Medium-sized gadget project: Consolidated diffs

erik at wikimedia

Nov 10, 2011, 1:41 PM

Medium-sized gadget project: Consolidated diffs

The WMF folks organizing education programs around the world (where
students improve Wikipedia articles as an assignment) are looking for
better tools for professors to review student contribs.

One of the needs that's come up is a more user-friendly, consolidated
view of all changes made by a user -- either for a timeframe, or a
given page.

That is:
* allow student/ page-level filtering of contribs
* render a sequence of diffs, as opposed to a sequence of page titles
* collapse a sequence of edits into a single diff

Brion suggested this could be done through a gadget/user script that
utilizes the API. You'd fetch diffs one-by-one for each chunk via the
API (can load them asynchronously onto the same page, allowing the
reviewer to start on the latest or earliest edits and keep on going
even while things load).

This shouldn't cause extra load versus loading the same diffs
manually, but will be a lot nicer for the person reviewing it.

Any takers? This could make a big difference for getting hundreds more
students to work on educational content -- it's a Good Thing. And it's
probably useful in and of itself.

Erik
--
Erik Möller

neilk at wikimedia

Nov 10, 2011, 2:13 PM

Re: Medium-sized gadget project: Consolidated diffs [In reply to]

I was interested in this a while back too... turns out Andy Baio
sponsored a contest to do just this back in 2005.

http://waxy.org/2005/06/wikipedia_histo/

John Resig (author of jQuery) submitted this:

http://ejohn.org/projects/aniwiki/

Some months ago, I fiddled with AniWiki but didn't get it to work on
current MediaWiki. Nevertheless this
seems like a good place to start.

There's also this, but it needs Greasemonkey, and once again is probably
broken on current MW.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/1418

--
Neil Kandalgaonkar ( ) <neilk [at] wikimedia>

erik at wikimedia

Nov 10, 2011, 6:54 PM

Re: Medium-sized gadget project: Consolidated diffs [In reply to]

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Neil Kandalgaonkar <neilk [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> I was interested in this a while back too... turns out Andy Baio sponsored a
> contest to do just this back in 2005.

Yeah, I remember those. Animating page history is cool, but not quite
what the professors need for the review of students' contribs. I used
the word "sequence" ambiguously -- here's what I mean:

A page like this:

Username (required):
Pagename (optional):
Start date (optional):
End date (optional):

[ Show contributions ]

When the "Show contributions" button is pressed, we start loading
diffs and rendering them below each other, like so:

Page Foo
modified on timestamp

(Diff, either side-by-side or formatted/unified)

Page Bar
modified on timestamp

(Diff)

Page Baz
modified on timestamp

(spinner, still loading)..

This would allow the professors to review all edits that a student has
made more quickly than manually going through their contribs, and I'm
sure anyone patrolling a user's edits would find it useful.

--
Erik Möller

jeremy at tuxmachine

Nov 10, 2011, 8:17 PM

Re: Medium-sized gadget project: Consolidated diffs [In reply to]

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 21:54, Erik Moeller <erik [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> Yeah, I remember those. Animating page history is cool, but not quite
> what the professors need for the review of students' contribs. I used
> the word "sequence" ambiguously -- here's what I mean:

[...]

I'm confused. What is the expected appearance when a user has edited a
page more than once? do we collapse all edits for that user for a time
period into one big mega diff? or is this only to show the diffs
faster than they'd be able to view them by hand? (i imagine some
professors may take intermediate changes into acct not just the diff
from end to end of the time period)

-Jeremy

Platonides at gmail

Nov 11, 2011, 1:31 PM

Re: Medium-sized gadget project: Consolidated diffs [In reply to]

Jeremy Baron wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 21:54, Erik Moeller <erik [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>> Yeah, I remember those. Animating page history is cool, but not quite
>> what the professors need for the review of students' contribs. I used
>> the word "sequence" ambiguously -- here's what I mean:
>>
> [...]
>
> I'm confused. What is the expected appearance when a user has edited a
> page more than once? do we collapse all edits for that user for a time
> period into one big mega diff? or is this only to show the diffs
> faster than they'd be able to view them by hand? (i imagine some
> professors may take intermediate changes into acct not just the diff
> from end to end of the time period)
>
> -Jeremy

IMHO, if they are contiguous, collapse (perhaps showing all summaries
and an option to uncollapse).
For non-contiguous, show them separated, with a note like "3 edits by
other people".

erik at wikimedia

Nov 14, 2011, 12:26 PM

Re: Medium-sized gadget project: Consolidated diffs [In reply to]

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Platonides <Platonides [at] gmail> wrote:
> IMHO, if they are contiguous, collapse (perhaps showing all summaries
> and an option to uncollapse).
> For non-contiguous, show them separated, with a note like "3 edits by
> other people".

That sounds right to me.

I've added a few more notes here:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gadget_Kitchen/Requests

(This is a new page and part of my nefarious efforts to create
centralized spaces for gadget development. I'll post it to the en.wp
user scripts wikiproject as well.)

Thanks for any help with this one,
Erik
--