Forbidden access

send.to.khalida at gmail

Nov 26, 2011, 11:54 AM

Forbidden access

For my research I need to download 3 files:

- [LANGCODE]wiki-[DATE]-pages-articles.xml.bz2 *OR*
[LANGCODE]wiki-[DATE]-pages-meta-current.xml.bz2
- [LANGCODE]wiki-[DATE]-pagelinks.sql.gz
- [LANGCODE]wiki-[DATE]-categorylinks.sql.gz

I downloaded the 2 first ones. Now I can not have an access to all download
pages (eg. http://dumps.wikimedia.org/enwiki/). The browser shows this
message : 403-Fobidden.

I need to know why the access is naw forbidden and how to solve this
problem.

ariel at wikimedia

Nov 26, 2011, 12:05 PM

Re: Forbidden access [In reply to]

Hello,

I just checked the pagelinks and categorylinks files here:

http://dumps.wikimedia.org/enwiki/20111115/

and they are accessible. Can you give a couple of specific links that
did not work?

Ariel

Στις 26-11-2011, ημέρα Σαβ, και ώρα 20:54 +0100, ο/η Khalida BEN SIDI
AHMED έγραψε:
> For my research I need to download 3 files:
>
> - [LANGCODE]wiki-[DATE]-pages-articles.xml.bz2 *OR*
> [LANGCODE]wiki-[DATE]-pages-meta-current.xml.bz2
> - [LANGCODE]wiki-[DATE]-pagelinks.sql.gz
> - [LANGCODE]wiki-[DATE]-categorylinks.sql.gz
>
> I downloaded the 2 first ones. Now I can not have an access to all download
> pages (eg. http://dumps.wikimedia.org/enwiki/). The browser shows this
> message : 403-Fobidden.
>
> I need to know why the access is naw forbidden and how to solve this
> problem.

send.to.khalida at gmail

Nov 26, 2011, 12:58 PM

Re: Forbidden access [In reply to]

Hello !

For example http://dumps.wikimedia.org/enwiki/ ,
http://dumps.wikimedia.org/frwiki/ ,
http://dumps.wikimedia.org/backup-index.html ,

all they d'ont work.

2011/11/26 Ariel T. Glenn <ariel [at] wikimedia>

> Hello,
>
> I just checked the pagelinks and categorylinks files here:
>
> http://dumps.wikimedia.org/enwiki/20111115/
>
> and they are accessible. Can you give a couple of specific links that
> did not work?
>
> Ariel
>
> 26-11-2011, , 20:54 +0100, / Khalida BEN SIDI
> AHMED :
> > For my research I need to download 3 files:
> >
> > - [LANGCODE]wiki-[DATE]-pages-articles.xml.bz2 *OR*
> > [LANGCODE]wiki-[DATE]-pages-meta-current.xml.bz2
> > - [LANGCODE]wiki-[DATE]-pagelinks.sql.gz
> > - [LANGCODE]wiki-[DATE]-categorylinks.sql.gz
> >
> > I downloaded the 2 first ones. Now I can not have an access to all
> download
> > pages (eg. http://dumps.wikimedia.org/enwiki/). The browser shows this
> > message : 403-Fobidden.
> >
> > I need to know why the access is naw forbidden and how to solve this
> > problem.

innocentkiller at gmail

Nov 26, 2011, 1:00 PM

Re: Forbidden access [In reply to]

2011/11/26 Khalida BEN SIDI AHMED <send.to.khalida [at] gmail>:
> Hello !
>
> For example http://dumps.wikimedia.org/enwiki/ ,
> http://dumps.wikimedia.org/frwiki/ ,
> http://dumps.wikimedia.org/backup-index.html ,
>
> all they d'ont work.

They all work for me as well. Perhaps you should check with
your ISP?

-Chad

send.to.khalida at gmail

Nov 26, 2011, 1:02 PM

Re: Forbidden access [In reply to]

Even http://dumps.wikimedia.org/enwiki/20111115/ doesn't work.
The text what the browser shows is alaways the same : 403 - Forbidden

innocentkiller at gmail

Nov 26, 2011, 1:03 PM

Re: Forbidden access [In reply to]

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Khalida BEN SIDI AHMED
<send.to.khalida [at] gmail> wrote:
> Even  http://dumps.wikimedia.org/enwiki/20111115/  doesn't work.
> The text what the browser shows is alaways the same : 403 - Forbidden

That link works for me too. Since they're working for Ariel and myself,
I'm pretty sure the problem isn't on our end.

-Chad

send.to.khalida at gmail

Nov 26, 2011, 1:08 PM

Re: Forbidden access [In reply to]

In fact, I'm downloading now enwiki-latest-pagelinks.sql.gz in my laptop (
wifi connection).
All the links of Wikipedia are forbidden either in my laptop or in my pc
(linked internet connection).
I stopped the downlod and the links are accessible.

rarohde at gmail

Nov 26, 2011, 1:21 PM

Re: Forbidden access [In reply to]

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Khalida BEN SIDI AHMED
<send.to.khalida [at] gmail> wrote:
> In fact, I'm downloading now enwiki-latest-pagelinks.sql.gz in my laptop (
> wifi connection).
> All the links of Wikipedia are forbidden either in my laptop or in my pc
> (linked internet connection).
> I stopped the downlod and the links are accessible.

As I recall, dumps.wikimedia.org has a relatively low concurrency
limit. Something like 2 or 4 simultaneous downloads. After that, all
further connections give a 403 error until earlier connections finish.
If you are downloading a number of dump files, it is pretty easy to
try to open more downloads at the same time than the limit will allow.

I suspect that is what happened here.

-Robert Rohde

send.to.khalida at gmail

Nov 26, 2011, 1:26 PM

Re: Forbidden access [In reply to]

The solution I have found is that I stopped downloading
enwiki-latest-pagelinks.sql.gz on my laptop (wifi) using free download
manager.
I started the download of categorylinks file on my pc (without any download
accelerator).
Finally I restarted the 1st download.
The two downloads are now happenning simultaniously.

Thank you very much indeed for your responses.

Truly yours
Khalida Ben Sidi Ahmed