Coding challenge about to land. :)

greg.dekoenigsberg at gmail

Oct 20, 2011, 6:02 PM

Coding challenge about to land. :)

Hello all. We are about to kick off the October 2011 Coding
Challenge, to which Erik alluded in his emails yesterday. I just
wanted to offer a brief word of thanks to all at Wikimedia who have
helped to put this together, and express my sense of what it is that
we're doing.

This is an experiment. It may be brilliant, or it may not be.
Offering a big prize for challenge winners may be a master stroke, or
it may be a terrible mistake. The contest may yield lots of smart
developers or lots of clueless noobs. There may be a torrent of new
voices overwhelming #mediawiki and wikitech-l, or there may be no one
at all. I have no idea what to expect, and I'm not about to pretend
otherwise. I will be fascinated to see how the next few weeks play
out.

One thing I am confident about: from everything I've observed about
the Wikimedia technical community so far, I'm not the least bit
worried about how noobs will be received. In some communities, this
would be a note begging everyone to please, *please* not be to mean to
the noobs -- but in this community, I only feel obliged to thank all
of you in advance for being helpful and patient, as I know you will
be.

If you have any questions or concerns about the contest, feel free to
raise them here on the list, or address them to me personally.

--g

sgardner at wikimedia

Oct 20, 2011, 8:28 PM

Re: Coding challenge about to land. :) [In reply to]

I signed up just to test the form. Do not bite me! :-)

No, really, I think it looks great. I hope we surface lots of
wonderful new people :-)
Sue

--
Sue Gardner
Executive Director

415 839 6885 office
415 816 9967 cell

the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!

On 20 October 2011 18:02, Greg DeKoenigsberg
<greg.dekoenigsberg [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hello all.  We are about to kick off the October 2011 Coding
> Challenge, to which Erik alluded in his emails yesterday.  I just
> wanted to offer a brief word of thanks to all at Wikimedia who have
> helped to put this together, and express my sense of what it is that
> we're doing.
>
> This is an experiment.  It may be brilliant, or it may not be.
> Offering a big prize for challenge winners may be a master stroke, or
> it may be a terrible mistake.  The contest may yield lots of smart
> developers or lots of clueless noobs.  There may be a torrent of new
> voices overwhelming #mediawiki and wikitech-l, or there may be no one
> at all.  I have no idea what to expect, and I'm not about to pretend
> otherwise.  I will be fascinated to see how the next few weeks play
> out.
>
> One thing I am confident about: from everything I've observed about
> the Wikimedia technical community so far, I'm not the least bit
> worried about how noobs will be received.  In some communities, this
> would be a note begging everyone to please, *please* not be to mean to
> the noobs -- but in this community, I only feel obliged to thank all
> of you in advance for being helpful and patient, as I know you will
> be.
>
> If you have any questions or concerns about the contest, feel free to
> raise them here on the list, or address them to me personally.
>
> --g

scs at eskimo

Oct 20, 2011, 8:31 PM

Re: Coding challenge about to land. :) [In reply to]

Would I sound like a reactionary old crank if I asked why
the coding challenge welcome page requires JavaScript?
Without it, one can't even see the list of challenges!

greg.dekoenigsberg at gmail

Oct 20, 2011, 8:50 PM

Re: Coding challenge about to land. :) [In reply to]

No. You'd sound like an ideal tester hitting a use case we didn't even
consider. Will look into it.

--g
On Oct 20, 2011 8:29 PM, "Steve Summit" <scs [at] eskimo> wrote:

> Would I sound like a reactionary old crank if I asked why
> the coding challenge welcome page requires JavaScript?
> Without it, one can't even see the list of challenges!

Platonides at gmail

Oct 21, 2011, 4:02 PM

Re: Coding challenge about to land. :) [In reply to]

Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> No. You'd sound like an ideal tester hitting a use case we didn't even
> consider. Will look into it.
>
> --g

I don't want to sound harsh, Greg but... who are you? It seems it's the
first time you post here, yet your email is written as if you were in
charge of this.

PS: I've heard ED tastes delicious :)

preilly at wikimedia

Oct 21, 2011, 4:15 PM

Re: Coding challenge about to land. :) [In reply to]

Well, for the record the overall coding challenge project is being
coordinated by Greg DeKoenigsberg,
formerly Senior Community Architect at Red Hat. ;)

Patrick

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Platonides <Platonides [at] gmail> wrote:
> Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>> No. You'd sound like an ideal tester hitting a use case we didn't even
>> consider. Will look into it.
>>
>> --g
>
> I don't want to sound harsh, Greg but... who are you? It seems it's the
> first time you post here, yet your email is written as if you were in
> charge of this.
>

> PS: I've heard ED tastes delicious :)

tfinc at wikimedia

Oct 21, 2011, 4:24 PM

Re: Coding challenge about to land. :) [In reply to]

here is a snippet from an email that Erik send three days ago
explaining Gregs role.

subject: Heads up: Online coding challenge

The overall project is being coordinated by Greg DeKoenigsberg,
formerly Senior Community Architect at Red Hat. If you'd like to be
involved as a judge, please let him know (greg.dekoenigsberg at gmail
dot com).

--tomasz

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Platonides <Platonides [at] gmail> wrote:
> Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>> No. You'd sound like an ideal tester hitting a use case we didn't even
>> consider.  Will look into it.
>>
>> --g
>
> I don't want to sound harsh, Greg but... who are you? It seems it's the
> first time you post here, yet your email is written as if you were in
> charge of this.
>

> PS: I've heard ED tastes delicious :)

jeblad at gmail

Oct 21, 2011, 4:30 PM

Re: Coding challenge about to land. :) [In reply to]

Here is another "new" one, long time since I've been active on this list.

I've been thinking that this coding challenge is a good idea, and I
should probably try to whip together something. If I have the time. I
like the idea of giving the reader an experience of pages in
continuous change, but it should also gin an impression about the
present quality. So how to do that without killing caching and
responsiveness of the pages ...

jeblad

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Patrick Reilly <preilly [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> Well, for the record the overall coding challenge project is being
> coordinated by Greg DeKoenigsberg,
> formerly Senior Community Architect at Red Hat. ;)
>
> Patrick
>
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Platonides <Platonides [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>>> No. You'd sound like an ideal tester hitting a use case we didn't even
>>> consider. Will look into it.
>>>
>>> --g
>>
>> I don't want to sound harsh, Greg but... who are you? It seems it's the
>> first time you post here, yet your email is written as if you were in
>> charge of this.
>>

>> PS: I've heard ED tastes delicious :)

Platonides at gmail

Oct 22, 2011, 2:38 PM

Re: Coding challenge about to land. :) [In reply to]

On 22/10/11 01:24, Tomasz Finc wrote:
> here is a snippet from an email that Erik send three days ago
> explaining Gregs role.
>
> subject: Heads up: Online coding challenge
>
> The overall project is being coordinated by Greg DeKoenigsberg,
> formerly Senior Community Architect at Red Hat. If you'd like to be
> involved as a judge, please let him know (greg.dekoenigsberg at gmail
> dot com).
>
> --tomasz

Heh, good point. I looked for a "We just hired Greg DeKoenigsberg email"
didn't think into reading again Erik's mail.

danese at gmail

Oct 22, 2011, 3:13 PM

Re: Coding challenge about to land. :) [In reply to]

Hey Greg D-K...nice to see you involved ('bout time) ;-). A coding challenge is a great project for this community. Looking forward to see the results!

Danese

On Oct 20, 2011, at 6:02 PM, Greg DeKoenigsberg <greg.dekoenigsberg [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hello all. We are about to kick off the October 2011 Coding
> Challenge, to which Erik alluded in his emails yesterday. I just
> wanted to offer a brief word of thanks to all at Wikimedia who have
> helped to put this together, and express my sense of what it is that
> we're doing.
>
> This is an experiment. It may be brilliant, or it may not be.
> Offering a big prize for challenge winners may be a master stroke, or
> it may be a terrible mistake. The contest may yield lots of smart
> developers or lots of clueless noobs. There may be a torrent of new
> voices overwhelming #mediawiki and wikitech-l, or there may be no one
> at all. I have no idea what to expect, and I'm not about to pretend
> otherwise. I will be fascinated to see how the next few weeks play
> out.
>
> One thing I am confident about: from everything I've observed about
> the Wikimedia technical community so far, I'm not the least bit
> worried about how noobs will be received. In some communities, this
> would be a note begging everyone to please, *please* not be to mean to
> the noobs -- but in this community, I only feel obliged to thank all
> of you in advance for being helpful and patient, as I know you will
> be.
>
> If you have any questions or concerns about the contest, feel free to
> raise them here on the list, or address them to me personally.
>
> --g

greg.dekoenigsberg at gmail

Oct 23, 2011, 12:01 PM

Re: Coding challenge about to land. :) [In reply to]

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Platonides <Platonides [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 22/10/11 01:24, Tomasz Finc wrote:
>> here is a snippet from an email that Erik send three days ago
>> explaining Gregs role.
>>
>> subject: Heads up: Online coding challenge
>>
>> The overall project is being coordinated by Greg DeKoenigsberg,
>> formerly Senior Community Architect at Red Hat. If you'd like to be
>> involved as a judge, please let him know (greg.dekoenigsberg at gmail
>> dot com).
>>
>> --tomasz
>
> Heh, good point. I looked for a "We just hired Greg DeKoenigsberg email"
> didn't think into reading again Erik's mail.

It is a fair point, though. I've been working for the project for a
couple of months, so it's my fault that I hadn't communicated to this
list before now.

You'll be hearing more from me soon. Particularly when I start
begging the wikitech--l cognoscenti to be judges. :)

--g