Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: Wikitech

page view stats redux

 

 

Wikipedia wikitech RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


ariel at wikimedia

Sep 15, 2011, 3:38 AM

Post #1 of 19 (2228 views)
Permalink
page view stats redux

I think we finally have a complete copy from December 2007 through
August 2011 of the pageview stats scrounged from various sources, now
available on our dumps server.

See http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/pagecounts-raw/

Ariel




_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


z at mzmcbride

Sep 15, 2011, 3:16 PM

Post #2 of 19 (2198 views)
Permalink
Re: page view stats redux [In reply to]

Ariel T. Glenn wrote:
> I think we finally have a complete copy from December 2007 through
> August 2011 of the pageview stats scrounged from various sources, now
> available on our dumps server.
>
> See http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/pagecounts-raw/

This is a great step in the right direction! Thanks!

MZMcBride



_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


dvanliere at gmail

Sep 16, 2011, 8:26 AM

Post #3 of 19 (2189 views)
Permalink
Re: page view stats redux [In reply to]

This is really cool! Thanks Ariel and team for making this available.
best,
Diederik

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 5:16 PM, MZMcBride <z [at] mzmcbride> wrote:
> Ariel T. Glenn wrote:
>> I think we finally have a complete copy from December 2007 through
>> August 2011 of the pageview stats scrounged from various sources, now
>> available on our dumps server.
>>
>> See http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/pagecounts-raw/
>
> This is a great step in the right direction! Thanks!
>
> MZMcBride
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>



--
<a href="http://about.me/diederik">Check out my about.me profile!</a>

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


hfung at wikimedia

Sep 16, 2011, 10:14 AM

Post #4 of 19 (2194 views)
Permalink
Re: page view stats redux [In reply to]

Awesome! I'm so glad we have this. Thanks for making this happen.

Howie

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 8:26 AM, Diederik van Liere <dvanliere [at] gmail>wrote:

> This is really cool! Thanks Ariel and team for making this available.
> best,
> Diederik
>
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 5:16 PM, MZMcBride <z [at] mzmcbride> wrote:
> > Ariel T. Glenn wrote:
> >> I think we finally have a complete copy from December 2007 through
> >> August 2011 of the pageview stats scrounged from various sources, now
> >> available on our dumps server.
> >>
> >> See http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/pagecounts-raw/
> >
> > This is a great step in the right direction! Thanks!
> >
> > MZMcBride
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikitech-l mailing list
> > Wikitech-l [at] lists
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
> >
>
>
>
> --
> <a href="http://about.me/diederik">Check out my about.me profile!</a>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


jarry1250 at gmail

Sep 18, 2011, 3:55 AM

Post #5 of 19 (2198 views)
Permalink
Re: page view stats redux [In reply to]

Ariel T. Glenn wrote:
> I think we finally have a complete copy from December 2007 through
> August 2011 of the pageview stats scrounged from various sources, now
> available on our dumps server.

Great news!

I do think there should be a note about the systemic under-reporting
that made statistics from the last quarter of 2009 and first half of
2010 unreliable, however.

--
Harry (User:Jarry1250)

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


ariel at wikimedia

Sep 18, 2011, 4:04 AM

Post #6 of 19 (2189 views)
Permalink
Re: page view stats redux [In reply to]

Yes, and I've already been getting the information on that together so
it can be documented. :-)

Ariel

Στις 18-09-2011, ημέρα Κυρ, και ώρα 11:55 +0100, ο/η Harry Burt έγραψε:
> Ariel T. Glenn wrote:
> > I think we finally have a complete copy from December 2007 through
> > August 2011 of the pageview stats scrounged from various sources, now
> > available on our dumps server.
>
> Great news!
>
> I do think there should be a note about the systemic under-reporting
> that made statistics from the last quarter of 2009 and first half of
> 2010 unreliable, however.
>
> --
> Harry (User:Jarry1250)
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l



_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


emijrp at gmail

Sep 18, 2011, 10:34 AM

Post #7 of 19 (2191 views)
Permalink
Re: page view stats redux [In reply to]

Thanks Ariel. That is important data to preserve.

2011/9/15 Ariel T. Glenn <ariel [at] wikimedia>

> I think we finally have a complete copy from December 2007 through
> August 2011 of the pageview stats scrounged from various sources, now
> available on our dumps server.
>
> See http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/pagecounts-raw/
>
> Ariel
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


sean.timm at teamaol

Nov 7, 2011, 10:41 AM

Post #8 of 19 (2116 views)
Permalink
Re: page view stats redux [In reply to]

Ariel T. Glenn <ariel <at> wikimedia.org> writes:

>
> I think we finally have a complete copy from December 2007 through
> August 2011 of the pageview stats scrounged from various sources, now
> available on our dumps server.
>
> See http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/pagecounts-raw/
>
> Ariel
>


This is very cool. Thanks for the work, Ariel. I'm interested to look at the
historical data.

It appears that page view data is pushed to dumps.wikimedia.org daily. dammit.lt
used to push page view stats hourly, but it appears to be down now. Are hourly
pushes still available somewhere?

Thanks,
Sean



_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


ariel at wikimedia

Nov 7, 2011, 10:59 AM

Post #9 of 19 (2115 views)
Permalink
Re: page view stats redux [In reply to]

Στις 07-11-2011, ημέρα Δευ, και ώρα 18:41 +0000, ο/η Sean Timm έγραψε:
> Ariel T. Glenn <ariel <at> wikimedia.org> writes:
>
> >
> > I think we finally have a complete copy from December 2007 through
> > August 2011 of the pageview stats scrounged from various sources, now
> > available on our dumps server.
> >
> > See http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/pagecounts-raw/
> >
> > Ariel
> >
>
>
> This is very cool. Thanks for the work, Ariel. I'm interested to look at the
> historical data.
>
> It appears that page view data is pushed to dumps.wikimedia.org daily. dammit.lt
> used to push page view stats hourly, but it appears to be down now. Are hourly
> pushes still available somewhere?
>
> Thanks,
> Sean

I had thought to do a daily update. If it turns out that hourly updates
are indeed useful, I'll set that up. I don't know of anyone else that
has a current mirror.

Ariel




_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


midom.lists at gmail

Nov 7, 2011, 11:49 AM

Post #10 of 19 (2115 views)
Permalink
Re: page view stats redux [In reply to]

Hi!

> I had thought to do a daily update. If it turns out that hourly updates
> are indeed useful, I'll set that up. I don't know of anyone else that
> has a current mirror.

Yeh, don't believe anything I say, wait for someone on mailing list to tell you the same to make conclusions.

Domas
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


ikuya at ikuya

Nov 9, 2011, 5:21 AM

Post #11 of 19 (2105 views)
Permalink
Re: page view stats redux [In reply to]

> I had thought to do a daily update. If it turns out that hourly updates
> are indeed useful, I'll set that up. I don't know of anyone else that
> has a current mirror.

I had been using the hourly updated data previously provided
indammit.ltin order to detect the real-time trending topics in
Wikipedia. It is highly accurate and it seems that the data can
be used for varioususe cases.

So, I'd greatly appreciate it if you set it up.

Thanks,
Ikuya

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


sean.timm at teamaol

Nov 9, 2011, 7:07 AM

Post #12 of 19 (2103 views)
Permalink
Re: page view stats redux [In reply to]

On 11/9/2011 8:21 AM, Ikuya Yamada wrote:
>> I had thought to do a daily update. If it turns out that hourly updates
>> are indeed useful, I'll set that up. I don't know of anyone else that
>> has a current mirror.
>
> I had been using the hourly updated data previously provided
> in dammit.lt in order to detect the real-time trending topics in
> Wikipedia. It is highly accurate and it seems that the data can
> be used for various use cases.
>
> So, I'd greatly appreciate it if you set it up.
>
> Thanks,
> Ikuya

That is my use case as well.

Thanks,
Sean


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


ariel at wikimedia

Nov 12, 2011, 10:22 AM

Post #13 of 19 (2090 views)
Permalink
Re: page view stats redux [In reply to]

Στις 09-11-2011, ημέρα Τετ, και ώρα 10:07 -0500, ο/η Sean Timm έγραψε:
> On 11/9/2011 8:21 AM, Ikuya Yamada wrote:
> >> I had thought to do a daily update. If it turns out that hourly updates
> >> are indeed useful, I'll set that up. I don't know of anyone else that
> >> has a current mirror.
> >
> > I had been using the hourly updated data previously provided
> > in dammit.lt in order to detect the real-time trending topics in
> > Wikipedia. It is highly accurate and it seems that the data can
> > be used for various use cases.
> >
> > So, I'd greatly appreciate it if you set it up.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ikuya
>
> That is my use case as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Sean

The files should now be available automatically within the hour.

Ariel


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


ikuya at ikuya

Nov 16, 2011, 3:14 AM

Post #14 of 19 (2064 views)
Permalink
Re: page view stats redux [In reply to]

2011/11/13 Ariel T. Glenn <ariel [at] wikimedia (mailto:ariel [at] wikimedia)>:
> Στις 09-11-2011, ημέρα Τετ, και ώρα 10:07 -0500, ο/η Sean Timm έγραψε:
> > On 11/9/2011 8:21 AM, Ikuya Yamada wrote:
> > > > I had thought to do a daily update. If it turns out that hourly updates
> > > > are indeed useful, I'll set that up. I don't know of anyone else that
> > > > has a current mirror.
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > > I had been using the hourly updated data previously provided
> > > in dammit.lt (http://dammit.lt) in order to detect the real-time trending topics in
> > > Wikipedia. It is highly accurate and it seems that the data can
> > > be used for various use cases.
> > >
> > > So, I'd greatly appreciate it if you set it up.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ikuya
> > >
> >
> >
> > That is my use case as well.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sean
> >
>
>
> The files should now be available automatically within the hour.
>
> Ariel

Thanks!
But it seems that the update of pagecounts files is stopped for the
past few hours. Is this a temporary problem?

Thanks,
Ikuya


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


ariel at wikimedia

Nov 16, 2011, 10:27 AM

Post #15 of 19 (2062 views)
Permalink
Re: page view stats redux [In reply to]

> Thanks!
> But it seems that the update of pagecounts files is stopped for the
> past few hours. Is this a temporary problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Ikuya

Yes, very temporary. A mistaken side-effect of taking Domas' server out
of the loop; fixed.

Ariel



_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


zimzaz.wfz at gmail

Nov 16, 2011, 10:58 AM

Post #16 of 19 (2060 views)
Permalink
Re: page view stats redux [In reply to]

very cool! is there a readme or project page somewhere that explains what
all these files are?

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Ariel T. Glenn <ariel [at] wikimedia> wrote:

>
> > Thanks!
> > But it seems that the update of pagecounts files is stopped for the
> > past few hours. Is this a temporary problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ikuya
>
> Yes, very temporary. A mistaken side-effect of taking Domas' server out
> of the loop; fixed.
>
> Ariel
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


ariel at wikimedia

Nov 16, 2011, 11:05 AM

Post #17 of 19 (2061 views)
Permalink
Re: page view stats redux [In reply to]

Yes, the index page :-P ;-)

http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/pagecounts-raw/

Perhaps you have specific questions that aren't answered here? If so,
spill 'em and we'll try to add that information or links to it.

Ariel

Στις 16-11-2011, ημέρα Τετ, και ώρα 13:58 -0500, ο/η Fred Zimmerman
έγραψε:
> very cool! is there a readme or project page somewhere that explains what
> all these files are?
>
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Ariel T. Glenn <ariel [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>
> >
> > > Thanks!
> > > But it seems that the update of pagecounts files is stopped for the
> > > past few hours. Is this a temporary problem?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ikuya
> >
> > Yes, very temporary. A mistaken side-effect of taking Domas' server out
> > of the loop; fixed.
> >
> > Ariel
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikitech-l mailing list
> > Wikitech-l [at] lists
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l



_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


zimzaz.wfz at gmail

Nov 16, 2011, 11:18 AM

Post #18 of 19 (2062 views)
Permalink
Re: page view stats redux [In reply to]

blush. I just found that page. I was spending all my time looking at the
directory of the derived products. got it!


On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Ariel T. Glenn <ariel [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> Yes, the index page :-P ;-)
>
> http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/pagecounts-raw/
>
> Perhaps you have specific questions that aren't answered here? If so,
> spill 'em and we'll try to add that information or links to it.
>
> Ariel
>
> 16-11-2011, , 13:58 -0500, / Fred Zimmerman
> :
> > very cool! is there a readme or project page somewhere that explains what
> > all these files are?
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Ariel T. Glenn <ariel [at] wikimedia>
> wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > > Thanks!
> > > > But it seems that the update of pagecounts files is stopped for the
> > > > past few hours. Is this a temporary problem?
> > > >
> > > > Thanks,
> > > > Ikuya
> > >
> > > Yes, very temporary. A mistaken side-effect of taking Domas' server
> out
> > > of the loop; fixed.
> > >
> > > Ariel
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Wikitech-l mailing list
> > > Wikitech-l [at] lists
> > > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
> > >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikitech-l mailing list
> > Wikitech-l [at] lists
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


zimzaz.wfz at gmail

Nov 16, 2011, 11:23 AM

Post #19 of 19 (2065 views)
Permalink
Re: page view stats redux [In reply to]

Has anyone already done the work of determining which pages are "fastest
movers" in a way that can be shared? comparing the hour over hour stats for
each page would require a lot of resources ...


On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Ariel T. Glenn <ariel [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> Yes, the index page :-P ;-)
>
> http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/pagecounts-raw/
>
> Perhaps you have specific questions that aren't answered here? If so,
> spill 'em and we'll try to add that information or links to it.
>
> Ariel
>
> 16-11-2011, , 13:58 -0500, / Fred Zimmerman
> :
> > very cool! is there a readme or project page somewhere that explains what
> > all these files are?
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Ariel T. Glenn <ariel [at] wikimedia>
> wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > > Thanks!
> > > > But it seems that the update of pagecounts files is stopped for the
> > > > past few hours. Is this a temporary problem?
> > > >
> > > > Thanks,
> > > > Ikuya
> > >
> > > Yes, very temporary. A mistaken side-effect of taking Domas' server
> out
> > > of the loop; fixed.
> > >
> > > Ariel
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Wikitech-l mailing list
> > > Wikitech-l [at] lists
> > > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
> > >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikitech-l mailing list
> > Wikitech-l [at] lists
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

Wikipedia wikitech RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.