#!/wikimediatech
> that basically broadcast every single action that is logged to the
> server admin log:
> * http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/Server_admin_log
>
> The account has 78 followers on identica and 430 on twitter (probably
> counting the spammers).
>
> I'm wondering if there are actually people reading all the stuff
> that's pushed through these channels.
>
> My gut feeling is that the few people reading these feeds are also
> those that would know to check the SLA if they encountered an issue,
> or know how to use the RSS feed of the SLA page if they really wanted
> the information in real time.
>
> Meanwhile, we don't really have social media channels dedicated to
> Wikimedia tech stuff, i.e. channels where we can actually post stuff,
> links, blog posts, outage info, etc and engage with a larger community
> of people interested in our tech operations. I feel that the accounts
> would be much more useful if we reduced the amount of semi-random
> information we post there.
>
> So, I'm basically proposing to repurpose the @wikimediatech accounts for this.
>
> Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? You don't care?
>
> --
> Guillaume Paumier
> Technical Communications Manager Wikimedia Foundation
> http://donate.wikimedia.org

bharris at wikimedia

Nov 29, 2011, 11:48 AM

Re: Who actually reads @wikimediatech ? [In reply to]

Do we *have* to rename the feeds?

We rename *everything*. I'm unsure why we can't just create a different
account for people, rather than subvert the existing one.
WikimediaTechNews, maybe. I don't know.

On 11/29/11 11:44 AM, Guillaume Paumier wrote:

> Not silly at all. As a matter of fact, while you were writing that, I
> was registering @wikitechlog on both services, which I think is a
> better alternative for automated notifications.
>
> So, unless there are serious concerns, we'll be switching the
> automated notifications to @wikitechlog, and we'll repurpose
> @wikimediatech for the human stuff.

--
Brandon Harris, Senior Designer, Wikimedia Foundation

gpaumier at wikimedia

Nov 29, 2011, 11:53 AM

Re: Who actually reads @wikimediatech ? [In reply to]

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Brandon Harris <bharris [at] wikimedia> wrote:

>        Do we *have* to rename the feeds?
>
>        We rename *everything*. I'm unsure why we can't just create a different
> account for people, rather than subvert the existing one.
> WikimediaTechNews, maybe. I don't know.

wikimediatech is shorter (which facilitates manual retweets) and
frankly it's the name I would consider canonical for an account about
wikimedia tech stuff (@wikitech is someone else).

Plus, we get to leverage the existing readership, while at the same
time offering the possibility to subscribe to the automated log
notifications for people who still want to read them.

--
Guillaume Paumier
Technical Communications Manager — Wikimedia Foundation

bharris at wikimedia

Nov 29, 2011, 11:57 AM

Re: Who actually reads @wikimediatech ? [In reply to]

There's only 78 followers. Most of them are staff. That's not a lot of
people to leverage, so I'm not sure that's a valid point.

Why not "wmftech" ?

On 11/29/11 11:53 AM, Guillaume Paumier wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Brandon Harris<bharris [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>>
>> Do we *have* to rename the feeds?
>>
>> We rename *everything*. I'm unsure why we can't just create a different
>> account for people, rather than subvert the existing one.
>> WikimediaTechNews, maybe. I don't know.
>
> wikimediatech is shorter (which facilitates manual retweets) and
> frankly it's the name I would consider canonical for an account about
> wikimedia tech stuff (@wikitech is someone else).
>
> Plus, we get to leverage the existing readership, while at the same
> time offering the possibility to subscribe to the automated log
> notifications for people who still want to read them.

--
Brandon Harris, Senior Designer, Wikimedia Foundation

gpaumier at wikimedia

Nov 29, 2011, 12:04 PM

Re: Who actually reads @wikimediatech ? [In reply to]

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Brandon Harris <bharris [at] wikimedia> wrote:

>        There's only 78 followers. Most of them are staff.  That's not a lot of
> people to leverage, so I'm not sure that's a valid point.

78 on identica, 430 on twitter

>        Why not "wmftech" ?

Because initialisms are plain Evil, and Wikimedia != WMF.

If there is any other reason that you think should prevent us from
doing the switch (besides personal comfort), I'm happy to hear them
(on or off-list).

--
Guillaume Paumier
Technical Communications Manager — Wikimedia Foundation
http://donate.wikimedia.org

innocentkiller at gmail

Nov 29, 2011, 12:28 PM

Re: Who actually reads @wikimediatech ? [In reply to]

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Guillaume Paumier
<gpaumier [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> The account has 78 followers on identica and 430 on twitter (probably
> counting the spammers).

Make that 77 and 429. Just unsubscribed from both because I
haven't read them in forever...actually, I never really read them.

I get info straight from the SAL.

-Chad

aude.wiki at gmail

Nov 29, 2011, 12:50 PM

Re: Who actually reads @wikimediatech ? [In reply to]

On Nov 29, 2011, at 3:04 PM, Guillaume Paumier
<gpaumier [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Brandon Harris
> <bharris [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>>
>> There's only 78 followers. Most of them are staff. That's
>> not a lot of
>> people to leverage, so I'm not sure that's a valid point.
>
> 78 on identica, 430 on twitter
>
>> Why not "wmftech" ?
>
> Because initialisms are plain Evil, and Wikimedia != WMF.
>
> If there is any other reason that you think should prevent us from
> doing the switch (besides personal comfort), I'm happy to hear them
> (on or off-list).

Why can't we do both the switch on @wikimediatech and for those of us
who find the server log tweets interesting, how about have
@wikimediaops?

Cheers,
Katie

> --
> Guillaume Paumier
> Technical Communications Manager — Wikimedia Foundation
> http://donate.wikimedia.org

jra at baylink

Nov 29, 2011, 1:02 PM

Re: Who actually reads @wikimediatech ? [In reply to]