Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: Wikitech

Help us develop the Wikipedia Android app

 

 

Wikipedia wikitech RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


tfinc at wikimedia

Oct 6, 2011, 6:19 PM

Post #1 of 5 (476 views)
Permalink
Help us develop the Wikipedia Android app

Greetings All,

Over the last couple of weeks a group of devs from Nitobi have been
putting together an Android Wikipedia App for us. They've been using
the PhoneGap framework to build the app and now it mostly has the same
features as our iOS app. I think it's finally gotten to a good state
for people to start hacking on it.

For those just wanting to get started here are the links

code: https://github.com/nitobi/Wikipedia
bugs: http://bit.ly/q1B9Bj
feature ideas: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Projects/App_Features_&_Roadmap#Features_committed

Right now the code is sitting in github but the plan is to move it
into our own git repo, alongside MediaWiki.

How can you help?

* Fork the code and help us with open bug requests
* Critique the code and suggest cleanup
* Port the app to iOS, Symbian, BlackBerry, Windows, WebOS, & Bada —
first get it running, then customize to each platform's look and feel
* Start to hack on new features like image uploads, starting a new
article, offline article saving, openZIM support, etc ...
* Localization for the user interface
* ... and whatever else you can come up with

Don't worry if you don't know Objective C, Java, etc .. All you need
to know is HTML5, CSS3, and JS. It's really simple to write these
apps.

Lots of pretty screen shots and a user flow diagram here :
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Projects/WikipediaAndroidApp

Come join us on #wikimedia-mobile and let us know how it goes.

--tomasz

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


tfinc at wikimedia

Oct 6, 2011, 6:25 PM

Post #2 of 5 (464 views)
Permalink
Re: Help us develop the Wikipedia Android app [In reply to]

One good question that Brion just asked me was when we plan to release
this app to the Android market.

We'd like to get the baseline app in the android market two weeks from
now. To track what we need to fix check out our tracker bug

https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31447

We need your help to make it happen.

--tomasz

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Tomasz Finc <tfinc [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> Over the last couple of weeks a group of devs from Nitobi have been
> putting together an Android Wikipedia App for us. They've been using
> the PhoneGap framework to build the app and now it mostly has the same
> features as our iOS app. I think it's finally gotten to a good state
> for people to start hacking on it.
>
> For those just wanting to get started here are the links
>
> code: https://github.com/nitobi/Wikipedia
> bugs: http://bit.ly/q1B9Bj
> feature ideas: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Projects/App_Features_&_Roadmap#Features_committed
>
> Right now the code is sitting in github but the plan is to move it
> into our own git repo, alongside MediaWiki.
>
> How can you help?
>
> * Fork the code and help us with open bug requests
> * Critique the code and suggest cleanup
> * Port the app to iOS, Symbian, BlackBerry, Windows, WebOS, & Bada —
> first get it running, then customize to each platform's look and feel
> * Start to hack on new features like image uploads, starting a new
> article, offline article saving, openZIM support, etc ...
> * Localization for the user interface
> * ... and whatever else you can come up with
>
> Don't worry if you don't know Objective C, Java, etc .. All you need
> to know is HTML5, CSS3, and JS. It's really simple to write these
> apps.
>
> Lots of pretty screen shots and a user flow diagram here :
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Projects/WikipediaAndroidApp
>
> Come join us on #wikimedia-mobile and let us know how it goes.
>
> --tomasz
>

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


innocentkiller at gmail

Oct 6, 2011, 7:24 PM

Post #3 of 5 (470 views)
Permalink
Re: Help us develop the Wikipedia Android app [In reply to]

Awesome! Haven't had a reason to fire up my Android environment recently.
I'll give it a shot.

-Chad
On Oct 6, 2011 9:26 PM, "Tomasz Finc" <tfinc [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> One good question that Brion just asked me was when we plan to release
> this app to the Android market.
>
> We'd like to get the baseline app in the android market two weeks from
> now. To track what we need to fix check out our tracker bug
>
> https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31447
>
> We need your help to make it happen.
>
> --tomasz
>
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Tomasz Finc <tfinc [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>> Greetings All,
>>
>> Over the last couple of weeks a group of devs from Nitobi have been
>> putting together an Android Wikipedia App for us. They've been using
>> the PhoneGap framework to build the app and now it mostly has the same
>> features as our iOS app. I think it's finally gotten to a good state
>> for people to start hacking on it.
>>
>> For those just wanting to get started here are the links
>>
>> code: https://github.com/nitobi/Wikipedia
>> bugs: http://bit.ly/q1B9Bj
>> feature ideas:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Projects/App_Features_&_Roadmap#Features_committed
>>
>> Right now the code is sitting in github but the plan is to move it
>> into our own git repo, alongside MediaWiki.
>>
>> How can you help?
>>
>> * Fork the code and help us with open bug requests
>> * Critique the code and suggest cleanup
>> * Port the app to iOS, Symbian, BlackBerry, Windows, WebOS, & Bada —
>> first get it running, then customize to each platform's look and feel
>> * Start to hack on new features like image uploads, starting a new
>> article, offline article saving, openZIM support, etc ...
>> * Localization for the user interface
>> * ... and whatever else you can come up with
>>
>> Don't worry if you don't know Objective C, Java, etc .. All you need
>> to know is HTML5, CSS3, and JS. It's really simple to write these
>> apps.
>>
>> Lots of pretty screen shots and a user flow diagram here :
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Projects/WikipediaAndroidApp
>>
>> Come join us on #wikimedia-mobile and let us know how it goes.
>>
>> --tomasz
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


stephen.bain at gmail

Oct 7, 2011, 3:03 PM

Post #4 of 5 (472 views)
Permalink
Re: Help us develop the Wikipedia Android app [In reply to]

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Tomasz Finc <tfinc [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>
> Over the last couple of weeks a group of devs from Nitobi have been
> putting together an Android Wikipedia App for us. They've been using
> the PhoneGap framework to build the app and now it mostly has the same
> features as our iOS app. I think it's finally gotten to a good state
> for people to start hacking on it.

Sweet, got this running on my Nexus S, performs very well already.
Apart from some holes where features haven't been added yet :)

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain [at] gmail

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


tfinc at wikimedia

Oct 7, 2011, 5:11 PM

Post #5 of 5 (475 views)
Permalink
Re: Help us develop the Wikipedia Android app [In reply to]

Stephen,

Come join us on #wikimedia-mobile and take a look at
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31447. That's the
tracker bug for what we want to fix before this can go live.

Lots of fun stuff to pick up

Android app makes search request for empty string -
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31479

Show exact matches of articles if found in search results -
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31463

Android app loses place across close/restart -
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31470

Migrate Javascript to jQuery in Android App -
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31465

And many more. Just make sure to assign any bug you pickup to yourself.

--tomasz



On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Tomasz Finc <tfinc [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>>
>> Over the last couple of weeks a group of devs from Nitobi have been
>> putting together an Android Wikipedia App for us. They've been using
>> the PhoneGap framework to build the app and now it mostly has the same
>> features as our iOS app. I think it's finally gotten to a good state
>> for people to start hacking on it.
>
> Sweet, got this running on my Nexus S, performs very well already.
> Apart from some holes where features haven't been added yet :)
>
> --
> Stephen Bain
> stephen.bain [at] gmail
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

Wikipedia wikitech RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.